Looking for some Lake Macquarie tips

Fischerfishin

Hi raiders,

Im heading up to Lake Macquarie next weekend and looking for some tips. 

I’m planning on using just a light lure setup with 10 pound braid to 16pound leader. Using a range of lures and soft plastics, and also if we get some squid or baitfish then will drop some bait on my medium setup. I also have a 3.7m tinny we will be going around in.

Does anyone know this System well and can shed some light on where to fish, mainly for some salmon, tailor, bream and Flathead. Also somewhere for some squid. From my research it looks like the entrance to the lake at Swansea is good for salmon on the rising tide.Green point has come up abit depending on the swell. And also the artificial reefs within the lake.

Obviously winter fishing is abit harder going and that’s why I’m after someone who knows this system better and can lead me in the right direction. Any tips would be helpful.

Happy fishing ?

Edited by Fischerfishin

Hi FF! If you use the search function you will find lots of threads about fishing Lake Mac and Swansea. I have usually only fished the Swansea area drifting live baits and working lures for flathead in Swansea Channel and over the drop off into the lake. I usually do this in summer but I once read that the big fish can be found in the spring, which is not far off. ?

Good luck!

I haven't fished it for a couple of weeks but its been a good winter for salmon and tailor and I suspect they are still in the lake and active. Try around Pulbah island - if you're lucky you'll find birds so you can hone in on them otherwise I usually troll looking for balls of baitfish then try casting. I have found smaller lures are better - 10g and 20g chromies for casting seemed to work best when casting.