Trailer repair

Peter Nelson

Hi All

I decided to take on the trailer repair that I've been putting off for some time.

The 2 cross members were rusting through on the bends on the RHS. I started seeing day light through them in one spot so i thought I better get on to it. After grinding the welds off and smashing them off with a hammer the rusted holes opened right up and a fair amount of rusted steel came out indicating how bad of shape they were in. Good thing I decided to take it on before they snapped.

Initially I was put off by the thought of removing the boat from the trailer onto the grass, but it turned out to be fairly easy for just me and the wife. In the end I put the boat on and back off again by myself as the bunks were not in the correct position due to the cross members being slightly different and the bolt on brackets no suiting the bend in the RHS. In the end i cut off the u shaped bit from the bracket and welding it directly to the cross member.

I had some trouble with the el cheapo mig I borrowed doing my vertical welds due to it only having 2 settings and wire feed all over the place but by my last weld I had it sorted ( a good tradesman never blames his tools, Ha Ha).

All in all very happy with the end result and gave it 1 under coat, 2 top coats, tectyle on the welds and fish oiled over the top so hop that keeps the rust away.

IMG_8934.JPG

IMG_8935.JPG

IMG_8936.JPG

IMG_8939.JPG

IMG_8941.JPG

IMG_8944.JPG

IMG_8951.JPG

IMG_8952.JPG

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Looks like you did a great job! Well done ? 

cheers scratchie!!! 

I'm with Scratchie.Looks like you where running on borrowed time berore a major failure occured.Hope you have many more years of happy trailering ahead.

Cheers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hateanchors said:

It always satisfying to DIY and I love metal work jobs.

You have done a great job there and added more life to the trailer. Btw your vertical weld looks better than the horizontal. 

Cheers mate, yeah I stuffed that one up. First time I've used flux core wire and cheap welder posed a few challenges and curse words

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2018 at 3:37 PM, Peter Nelson said:

Hi All

I decided to take on the trailer repair that I've been putting off for some time.

The 2 cross members were rusting through on the bends on the RHS. I started seeing day light through them in one spot so i thought I better get on to it. After grinding the welds off and smashing them off with a hammer the rusted holes opened right up and a fair amount of rusted steel came out indicating how bad of shape they were in. Good thing I decided to take it on before they snapped.

Initially I was put off by the thought of removing the boat from the trailer onto the grass, but it turned out to be fairly easy for just me and the wife. In the end I put the boat on and back off again by myself as the bunks were not in the correct position due to the cross members being slightly different and the bolt on brackets no suiting the bend in the RHS. In the end i cut off the u shaped bit from the bracket and welding it directly to the cross member.

I had some trouble with the el cheapo mig I borrowed doing my vertical welds due to it only having 2 settings and wire feed all over the place but by my last weld I had it sorted ( a good tradesman never blames his tools, Ha Ha).

All in all very happy with the end result and gave it 1 under coat, 2 top coats, tectyle on the welds and fish oiled over the top so hop that keeps the rust away.

IMG_8934.JPG

IMG_8935.JPG

IMG_8936.JPG

IMG_8939.JPG

IMG_8941.JPG

IMG_8944.JPG

IMG_8951.JPG

IMG_8952.JPG

Nice job...?