Squidding high current areas

kiwicraig

I tried squidding off a jetty in Woy Woy the other day.  There is significant tidal flow in the area and I simply could not keep in touch with the jig.  I was running braid down to a swivel, flouro leader to the jig.  The area looks like it has the right elements - sea grass beds, clear water, lights at night.  Are there better rigs to use in high current areas? I've heard of people using paternoster rigs - how do you work those? Or am I wasting my time when the tide is running strongly?

I often use the posternoster rig but mostly for deeper water rather than fast currents.  I have caught squid in fast water such as the channel at Narooma but unless there are good weed beds that they can seak shelter, I think they much prefer slower current areas.  Ron 

We cast for squid in swansea channell off the bank  it runs at 4 to 5 knots   i add a small o  or 1  size ball sinker to the nose of the jig..thread the line thru the sinker twice  tie to jig  slide sinker down to jig..the jig gets down near the bottom heaps quicker just work it back a bit faster than mormal and it will stay down in the zone longer...sinker size is dependant on depth and speed of current...i also do this off ocean rocks in deeper spots...rick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Welster said:

I haven’t done it but think paternoster would be the go to.

I am pretty sure that’s the mothod in the articles section for the spit bridge so it’s probably worthwhile to read it.

Ah thanks. That's probably where I saw it.  Will go re-read. 

Thanks all for the comments.

2 hours ago, kiwicraig said:

I tried squidding off a jetty in Woy Woy the other day.  There is significant tidal flow in the area and I simply could not keep in touch with the jig.  I was running braid down to a swivel, flouro leader to the jig.  The area looks like it has the right elements - sea grass beds, clear water, lights at night.  Are there better rigs to use in high current areas? I've heard of people using paternoster rigs - how do you work those? Or am I wasting my time when the tide is running strongly?

I was under the impression paternoster rig was only  used from a boat while drifting. I'd have thought if you cast a paternoster rig from shore with squid jigs attached and then tried to retrieve it you'd get in an almighty tangle.

richard

1 hour ago, campr said:

I often use the posternoster rig but mostly for deeper water rather than fast currents.  I have caught squid in fast water such as the channel at Narooma but unless there are good weed beds that they can seak shelter, I think they much prefer slower current areas.  Ron 

Do  you use the paternoster LB or from a boat? I'm assuming boat coz you mentioned deep water.

richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard,  sorry about late reply.  I fish from a boat and sometimes still use posternoster in shallower water as well on unattended rods left in holder if the drift is too fast, especially when windy.  Ron