Post exam fishing session

Aardvarking

It has been quite a while since I have posted here, but I have been pretty busy with school and haven't had a chance to even going out fishing. I just finished my HSC trial period this morning with a gruelling 3 hour economics exam, and thought I might reward myself with a fish after 2 weeks from hell. Didn't really plan for it,  just headed to Rozelle in the spur of the moment to see what I could catch and forget about exams until I have to do them again ?

Got there around 3:30pm with the intention of catching some flathead. Within about half an hour I hooked my first one, and it was a big one for sure. She started pulling drag like crazy, big head shakes, certainly felt like a heavy fish. Eventually started to tire her out before she had a dash for a rock, tying my line around it. Spent a few minutes trying to get her out of there, but after no longer feeling a fish on the end of my line I knew it was hopeless. Got my lure back in the end, but with no fish. Bummer.

Unfortunately didn't think to take any photos of the scenery, but I can attest to the fact it was picturesque. A beautiful sunset over perfectly calm serene water. If that wasn't enough there was a guy playing acoustic guitar on a bench right near where I was fishing, perfect to set the atmosphere.

Fished another hour or so for flathead with no such luck, before deciding to target bream instead. Took off my 10lb leader, put on some 6lb and tied on a squidgy wriggler. Ended up with another fruitless hour of fishing, and was about to throw in the towel. Even though I hadn't caught anything I was just thinking that it was great to get out to the water again, even if I didn't get any fish it was worth going out just to finally relax after a few weeks of stress. Thought seeing I had made my way back to my original spot I would throw out one more cast before I drove back home.

And so I cast out my little wriggler with my 0.3 PE braid and 6lb leader, when suddenly my spool goes *ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ*. Whatever monster is on the other end of my line is shaking its head constantly, going on run after run. Goes on a 5 minute straight tun before I finally start to get some leverage, but not before nearing the backing on my spool. By this point my hands are shaking and my heart is pounding. I thought for sure a flathead would have shredded my leader by now, so I had no clue what it could be After about another 5 minutes of back and forth, I start to gain control when the fish makes its way around a rock. And not just any rock, exactly the same rock the big flathead got me around earlier that day.

Luckily this time I knew what to do. I end up having to wade waist deep into the freezing cold water to rescue my line from the rock, but after a few minutes surely enough the fish is free. And that's when I see a silver flash, and for a second I think I have finally caught my first jewfish. Unfortunately not, but it was a big silver trevally instead. While it's not a jewfish, I certainly can't complain! Measured it at 43cm, my best trevally to date other than my 52cm PB, but for whatever reason this one fought a lot harder. I am actually very surprised to see trevs in Iron Cove bay, didn't think of it as being somewhere you would find them! 39580644_346469292560429_2981348275753320448_n.thumb.jpg.c64594ea964f970c807bf66e4c64b658.jpg39622260_899951820197946_7412431207146717184_n.thumb.jpg.31121c7c4ce53c9d4c22840f1266fd30.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Good effort on the Blurter (Silver Trevally) maybe the lost fish was an even bigger model?  Used to get a few around the moored boats below King George Park when bait fishing. Good luck with your exams also.

Might have been, but I doubt the first on was a trev. Did the classic flathead move of feeling like a dead weight until suddenly it woke up and went crazy

36 minutes ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Great report!! Wading waist deep into the water shows dedication, were you in your undies, if yes that shows even greater dedication!!

I was! Had to take off my shorts with one hand while fighting the fish, and then put then put them back on doing the same thing. Can say it was 100% worth it

• Haha 2