Terracotta pot fish smoker

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Luke,

Have not tried a flower pot smoker but have smoked fish in my kamado dragon and also in my weber smokey joe.

The weber smokey joe's often come up on the gtree or the bay for reasonable prices and in my opinion would be more convenient than mucking around with a pot.

The other bonus is that you can use it as a charcoal grill when not smoking.

Cheers

Choicebro

Guest Guest123456789
20 hours ago, Choicebro said:

Hi Luke,

Have not tried a flower pot smoker but have smoked fish in my kamado dragon and also in my weber smokey joe.

The weber smokey joe's often come up on the gtree or the bay for reasonable prices and in my opinion would be more convenient than mucking around with a pot.

The other bonus is that you can use it as a charcoal grill when not smoking.

Cheers

Choicebro

Hi CB,

I owned the big brother to Smokey Joe (Weber charcoal kettle) for 10 years. When it died I replaced with with a Weber Q gas grill which we use several times a week and love. So I know very well what the weber’s are capable of.

My brother in law has the kamado smoker. Not my cup of tea.

Price is not the main consideration- functionality is. I’m yet to see a good electric powered smoker/oven hence my googling came up with the terracotta pot smoker/oven. I like electric for convenience and more precise temperature control. I’d rather not use gas as I think you get a perceptible gas flavour when slow roasting and I worry about turning a gas oven into an unintentional improvised exploding device.

If there’s something similar you know of and have used do let me know. Thanks mate.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

Hey Luke,

Bradley do some nice electric cabinet smokers that are available from BBQG. 

Another option is to get a smoking maze or smoke generator that you can cold smoke in your weber gas grill without using the gas and just using the weber as a containment chamber if you know what I mean.

I have also seen some posts on the bbq forums I frequent of a stainless sieve with the bottom flattened out and filled with pellets or sawdust to generate smoke too. If you google sieve smoker, the instructables site explains it in more detail.

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers

Choicebro

Guest Guest123456789
37 minutes ago, Choicebro said:

Hey Luke,

Bradley do some nice electric cabinet smokers that are available from BBQG. 

Another option is to get a smoking maze or smoke generator that you can cold smoke in your weber gas grill without using the gas and just using the weber as a containment chamber if you know what I mean.

I have also seen some posts on the bbq forums I frequent of a stainless sieve with the bottom flattened out and filled with pellets or sawdust to generate smoke too. If you google sieve smoker, the instructables site explains it in more detail.

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers

Choicebro

Thanks CB. Didn’t know Bradley made a cabinet smoker - I’ll check it out.

11 minutes ago, antonywardle said:

Hi Luke. The flower pot looks cool. Have a go.

I bought a stainless steel metho smoker from one of the local shops here for around $30

Happy to lend it to you if you want to have a go

cheers

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the tip. I’ve eaten smoked fish from a metho smoker - delicious! We’ve also had a bad experience at my friends new house which he almost burnt down. The tea towel on his shoulder caught fire (I think it had metho on it). It the set his new timber balcony alight and the neighbours lawn. Screaming wives (maybe a husband too) and kids ran out the front. My favourite shirt got wrecked being used as a fire blanket. No one got hurt except maybe my friends pride.