Loose Dividers

Green Hornet

I've got a small Plano 3540 tackle box which is great for holding split shot, sinkers etc for my luderick fishing. The annoying problem I have is the adjustable dividers in the box are quite loose and if not careful, they lift up when getting something out, causing tackle to run from 1 compartment into another.

I was thinking of locking them in place with a small blob of silicone, or does someone have a better idea?

A tip too. If you have problems with hooks etc slipping from one compartment to another when your tackle box is closed and in your backpack, a thin piece of bubble wrap cut to fit neatly inside the lid will fix that.

Edited by Green Hornet

I use superglue too, but more than a dot, i put it on all three edges of the divider. It's not always strong enough for when larger snapper jig heads fight with each other or get excited driving to the spot but for your lighter objects like split shots should be good. The bubble wrap is a good idea, i use bits of foam in some of mine for that purpose. And also to stop pretty little poppers and hardbodies fighting with each other or getting a rash from the tray.

• Like 1

I reckon I'll give superglue a try as its probably the easier way to go.

If that fails I know I've got a hot melt glue gun somewhere in the shed.

Kingie chaser, you'd be surprised how well silicone works as a glue. As a builder with over 30 years experience its got me out of trouble where epoxy has failed many times, you just need ensure you have a small gap between the 2 surfaces for the silicone to do its job, plus it takes a while to cure. Bonus is its flexible and will hold where stiffer glues often fail.

Thanks again guys.

45 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

I reckon I'll give superglue a try as its probably the easier way to go.

If that fails I know I've got a hot melt glue gun somewhere in the shed.

Kingie chaser, you'd be surprised how well silicone works as a glue. As a builder with over 30 years experience its got me out of trouble where epoxy has failed many times, you just need ensure you have a small gap between the 2 surfaces for the silicone to do its job, plus it takes a while to cure. Bonus is its flexible and will hold where stiffer glues often fail.

Thanks again guys.

If you're clever enough to keep the silicon join small enough, clean and tidy i reckon that will be the go. I'm not so i use superglue but i do think the superglue is to brittle for the vibration and bashing it cops. Silicon might be a bit more prone to catching and holding salt/dirt/grit than super glue. None of those guys are friends of the tackle tray.

On a side note what i have started doing now i have more jig heads and lures loose in trays is putting the Jinkai sacrificial anode stickers on the inside of the tray lid to hope it helps prolong the life of the jig heads. I have found some hooks like the berkley elevator hooks die quickly (I think there are too many different types of metal next to each other with the hook, split ring and jig head and maybe the hook steel isn't so crash hot). I think the nitro HD saltwater jig heads and also the TT range last well if looked after. Chemically sharpened hooks i keep in packets if brand new and keep in a seperate old packet if they have been used, rinsed and dried. I carry fresh water in a bottle to rinse before packing away or at least lick the hook clean of salt and wipe it on my shirt before packing away.

On 8/29/2018 at 4:11 PM, Captain Spanner said:

On a side note what i have started doing now i have more jig heads and lures loose in trays is putting the Jinkai sacrificial anode stickers on the inside of the tray lid to hope it helps prolong the life of the jig heads. 

What are the stickers you talk about Captain?

On 9/2/2018 at 8:33 AM, mii11x said:

What are the stickers you talk about Captain?

I can't find the Jinkai stuff anywhere online, just have a look in the shop in the game fishing section next time you go. If you type "Bonze Zap Seal" into google you will find the Bonze Zap Seal Zinc Anode Tape which is exactly the same i assume. It is normally used on game lure hooks. You put a strip on the hook.

For anyone interested the silicone worked well, but as I was waiting for it to fully cure I came across a better idea.

Keeping in mind that most items in a blackfish tackle box are quite small, a five dollar pill box from the chemist is perfect. The thing I really like about them is every compartment has its own separate lid, making it easy to access particular items without having to expose all the contents to salty, wet fingers.

You can get them with anything from 7 to 28 compartments. I got a 14 which is ample and small enough to fit in your pocket.

I trust its OK with the moderators to include the pic.

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

For anyone interested the silicone worked well, but as I was waiting for it to fully cure I came across a better idea.

Keeping in mind that most items in a blackfish tackle box are quite small, a five dollar pill box from the chemist is perfect. The thing I really like about them is every compartment has its own separate lid, making it easy to access particular items without having to expose all the contents to salty, wet fingers.

You can get them with anything from 7 to 28 compartments. I got a 14 which is ample and small enough to fit in your pocket.

s-l500.jpg

Great idea! And looking at that, you get to fish twice a day, seven days a week! ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

s-l500.jpg

Great idea this is