Squid at the Spit

iamthecowgodmoo

With the lack of wind on Saturday night, I thought I would try my luck for an hour or so down the spit. The water wasn't very clear, but it wasn't too bad. Usually there would be more people around, indicating more action, but I was by myself for around 20min, only bagging one squid, until another regular showed up with a light to help attract more.

For the next hour, we pulled in three each, and dropped a heap. So, not a bad result considering there hasn't been anything to brag about for the past few weeks.

We were using a variety of coloured jigs, and they seem to be hitting them all..... they weren't too fussed.

The mrs cooked them up by adding ginger, shallots, dried chilli, cumin seeds to hot oil in the wok till fragrant. Then added the squid - cooked for a minute, then soy source, salt and coriander.

40064527_210939946447314_4279451524779737088_n.jpg

40064529_528346807626478_7303321376922796032_n.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2018 at 9:26 PM, undy said:

Well done iamthecowgodmoo! Never had luck at the spit.. I hear you have to keep it quite deep there. How was the current and did you need any specific rig to keep the jigs deep?

Hey Undy, Nothing too fancy. Just a 2.5 size jig on the end of some decent leader (12 pound flouro I think). There was very little current flow, I forgot to check but I think it was around the change of tide.

6 hours ago, Marmot said:

Spit is a bit too far. Most of the time I try squidding at port hacking, however, seems it has something to do with the tide (especially lilli pilli)

I consider myself very much a novice at squid fishing, but I've found that the tide has played a big part. If it's the last of the run out, then there's usually no action.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marmot said:

I bought some squid lures from China and tried last week, and hooked a big one, but it got away and left me a tentacle--the tiny tentacle could not hold its weight.

Bringing back just a tentical means too much pressure. When I hook a squid I immediately unwind the drag to almost nothing. If I feel the squid lunge or pull I lean and put the rod into its direction to almost eliminate any extra pressure. Go with it. Don’t try to “fight” it. When winding in it’s always very gentle. The main theme is gentle, and dont rush. 

Edited by Hateanchors
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2018 at 3:09 PM, Marmot said:

Spit is a bit too far. Most of the time I try squidding at port hacking, however, seems it has something to do with the tide (especially lilli pilli)

It’s probably best if you to start a new thread in fishing chat.   Are you squidding landbased?