Battery for Elect motor

NBFisho

34 minutes ago, Hateanchors said:

Hi Mark. Depends how much you want to use it, how long you want it to last and if weight is a factor. I take it, it’s going in a kayak?

Indeed it is. And it will get me from North harbour, to north head, to Middle head and back to north harbour marina . Just need to work out motor size and battery size.

Edited by NBFisho

I only have

5 hours ago, NBFisho said:

Indeed it is. And it will get me from North harbour, to north head, to Middle head and back to north harbour marina . Just need to work out motor size and battery size.

I have a 54lb and 100Ah battery on a 4.8 tinny so can only go by what I have seen from this. If you want to travel that far with a kayak on the motor alone, I would recommend 54lb and probably 200Ah battery plus. Then again, it may be a little unrealistic to travel that far entirely on a small electric motor unless you have multiple or a huge battery. Maybe someone has more experience with kayaks.

A 24lb motor is more than enough to go on a kayak and here's my take on how to roughly work out what size battery you need.

First, look up the motor's specs and see how many amps it draws at full power/speed. Then figure how many hours you're going to be running it each trip. Multiply the amps by the hours and that should give you an idea how many amp hours you're going to draw from a battery. If you run at a slower speed you'll draw less amps  but best figure it out at  maximum.

Now given most deep cycle batteries don't like to be drained more than half their power, double the amp hours you reckon you're going to use per trip and that should give you a figure of the minimum size battery you need.

That's assuming your battery is kept in top condition and is 100% charged. Make sure you use a good, multi stage charger like a C-tek or similar.

If you feel an AGM or similar battery is too heavy for the kayak, take a look at a lithium alternative. They are expensive though.

That's a fair distance by electric power, I do ten k plus trips myself and don't want to discourage you just be aware I've had to paddle back on occasion.

.At low speed these motors draw 9 amps and at full power 20 amps however you won't get double the speed at full power  and use unnecessary battery unless your prop is the right size which is unlikely. I usually lock the motor straight ahead on half speed and leisurely paddle. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there thanks to above members I dont have to elaborate in detail of information.

I used to have 40pound motor and 100ah battery and combination hobie mirage drive, 15km range  with varying speeds. Going home was tough with this dead weight motor15kg and battery 16kg drained. So I upgraded with Bixpy jet weight about 1.2kg motor and 404 watt lithium battery. Total weight about 7kg with motor adapter and battery.

Range and speed depends on your kayak hull design.

I have 3 lithium  batteries which is enough to cover a full day. Expensive but vary quite and light. Recently I have sent these motors to Bixpy USA for warranty repairs. 

Mean while I have been looking into 2 stroke petrol engine jet1212884832_jetengine(1).thumb.jpg.71f236d9be32b59e05f2d329bb1b45d7.jpg1601711186_pic(1).thumb.jpg.b7920f597065e0f725fd059609db0c8e.jpg 

These motors are used in Brazil kayak fishers and there are not cheap (A$700 with freight) to import from Brazil but I found the manufacturer supplier can supply me with a sample cost A$200 approx plus freight and tax.

Going to install into mounting of mirage drive location. No more expensive battery to replace and charge.

Just carry enough fuel no worries except the noise and fume.

Anyone interested in these motor private message me. Still waiting for payment details from China supplier.

• 3 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:03 PM, podtrailler said:

Hi there thanks to above members I dont have to elaborate in detail of information.

I used to have 40pound motor and 100ah battery and combination hobie mirage drive, 15km range  with varying speeds. Going home was tough with this dead weight motor15kg and battery 16kg drained. So I upgraded with Bixpy jet weight about 1.2kg motor and 404 watt lithium battery. Total weight about 7kg with motor adapter and battery.

Range and speed depends on your kayak hull design.

I have 3 lithium  batteries which is enough to cover a full day. Expensive but vary quite and light. Recently I have sent these motors to Bixpy USA for warranty repairs. 

Mean while I have been looking into 2 stroke petrol engine jet1212884832_jetengine(1).thumb.jpg.71f236d9be32b59e05f2d329bb1b45d7.jpg1601711186_pic(1).thumb.jpg.b7920f597065e0f725fd059609db0c8e.jpg 

These motors are used in Brazil kayak fishers and there are not cheap (A$700 with freight) to import from Brazil but I found the manufacturer supplier can supply me with a sample cost A$200 approx plus freight and tax.

Going to install into mounting of mirage drive location. No more expensive battery to replace and charge.

Just carry enough fuel no worries except the noise and fume.

Anyone interested in these motor private message me. Still waiting for payment details from China supplier.

I actually just bought a  stroke one similar to this on Wednesday. Not a jet though

Its all set up and ready to rock, but bad timing as I'm away this weekend so I cant test it out just yet.

8kg or just under 9kg with a full tank off fuel. Runs on 95 unleaded.

Ill keep you posted.

Edited by NBFisho