Garmin fishfinder running off a small battery

elite

Hi All,

Just wondering if running my fishfinder from a small 12v 9AH battery would impact the quality of the sounder?

e.g would the sonar work as good if it was running off my boat battery?

I have one of these:

https://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/striker-plus-7cv/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Kuhteag3QIVVgoqCh2kIQ8UEAQYBSABEgLC7vD_BwE

Still trying to figure out if it's actually sounding fish..

Cheers

As long as the battery is healthy, no dead cells (12v etc) it will work fine. It should give you a voltage reading on the screen.

It should work out of the box with default settings to see fish on the sounder. Maybe do a factory reset to get it back to the default.

what are you seeing?

I use a similar size battery in my potable Humminbird but its only a small gray screen type.

I think the only think is how long it will last with whatever the draw is of that sounder??

The battery should run any 12v device but as mentioned if the device has a lot of draw it may only go for a short period.

15 hours ago, elite said:

Hi All,

Just wondering if running my fishfinder from a small 12v 9AH battery would impact the quality of the sounder?

e.g would the sonar work as good if it was running off my boat battery?

I have one of these:

https://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/striker-plus-7cv/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Kuhteag3QIVVgoqCh2kIQ8UEAQYBSABEgLC7vD_BwE

Still trying to figure out if it's actually sounding fish..

Cheers

Hi mate. I run my Eagle fishfinder from a 12v 7 A/hr "Emergency light" battery with no problems. It lasts for ages and shows all the usual things...depth, water temp, structure and fish. I have a separate battery for the electric motor. bn

Ok great.  I'm pretty sure my transducer is set up correctly.  The screen is showing as per the video examples and set up instructions.

I think my issue is that I am expecting to see "arches" when i'm trolling or drifting.  Probably watched too many fishing shows showing these arches LOL..

But all I see is the screen gets clouded up red when fish are around.  I know this from catching fish around a minute after i see the clouded red.

It's set up at 70hz.

Another thing, is when i'm on a hot bite, i look at the sounder, and nothing shows.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, elite said:

Ok great.  I'm pretty sure my transducer is set up correctly.  The screen is showing as per the video examples and set up instructions.

I think my issue is that I am expecting to see "arches" when i'm trolling or drifting.  Probably watched too many fishing shows showing these arches LOL..

But all I see is the screen gets clouded up red when fish are around.  I know this from catching fish around a minute after i see the clouded red.

It's set up at 70hz.

Another thing, is when i'm on a hot bite, i look at the sounder, and nothing shows.  

Don't forget that your sounder is often showing a very specific "slice" of water and you may not be fishing in the same slice. As long as you're catching fish, it doesn't matter what the sounder presents...only when you're not. bn

12 hours ago, raging said:

My sounder is the smaller & older version to ops.

Some king fishies. The red at the top was turbulence in the water. 

bWqJvrZ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

A school of yakkas

Ya4CgqL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

In clearvue mode, harder to see fish, easier to see structure

gvkpprL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Ok thanks - i'll have a play around with the chirp option. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 8:41 PM, raging said:

My sounder is the smaller & older version to ops.

Some king fishies. The red at the top was turbulence in the water. 

bWqJvrZ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

A school of yakkas

Ya4CgqL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

In clearvue mode, harder to see fish, easier to see structure

gvkpprL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Damn your sounder is so much better than mine!!  I need to upgrade bad!