Bate Bay flatties

Yowie

Headed out this arvo around 2pm. Have been waiting to have a fish, but still a lot to do after returning from a big drive to the other side of the country. The wind was forecast to drop early afternoon, but did not. Sloppy wind chop, not good for a small boat, so I fished the entrance to Port Hacking. Needed the sea anchor out to slow the drift. Pulled out 3 legal blue spots, but a bit of drifting between bites, and a few throw backs. Also hooked a Barracouta that grabbed a bait on the retrieve. The bites then just stopped.

I moved out a bit at a time from Jibbon Point, but no bites further out, and the chop was still there. so I moved back to where I had the first bites, and pulled out 2 more blue spots. The sinker was bitten off, the baits not touched but line badly frayed, so added a new sinker, then sinker, hooks and swivel bitten off. Guessing the Barracouta were about so headed home just before sundown.

Not big flatties, but fresh fillets just the same.fish.jpeg_157.thumb.png.ec288a027132eb79056c56f7ef31a96f.png

• Like 5

9 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

I bet it felt good to be back out on the home turf heyyy !! 

Great result as always

Happy to be home, though no complaints if I had to stay away longer. Plenty of country to see.

9 hours ago, frankS said:

Couta means cold water and time to find another spot, good going to pick up those nice flathead.

Frank

Cold water couta, PITA when it comes to tackle bite offs. The ocean flatties should be coming on the bite now.

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Agh, good to see you back at it yowie! And to see a few fish on that famous brag mat! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie. Forgot to take the brag mat with me when travelling, so I had to use a couple of knives to measure the fish, except for the jewie.  Needed a ruler to male sure I was past the metre mark (only made it by 1cm).

At the last fishing place I stayed, the owner handed out some brag mats, but it was too late by then.

• Like 1