Trolling motor question

Demetrios

Hi folks, I was selecting a trolling motor for my boat, and I was wondering, which motors you find more reliable from your experience, Minnkota or Motorguide?

I know that both are pretty much okay and people use both, and post reviews on both, but I need to select only 1, that's why asked.

Thanks.

Edited by Demetrios

By trolling motor I assume you mean a stern mounted unit?   Both are excellent brands but I  have only had Watersnakes which have served me well for such a cheap unit.

If you want advice on forward mounted motors you need to give more information to enable sound advice.  What will you be using it for?  Do you need gps driven anchor lock? What is your preferred control foot or remote? What size boat etc.  Ron 

When I bought my boat new in 2009, I also had a w55 saltwater motorguide mounted to the bow - wireless foot pedal 55lb and 12v.  Excellent unit, never failed me once.  I reckon it has had more than 500 hours of use.  Its been serviced once in its entire life.  As soon as I outboard my way to my fishing spots, its usually been in the water and running non stop.

I had no hesitation in buying a new motorguide at the recent Sydney international boat show - I fitted it up a brand new xi5 pinpoint gps sw55 12v model yesterday, will be taking the boat out next weekend to play with it, especially the spot lock and gps features.  It will take some getting used to no wireless foot pedal until I purchase another Im thinking though.

My father bought a small cheap watersnake for his tinny a few years ago - stern mount hand steer and never has a problem with that brand either.

I really like the auto deploy on the minn kota ulterra, pricey though and I cant connect it to my lowrance, hence staying with motorguide brand.  Ive never used a minn kota or know anyone personally that has one, so cant speak much about them.

Remember to factor in the cost of a decent deep cycle battery 100ah minimum and a good charger as well.  My 120ah, from a full charge gives me 3-4 days of electric motor use, maybe 15 hours total use before I have to recharge.

Your going to get good and bad reviews about both major brands, so it is a hard decision really.  If you want to connect hummingbird to it, get the minn kota, lowrance get the motorguide......both brands offer spot lock.  

Hope this helps

Mick

Hey folks, I appreciate your comments. Being honest, I considered the 2 brands that I've mentioned, and yes, it's so hard to make a decision just based on the online reviews, as there are fans of both, and there are both positive and negative comments on both. The prices, warranty and stuff are approximately the same, for the same class, so this is not the choise of better value, etc. As long as I have got Lowrance, I believe I will pick a Motorguide trolling motor then.... Now, after I've read Mick's feedback on his Motorguide, I believe I will be satisfied with it...