LOCKOUT PLANS SCRAPPED

mrsswordfisherman

Good job. It was interesting to see how the Government reacted to the pressure of Fishermen telling the real story rather than the Greenie idiots who lie... Interesting people those Greens, they would rather see people die and property destroyed by wild fires than have the local bush back burnt to prevent them. 

• Haha 1

The best thing about this whole thing is how the fishing community have banded together as one to overturn this stupid proposal.Congratulations to everyone that has contributed in some way towards achieving this result.

Hopefully it will be a long time before the pollies try this sort of stunt again.

• Like 2

First of all I would like to thank the minister nyall Blair ,who has had emence pressure put on him over these proposals and I knew he loves fishing with his son and he had to cop a lot of sh  t from the fishos  even know he was in it with us but his own party was not .its great to see a poli with conviction ,very sensible decison ....mark my words after the election in 6 months they will be back (greens)big time please if you can attend the rally next week on thurs 27th  at hyde park north 1230pm .lets show them we dont forget regards dunc333

Edited by dunc333
  • Like 1

A couple of  points:it would be a mistake to lump all "greenies" in as supporters of this stuff,many green oriented people posted over the last few weeks on the Support the Lockout fb page their disgust at the way the matter was handled and were against the lockouts;incidentally, there are plenty of people among them who are well aware of how the traditional owners and subsequently rural fire services managed the bush by appropriate use of burns until they were limited.The enemy is the small but active ideologically based core which try to affect public and consequently political opinion using emotive argument devoid fundamentally of valid scientific basis.We are in our own way conservationists with a more vested interest in the marine environment than the opposition and should be glad of  any support we can get. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that nothing is cast in concrete yet,the Shooters and Fishers are about to table a bill for a 10 year moratorium on new parks which will be a step in the right direction,but those existing at present also need to have the lockouts lifted,and a new process for evaluating all marine parks based on sound scientific evidence needs to be established.This could be the Libs big chance to do this right and create a decent legacy,but I'm not holding my breath just yet.It is vital that as a group we keep the pressure on now;you can bet the green opposition is already working on their next strategy and it's not unheard of for politicians of all ilks to go back on their promises.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, davebrewer said:

A couple of  points:it would be a mistake to lump all "greenies" in as supporters of this stuff,many green oriented people posted over the last few weeks on the Support the Lockout fb page their disgust at the way the matter was handled and were against the lockouts;incidentally, there are plenty of people among them who are well aware of how the traditional owners and subsequently rural fire services managed the bush by appropriate use of burns until they were limited.The enemy is the small but active ideologically based core which try to affect public and consequently political opinion using emotive argument devoid fundamentally of valid scientific basis.We are in our own way conservationists with a more vested interest in the marine environment than the opposition and should be glad of  any support we can get. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that nothing is cast in concrete yet,the Shooters and Fishers are about to table a bill for a 10 year moratorium on new parks which will be a step in the right direction,but those existing at present also need to have the lockouts lifted,and a new process for evaluating all marine parks based on sound scientific evidence needs to be established.This could be the Libs big chance to do this right and create a decent legacy,but I'm not holding my breath just yet.It is vital that as a group we keep the pressure on now;you can bet the green opposition is already working on their next strategy and it's not unheard of for politicians of all ilks to go back on their promises.

Absolutely right Davebrewer! I am also of the opinion that there will be plenty more to come from those "For" the proposal, no doubt they had contingency plans already drawn up. There are worrying signs still there. The statement "Today's decision does not change the fact we are still working towards a marine park that protects key marine habitats, species and the environment"- the words of the minister- should still be heeded. These are still dangerous times for users of the resource. 

As I posted elsewhere, I’m not against marine parks per say, but believe that lockouts are not the answer. 

Ive seen proposed compromises such as: 
* Banning taking certain species during their spawning times of year
* Stricter size and bag limits including maximum size limits (big fish produce more offspring)
* Increase fishing license fees to fund better enforcement of laws by fisheries
* Banning anchoring in sea grass beds and reefs and other sensitive habitats 
And others that i believe would be far better placed at keeping anglers onside and  have the resources better managed through reasonable regulation. 

I hope that cooler heads prevail and a comfortable medium ground is settled on otherwise as mentioned this issue isn’t going to go away.

Edited by Smasher
  • Like 1

Well, I just spent an hour or two at the computer completing the survey again, commenting on all 25 sites, this time on behalf of my son. No mean feat, when I have been bedridden for 4 days with a virus!

One thing I found useful this time was reading the community feedback provided in the info on each site. In many cases, the RFA and other groups had provided feedback against selecting a site, yet they went ahead and chose the site anyway. I copied and pasted that feedback and threw it back at them! ?

Anyway, back to bed now... I wouldn’t wish this virus or flu or whatever it is on my worst enemy, even Justin Field (he who has blocked me)!

• Like 1

what party is justin from berleyguts  .dont tell me lol the no science make it up as you go along party .green.right. please dont get me wrong i am all for conservation .if there is science to back it up ,but when these so called scientists talk they get my back up .fishing was 17th on the hazards list .water pollution (enviromental run off was # 1 on the hazards list .so if you had any brains you would spend the money on rubbish traps ,better drain grates etc etc  and listen to there own findings but noo .they said lets just ban line fishing in these areas .which funny enough where areas the dpi asked where we liked to fish the most and then they use this info to try and lock us out of those exact areas fu---ing unbelievable.