Advice for land base spots

Billy91

Hey Raiders, I was wondering if someone would help me to find a land base spot that I can head to this coming Sunday. Iam based in Parramatta and happy to drive up to 1.5 hours.

I just start fishing couple months ago with a cheap gear then I bought shimano sienna 2500 with ugly and thats where I enjoyed my time with my first bream at Kirribilli 45cm (to be honest it wasnt my target) but I was happy with it.

Ive been reading alot on this platform and am thinking about lures as pilchards killed my life with the smell.

So any advice  I would really appreciate it.

Cheers

Edited by Billy91

G'day Billy. HEAPS of places to check out. Your gear sounds great for starting out. Light line is best for flicking a few plastics and match the jig head to the size of plastic and the depth and current. Best to start off with easier more abundant species such as bream or Flathead. Jetties, weedbeds,  sandflats with nearby channels, oyster covered rocks ate all good places to look for. I used to love flicking plastics along the edge of the weedbeds in the hawkesbury and the entrance for Flathead in summer. Can be very productive. In Sydney though I don't flick plastics anymore except for Flathead. I love the blackfish fishing too much! Anywhere there  is sand and weedbed there will be flatties. Now that the water temp will be on the rise you should have more frequent action re flathead.

A good spot is lane cove river. Flick along the sand and mud near a channel or flat on a run out tide. Stacks of bream around the bridges and oyster covered shoreline. You also have any of the little beaches around middle harbour. Around clontarf is good (north eastern side of the spit bridge) there's a lot of weedbeds and sandy shoreline stretching for a distance there.

Key is to keep mobile and focus your efforts where the fish will be (I.e where they will be feeding). Back when I had my boat we were flicking a few small jerk minnows around for bream under the boat moorings around balgowlah. No bream but turned out to be a few rat kings there. You never know what will turn up so it pays to have a selection of plastic styles and colours too.

Plenty of raiders will be able to give u advice. Good luck.

P. S. Enjoy the arm workout from casting all day haha 

Edit: I'll add this too as I found this to be the most productive way to haul in flatties (for me anyway). Jump on a boat with someone or nab yourself a kayak from gumtree and troll some deep diving hard bodies along the edge of the channels. Used to get at least half a dozen nice flatties by trolling homemade lures that my neighbour taught me how to make.

Edited by Kracka
Added info
  • Like 1

Plenty of places around Sydney that should be living up with plenty of action that are land based, im based in the west too not far from parra, i regularly fish at night and the odd weekend i'm down here in syd instead of up the coast on lake mac. 

Here are a couple of places to fish around Sydney landbased (salt water) :

Pier 2, Lavender Bay, Banjo Paterson Reserve, Spit Bridge, Clifton Gardens, Balmoral Beach.

Plenty of places within 15 or so minutes of each other, just check the swell,tide and wind, Went to Clifton Gardens last weekend with a mate and could hardly get out due to to the wind was blowing like a cyclone, went around to balmoral beach, no wind and plenty of action.

If you want to drive further up the coast and start chasing some aussie salmon, try up around lake macquarie/redhead/catho, have seen and heard a couple of reports on the salmon is coming already.

Or Alternatively if you want to drive up as far as Lake Macquarie, i have put a location guide up here for all of land based spots in Lake Macquarie>>>

Lake Mac Land Based

Regards,

Squ!r+

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Squ!rt said:

Plenty of places around Sydney that should be living up with plenty of action that are land based, im based in the west too not far from parra, i regularly fish at night and the odd weekend i'm down here in syd instead of up the coast on lake mac. 

Here are a couple of places to fish around Sydney landbased (salt water) :

Pier 2, Lavender Bay, Banjo Paterson Reserve, Spit Bridge, Clifton Gardens, Balmoral Beach.

Plenty of places within 15 or so minutes of each other, just check the swell,tide and wind, Went to Clifton Gardens last weekend with a mate and could hardly get out due to to the wind was blowing like a cyclone, went around to balmoral beach, no wind and plenty of action.

If you want to drive further up the coast and start chasing some aussie salmon, try up around lake macquarie/redhead/catho, have seen and heard a couple of reports on the salmon is coming already.

Or Alternatively if you want to drive up as far as Lake Macquarie, i have put a location guide up here for all of land based spots in Lake Macquarie>>>

Lake Mac Land Based

Regards,

Squ!r+

Hey, not to take away from billy 91s question but how would you recommend fishing Balmoral. Bait or lures, where to cast, etc.

12 hours ago, pugzthugz said:

Hey, not to take away from billy 91s question but how would you recommend fishing Balmoral. Bait or lures, where to cast, etc.

All Good mate, on the "horseshoe" on the left there is a platform that water taxis come and go and you can fish from there, you cant fish from the 'horshoe',

pic for reference>> we were using prawn and chicken thigh with parmeson, got a couple of tailor and other various yakka etc.

Cast out straight towards all the moored boats, to the left its very seaweedy, i'd recommend the setup of sinker at the bottom and about a foot or so above the sinker run your hook. snell setup..

balmoral.jpg

Location is marked near "Sydney Luxury Charters"

Regards,

Squ!r+

Edited by Squ!rt
  • Thanks 1