REPOWER or New Boat ???

Sea Ranger

Some of you here followed my threads over the last 2 years looking for a new (to me) boat.  I shopped hi and low and had several boats looked at by mechanics, most of which failed horribly in some way or another.  I did finally decide on  a 1995 Haines Hunter 520SF .  It had some minor issues of which I took care of immediately.  I went out with her 12 or so times in the last year.  Back in May I took her in for service and my mechanic told me she had low compression (60psi) in one cylinder.  Devastation Despair I either did my motor in or bought her that way.  Big Expensive lesson learned.  So here I sit.  I have shopped around at can get either a 4st 115hp Yamaha or 2st DI 115hp Tohatsu for about the same coin installed.   I've had 3 boat mechanic's look at my transom and floor and think she is worth a repower.  Still as far as I know the floor is original and so is the transom makes me wonder how long till a refloor is due.  The boat handled great and even on three cylinders got us around no drama.  I'm a fisherman and function outdoes looks any day however I'm tempted at this point with a 23 year old boat and trailer needing a new motor that maybe my money might be better spent on something new.

Target species

Flathead , Bream, Kingfish, Snapper   Sydney area

How many of you have repowered  an old boat and liked it or wished you had bought something new?

Bear 

I'm in a similar position, except that I am happy with my engine. I suspect that my old 80's FG will need work and have been looking around to see what out there. From what I've seen, there are a lot of cheap boats that probably aren't going to be much better than what I've got, and the newer stuff is getting out of my price range. In an ideal world, I'd find a really good hull for not much and then spend my time moving stuff from one boat to the other. I'd be interested to hear what route you go down. 

In two minds still myself.

If the boat suits your needs and its just that the cylinder is a little low on compression, you could run it until it stopped especially if I had a Aux motor.

3 mech has said the transom is in good condition, and since you have the Green light I would repower it including the fuel lines and keep enjoying it.

Unless you buy a new boat you could just be buying a similar issue in 2yrs

Some Questions

Value of boat as it currently sits: How are the electrics and sounder, Seats and overall condition.

Cost of Repower $

Cost of new boat $

What Jeff has said makes a lot of sense, bur as you have a green light to buy there is no harm in looking around. There are some very nice boats for sale that are a lot less than 23 years old and in very good condition. You can pick up something that needs no work at all and with well maintained recent build engines.

But then you'll have the problem of what do I do with the old boat!

Cheers

Rob

As you mention it is an old boat but also a good one. There are a few rebuild and repowered Haines on the market that seem to be up around new boat prices. 

If you aren't a rev head have you considered a smaller motor ( with a smaller pitch prop ). I had a Haines 540 that performed very well with just a Honda 90 (the same setup that Hans Tholstrup used for his 7500k trip to Japan from here).

You could opt for a 100 Yam 4 stroke fitted for $13000 if you don't mind towing it to https://www.brisbaneyamaha.com.au/. This should still cruise at around 40kmh and give a top speed around 60kmh depending on prop and boat load.

Even when those boats have rot they still remain popular for rebuilds. 

Edited by JonD

Bear,

I have repowered an old boat and I am very happy with that decision, and would do it again. By that I mean repower that  same boat again - even though it is older now!

You say your boating is mainly fishing and you used it 12 times last year.  I think your usage frequency and pattern are the main factors in your decision after budget. However, if budget is not an issue then buy the biggest shiniest toy you can find. Personally I like my coin working for me rather than sitting on the driveway.  I have other hobbies and interests to feed as well - skiing, travel, guitars etc.

I also have the same usage pattern as you and I am handy with tools and don't mind "doing things up". So when I wanted to upgrade from our 4.5m runabout I went looking for a second hand solid offshore hull in the 6+m range with the full intention that at some stage I would repower.  I just accepted that's a fact of life with buying 2nd hand.

I bought a 1992 Haines 635L  back in 1996. Like yours it was an absolutely solid hull/transom etc but it came with a 225 Yamaha of unknown hours and the trailer was so so.  Purchased for $21,500.  

Rather then replacing the Yam upfront, I installed a 15HP 4ST Aux alongside $3000 and ran with the Yam for three more years. Used the Aux for trolling and safety. Then sold the Yam for $4000 and bought a new 200EFI Merc as a boat show special - still kept the Aux. My change over was $8000 from memory.  2001 I sold the old trailer for $1999 and  replaced it with a new custom built trailer $5500. Change over $3500.   To minimse changeover cost, I  make sore that everything I sell is working and in good nick so that it still has value!

Its now 19yrs later, all the mates that have been on my boat love it, the room, how it handles etc.  We fish overnight go out wide and we come back safe. My transom and floors are still solid. It's been a smooth trouble free offshore boating package even today --- and  given how long I have had use, it has been inexpensive   --- I never had to go for that second mortgage scenario. 

I paced the boat show recently with a few of my boating mates and to replace my rig with new I'd be in the $90-130,000 range.    Neither I or my mates could see what we would be getting extra for spending that kind of money - to your point, function over looks meets my requirement.   Also, the moment I drove out of the yard the new boat would depreciate significantly. 

My experience is that if you have a known brand and look after/keep your "old" rig in good condition, you will find that they depreciate to a point and then hold value. My rig today is still valued at around $40,000.   

Regarding trailers, I probably have about 3-4yrs before I would need to consider repairing/replacing the trailer.  But I have already started to keep an eye on some Aluminium trailers (geez they have come down in price - about $6-8000 for a dual axle job that could handle my rig.)  Hmmm I certainly wont be waiting for my trailer to fall apart before I sell it - if  bargain pops up, I'll grab it, move the boat over and then sell my existing trailer to minimize the changeover.

So yeah, given my decision criteria (I live within a budget, I am happy with my current boat layout, it does  everything I want from my boating experience, and its a solid well maintained hull),  I'm a big fan of repowering and if my Merc started to hiccup I'd just repower in a heartbeat. 

Cheers

Zoran

PS - I have made quite a few mods along the way, fine tuning my rig to make it more comfortable and useable... I have attached an old post that mentions some of that. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Repowered my vsea from 60 to 90hp and love it  cheaper to repower than go buy whole package and end up with same as u have now methinks

Thanks Rick,,   I remember your boat.  I searched high and low for a decent Vsea and could not find one at the time.  BTW who did you get to do your motor?  PM if you don't want to post.  If i remember right you went with Suzuki yeah?

Bear

12 hours ago, jimg1au said:

if the engine is good except for the piston just put a new powerhead on save coin and if all the other cyl have the same comp you could just put an oversize piston in and go again.

I've been reading up as much as possible and it seems for a motor so old (95 lol as if that's old) that has lived in salt at all it is better to replace than rebuild.   That said I have had 2 quotes to rebuild.  A.$3500 my local mechanic  B.$2500 mobile mechanic.   3 month warranty sort of scares me off that idea..  Heaps cheaper than new 

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Bear,

I have repowered an old boat and I am very happy with that decision, and would do it again. By that I mean repower that  same boat again - even though it is older now!

So yeah, given my decision criteria (I live within a budget, I am happy with my current boat layout, it does  everything I want from my boating experience, and its a solid well maintained hull),  I'm a big fan of repowering and if my Merc started to hiccup I'd just repower in a heartbeat. 

Cheers

Zoran

Thanks mate

I don't think I can get a second kicker motor on the back as my transom has a pod like build with only a small section built for the motor.   I attached a pic of how my transom looks.  This is not my boat as I'm not home at the moment to take a pic.  I appreciate you sharing your experience.  I would want to replace all my hoses and electrics for the new motor.  

Bear 

btw Zoran I like your boat mate she looks like a weapon.   I need (if I keep mine) to build a rocket launcher roof like yours.   Mine has a bimini but I can't stand under it and can't see enough safely under power when sitting lol

1302-P1150704_medium.jpg

Edited by Noo2OzFish
add pic

Yeah... I see what you mean.  A 2nd kicker could be done but probably more problematic than its worth. I have an alloy pod on mine so was not too hard to have an Aux motor mount fitted.  

Guess that simplifies things for you to one decision - new motor/change over  vs new boat.  

Regarding Repower option: 

What's your motor worth right now as is ? What would it be worth after you spent the $2500-3000?  Is there a big difference - would you get your money back on the repair?  If I got my money back, I'd get the repair done.

Once fixed, yes you have 3mths warranty (pretty poor eh?) but you have the option to re-assess the motor. If its otherwise reliable and this issue is behind you then fish-on! 

If you're still concerned about its age or ongoing reliability, it certainly would be easier to sell if you can demonstrate it working on your boat then if its sitting on a bracket in a shop or your garage. 

When  I sold my Yammie, I had a buyer committed (he paid a deposit after I took him on a sea trial). I also had the mechanic that was going to install my new motor lined up - I had negotiated removal of old motor free (as part of purchase install of new motor).

I then passed the mechanics details to the guy that bought my old motor and he got a deal on having it installed in his boat - essentially the mechanic had both boats there on the same day and did a lift and shift - easy multiple business for him.  He was happy, the buyer was happy getting it into his boat asap and it was a win win all around.

New motors come with new gauges/electronics - so just make sure you negotiate a price that includes all that - and  de-install old, and installation of new. 

You mentioned 17K for a new 115. That seems a bit high to me from the prices I saw recently.  Shop around - once your motor is working you have time to find the right deal / buyer combination.

Re Bimini - yup. My original one clipped down onto the steeply raked screen.  Looked sleek from the side, but what a pain in the a*se !. Couldnt stand, couldn't see if I sit, felt claustrophobic.  Changed that to a s/s rocket launcher with taller bimini with zip out clears between the screen and the raised bimini at the front. Then in 2016 upgraded to the ally hard top with  plate glass - awesome - such a big difference - just feels like a completely different boat and has so much room. I know its not everyone's cup of tea - especially for hardcore fishing,  but works for me, my wife and crew.... especially when you want to hide from the weather and elements etc. 

Here's a few clips ....

Cheers and Best of Luck with your decision.

Z

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Yeah... I see what you mean.  A 2nd kicker could be done but probably more problematic than its worth. I have an alloy pod on mine so was not too hard to have an Aux motor mount fitted.  

Guess that simplifies things for you to one decision - new motor/change over  vs new boat.  

Regarding Repower option: 

What's your motor worth right now as is ? What would it be worth after you spent the $2500-3000?  Is there a big difference - would you get your money back on the repair?  If I got my money back, I'd get the repair done.

You mentioned 17K for a new 115. That seems a bit high to me from the prices I saw recently.  Shop around - once your motor is working you have time to find the right deal / buyer combination.

beers and Best of Luck with your decision.

Z

I've been advised my motor as is   could be worth $1500 (could be the key word)    if I rebuild at say $3500 I imagine it would be worth about 3 maybe 4.    It runs now on the boat if anyone was interested to see.

Maybe the dealers I've asked are in cohoots lol but give or take $1000 they are all the same including guages wires etc. 17k to 18k

I originally was thinking of rebuilding the motor I have and whack it up for sale.  If she sold I'd use as a downpayment on a new motor otherwise keep using her.  

I really wish I could find a one left 115 2stroke new somewhere close for a good price,.

I guess any serious buyer would have the compression checked so even though the motor is running at present - that low compression will drive the $1500 price. Conversely fix the compression and its worth $3-4000.  I am not a mechanic, but I am aware there are tests (eg. Leak down test)  that can help diagnose what the issue is and determine if complete rebuild is required.  (Btw, the longer that cylinder has been running low, the more likely a rebuild is required. )

So if it as mine, I would get some tests done, to get a more accurate diagnosis... and also set my self a $1500 repair budget.  If the diagnosis indicates it can't be fixed within that budget, I'd lean toward selling it as is.

This guys always has good insights and I often find myself watching Stu instead of mindrot TV. He gives a decent overview of what they can assess with a leak down test.

Regarding new motors,  any serious dealer would sharpen their price pencil if the chequebook was infront of them with commitment to do business there and then (especially at boat shows) - my experience. 

Best of luck Bear... I feel for ya !

Cheers  Z

51 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

You could have got a Parsun 90 for $6400 new prior to the 2 stoke ban. The were a very good proposition for repowering an old boat.

Thanks,,   I think I found a new Tohatsu 90 2 stroke but with my hull rated to 115 not sure I'd be happy down sizing

2 minutes ago, Noo2OzFish said:

Thanks,,   I think I found a new Tohatsu 90 2 stroke but with my hull rated to 115 not sure I'd be happy down sizing

Depends how you found the 115 hp I suppose. Ie there might be a bit less top speed but otherwise not a huge difference (especially if it is down on compression on one cylinder).

44 minutes ago, Noo2OzFish said:

if I could find a big name 115 2 stroke for 75% or less the cost of the 4 stroke I would seriously consider it.  Not sure I'm willing to go Parsun ?

They are all right and a lot of them have been sold too. It would be all over the net with irate owners if they were substandard.