deep cycle battery

mii11x

Hi raiders,

After some reviews on the deep cycle batteries you guys are using for trolling motors.  My current deep cycle (Interstate Batteries SRM29  120AH) has dropped a cell .  Ive had it for close to 5 years now, so its been a good run.  It was powering my old MG W55 trolling motor.  

Its use will SOLELY be for powering my newly installed MG xi5 trolling motor.  It will be charged at home via an 8 year old CTEK multi xs7000.

I have seen on the interwebs some good reviews of GIANT branded batteries, the one I was considering in particular is the Giant AGM deep cycle 130AH.  Also checking out the AMPTECH range from supercharge.

Open to other brands, but don't want to break the bank really, im thinking $350 max, so that would leave out the optima and century range.

Looking forward to your opinions.

Cheers

Mick

44 minutes ago, mii11x said:

Hi raiders,

After some reviews on the deep cycle batteries you guys are using for trolling motors.  My current deep cycle (Interstate Batteries SRM29  120AH) has dropped a cell .  Ive had it for close to 5 years now, so its been a good run.  It was powering my old MG W55 trolling motor.  

Its use will SOLELY be for powering my newly installed MG xi5 trolling motor.  It will be charged at home via an 8 year old CTEK multi xs7000.

I have seen on the interwebs some good reviews of GIANT branded batteries, the one I was considering in particular is the Giant AGM deep cycle 130AH.  Also checking out the AMPTECH range from supercharge.

Open to other brands, but don't want to break the bank really, im thinking $350 max, so that would leave out the optima and century range.

Looking forward to your opinions.

Cheers

Mick

I’m sure my Century was about $315. I’ll check the model out when I get a chance. It runs my 55lb thrust Minn Kota fine and lasted me about 4 1/2 years.

Just checked my email and Luke from aussie batteries responded with this regarding the Giant brand agm deep cycle 130ah.  Look like i will give it a miss.  

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, we do not recommend our deep cycle battery and will not warranty our batteries if they are used on an electric motor. I would recommend contacting the manufacture or local distributor of your electric motor and asking them on the brand that they would recommend.

Regards, 

Luke Swan

12v Sales  - Aussie Batteries & Solar 
Freecall: 1800 853 315 Phone: 07 5443 2955

Ive replied to him just now to seek further clarification since their website states it is suitable, furthermore, there is an entire page devoted to selecting a deep cycle battery for trolling motors.

Ive also emailed supercharge regarding their amptech range and will await a response.  

I will keep updating this post with my results

3 hours ago, yella king said:

sorry for the late reply mii11x 

I have had my giant 130ah deep cycle for about 5 years now and not had any trouble

thats pretty good life for a battery.  Im just a little concerned now with why they are telling me they arent suitable for electric motors

12 hours ago, mii11x said:

thats pretty good life for a battery.  Im just a little concerned now with why they are telling me they arent suitable for electric motors

I didn`t ask them anything about how I was going to use it. I`m not sure why they would say that they are not suitable.

To me a deep cycle battery is a deep cycle battery, but as I said I have had no trouble with it and I normally do about 8 to 9 hours of trolling and working around snags in freshwater impoundments.

anyway that is my take on giant deep cycle batteries ,the final decision is up to you mate . Good luck and happy fishing

• 3 months later...
On 9/21/2018 at 9:14 PM, mii11x said:

Just checked my email and Luke from aussie batteries responded with this regarding the Giant brand agm deep cycle 130ah.  Look like i will give it a miss.  

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, we do not recommend our deep cycle battery and will not warranty our batteries if they are used on an electric motor. I would recommend contacting the manufacture or local distributor of your electric motor and asking them on the brand that they would recommend.

Regards, 

Luke Swan

12v Sales  - Aussie Batteries & Solar 
Freecall: 1800 853 315 Phone: 07 5443 2955

Ive replied to him just now to seek further clarification since their website states it is suitable, furthermore, there is an entire page devoted to selecting a deep cycle battery for trolling motors.

Ive also emailed supercharge regarding their amptech range and will await a response.  

I will keep updating this post with my results

What was his reply?