Port Stephens-Snapper Fishraider record

Scratchie

On 9/21/2018 at 12:43 PM, Scratchie said:

G’day raiders, 

Well all I can say is yewwwww!!!

As most of you know, I enjoy a bit of snapper fishing. Haha! So today, I planned to head out with Son no1 and hit Broughton for some snapper! Today is my only day off before 7 days of work, then holidays. So we were going rain, hail or shine! 

Left little beach at 445 and arrive at the sisters at first light. A strong southerly swell was getting up and a moderate westerly wind set our drift. First drift I land a nice 55cm snaps but that was it. Couple more drifts, donuts! Then we headed to north rock and my son comes up tight. A nice 50cm model to add to the esky! After that nothing!!! Probably put another 100-150 casts on many drifts for not a touch! Time to move! Went to an area with a bit more turbulent water for two drifts and 50 casts nothing! I said to the boy, one more long drift and we are out of here! 

By this stage, he had pretty much given up and let his sp drift behind the boat but I kept casting. Knowing we were soon going to hit the wall where I’d seen the bait pushed up before. One long cast and I let it waft, next minute bang, this thing hits it with so much force that I nearly lost the rod but then pops off! Devastated I wind in the slack and give it a twitch. Then boy did I load up! Zzzzzzzzzzz this first run was probably 100m plus and heading for structure! Those that have fished with me know that I set a tight drag but this fish didn’t care. So much so that I thought it was a shark until I felt telltale tail beats! Good fish good fish I call to the boy! I played this fish out for a good 15 minutes and then we get sight of it! OMG, it’s huge! Very calmly and collectively we worked together and got it in the net! Then in the boat and I’m sure you Sydney folk heard our cheers! 

My pb anyway and 95cm of soft plastics caught Broughton Island snapper! Yewwwww! After that we decided to call it a day and headed for Home! It’s amazing how one turn of a reel can change your day and to never have a defeatist attitude! 

Well that’s my day and record I’ve wanted for ages! Goal met! 

Gear: shimano ultegra 4000 Sahara 7,2 4-7kg rod, 20lb power pro braid, 20lb black magic fc leader, nitro tt 1/4 5/0xh jig and 7inch camp pearl gulp

Time: 9:30am

Tide: falling mid 

swell & wind: 1.4m south and 10knot wsw

cheers scratchie!!! 748325BA-467D-4B2B-9D50-918CC3E1F47C.thumb.jpeg.d9f35195977c856ade5646767e5dcbe5.jpegE343C181-A576-455E-BD47-D50F3CA40CCE.thumb.jpeg.242f4bd262f902bf4c2e07e449aa47b4.jpeg

I was down at Ulladulla for the young fellas father son footy trip away last weekend and one of the park residents caught a 65 on a live squid, which I would be also proud of, but I then showed him yours caught on a plastic and he nearly fell off his camp chair???.... I said u can teach an old dog new tricks , so off to the tackle store he went in search of gulps! 

thats a ripper bro , my bet you will get      A magic metre by years end!

CRACKER ????????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ribs said:

I was down at Ulladulla for the young fellas father son footy trip away last weekend and one of the park residents caught a 65 on a live squid, which I would be also proud of, but I then showed him yours caught on a plastic and he nearly fell off his camp chair???.... I said u can teach an old dog new tricks , so off to the tackle store he went in search of gulps! 

thats a ripper bro , my bet you will get      A magic metre by years end!

CRACKER ????????????

Your a classic Craig!! Thanks mate, I hope he grabbed the right gulps! Haha!!

16 minutes ago, Mr Dalucius said:

Great fish JEFF, and to share the experience with your son is something special.

A day we will both never forget! And at least I can start the conversation off with “ do you remember the day you NETTED my biggest snapper” lol ? 

On 9/21/2018 at 12:43 PM, Scratchie said:

G’day raiders, 

Well all I can say is yewwwww!!!

As most of you know, I enjoy a bit of snapper fishing. Haha! So today, I planned to head out with Son no1 and hit Broughton for some snapper! Today is my only day off before 7 days of work, then holidays. So we were going rain, hail or shine! 

Left little beach at 445 and arrive at the sisters at first light. A strong southerly swell was getting up and a moderate westerly wind set our drift. First drift I land a nice 55cm snaps but that was it. Couple more drifts, donuts! Then we headed to north rock and my son comes up tight. A nice 50cm model to add to the esky! After that nothing!!! Probably put another 100-150 casts on many drifts for not a touch! Time to move! Went to an area with a bit more turbulent water for two drifts and 50 casts nothing! I said to the boy, one more long drift and we are out of here! 

By this stage, he had pretty much given up and let his sp drift behind the boat but I kept casting. Knowing we were soon going to hit the wall where I’d seen the bait pushed up before. One long cast and I let it waft, next minute bang, this thing hits it with so much force that I nearly lost the rod but then pops off! Devastated I wind in the slack and give it a twitch. Then boy did I load up! Zzzzzzzzzzz this first run was probably 100m plus and heading for structure! Those that have fished with me know that I set a tight drag but this fish didn’t care. So much so that I thought it was a shark until I felt telltale tail beats! Good fish good fish I call to the boy! I played this fish out for a good 15 minutes and then we get sight of it! OMG, it’s huge! Very calmly and collectively we worked together and got it in the net! Then in the boat and I’m sure you Sydney folk heard our cheers! 

My pb anyway and 95cm of soft plastics caught Broughton Island snapper! Yewwwww! After that we decided to call it a day and headed for Home! It’s amazing how one turn of a reel can change your day and to never have a defeatist attitude! 

Well that’s my day and record I’ve wanted for ages! Goal met! 

Gear: shimano ultegra 4000 Sahara 7,2 4-7kg rod, 20lb power pro braid, 20lb black magic fc leader, nitro tt 1/4 5/0xh jig and 7inch camp pearl gulp

Time: 9:30am

Tide: falling mid 

swell & wind: 1.4m south and 10knot wsw

cheers scratchie!!! 748325BA-467D-4B2B-9D50-918CC3E1F47C.thumb.jpeg.d9f35195977c856ade5646767e5dcbe5.jpegE343C181-A576-455E-BD47-D50F3CA40CCE.thumb.jpeg.242f4bd262f902bf4c2e07e449aa47b4.jpeg

Just wow and congratulations Scratchie, what a buzz to land such a beautiful fish, a catch of a lifetime for some people, A catch to be proud of, a catch to make everyone and applaud .?

1 hour ago, Basil D said:

Just wow and congratulations Scratchie, what a buzz to land such a beautiful fish, a catch of a lifetime for some people, A catch to be proud of, a catch to make everyone and applaud .?

Thanks MR. Groper! I’m not after applaus just a bit of self satisfaction knowing all my knots held. Haha ? 

• Like 1