Bidgee report

big Neil

Had a trip down to one of the local weirs this arvo and managed a few fish. Arrived at 4.30 pm to find a nice flow in the river and the weir absolutely roaring with the sound of gushing water. At exactly 6pm I had the first bite on worms...a very large Carp which was looking for an easy feed in the backwash from the main current. Within 5 minutes I landed a Yellowbelly of 42 cms. I decided to cast the other rod further round into the backwash and within minutes had a good bite. Another Yella of 52 cms. Both Yellas were in excellent condition and after 20 mins with no more bites, I pulled up stumps, cleaned the 2 fish and headed home on dusk. As so often happens when the water is still cool, the window of opportunity is very small. Glad to break my personal fishing drought, having been fishless for over 4 months. Here's a couple of photos. Cheers, bnIMG_1115rs.thumb.jpg.748da44ed1acf23e0dd674e9a65cc596.jpgIMG_1121rs.thumb.jpg.2c44bcb8e47b3f3e73e62c777f22aef6.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Good stuff BN. Four months, wow! You were probably wondering what that tug on your line was! Haha! Never eaten yellow belly, how do you cook them? 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Hi Scratchie. I usually cook them whole in Alfoil. Include salt, lemon slices and white wine. BBQ or in the oven. Actually taste pretty good. Yep, 4 months without a single bite...although to be fair, I've only had the boat in the water twice because the water levels have been too low. Had quite a few land-based trips though for NIL action. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

23 hours ago, frankS said:

Well done old mate, good to see a couple of nice fish on the bank, I generally fillet and get rid of the fat before cooking, very tasty flesh and a good meal.

Frank

Hi Frank (old buddy). There's no visible fat on the yellas from the river...I guess they work harder for their food than impoundment yellas, due to the sometimes raging current. As you say, they taste quite good, for freshwater fish. Will likely be heading to Sydney mid-October for an 80th birthday bash. Will keep you posted on plans when I know myself. Will defo catch up. How's the boat coming along? Haven't been out in mine for months. Cheers, speak soon...Neil