NRL Grand Final

sam bros

6 hours ago, sam bros said:

Which team is everyone supporting in the grand final?

As much as I don't like rooster, I'd prefer them to win over the storm

The lesser of two evils haha

Also I am a bit dissapointed slater was allowed to play

Roosters here too for the same reasons and yes, I was not surpised to hear Slater go off.

5 out of 7 players have beaten the charge  since shoulder charge ban was introduced so, given who it is and the fact that its the grand final , and the questionable evidence that his right arm made first contact ( very sus that one) the judiciary was probably never going to stop him playing in the G/Final.

• Like 1

Any other player on any other ground would have spent 10 minutes in the bin ( if not worse ) at the time of the offence. If Slater had of been sent to the bin there would have been a on field invasion from the fans and the refs would have been in danger, and the refs knew it!!! .

I never for one minute doubted he would  get off, you could tell the way all the commentators were backing him up and trying to make excuses for him.

That's pretty well it for Rugby League for me, the officials have lost face.

Frank

I'm a dragons and sharkies supporter so it doesn't really bother to me, both of the cocks and storm knocked out my two teams, would like to see the cocks win it, i dont think billy the kid should be playing. If you look at his history he gets away with a lot of things in front of the judiciary, which joe bloe would be banned for several weeks. but guess it will be his last game and he is pretty taken car of being how wealthy he is, after all he is 35 years old, time for retirement, what a life wish i could have million dollar bank accounts and retire at 35 odd.

I have a policy where I go for any team that is playing against Storm. Issue is I also have a policy where I go for any team that is playing against the Roosters. Best case scenario both teams get done for breaching the salary cap and are kicked out of the comp, and the mighty Tigers are given the premiership out of pity, because lord knows we deserve it

Edited by Aardvarking
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Aardvarking said:

I have a policy where I go for any team that is playing against Storm. Issue is I also have a policy where I go for any team that is playing against the Roosters. Best case scenario both teams get done for breaching the salary cap and are kicked out of the comp, and the mighty Tigers are given the premiership out of pity, because lord knows we deserve it

Me too. I am a born and bred Souths supporter. Grew up in Coogee/Maroubra area and would NEVER go for Roosters! Storm is just wrong.

• Like 1

I had a feeling Slater would get off. Although a brilliant footballer, I feel he’s a grub the way he plays sometimes - very dangerous. I’m sure it was a shoulder charge, perhaps not as bad as a head on shoulder charge by a front rower but a shoulder charge nonetheless. I guess one thing that may have swayed the decision was the way it was dealt with on the field at the time... just a penalty and “on report”. If it was a genuine shoulder charge (I think it was), it should have been a penalty try (he was going in) and 10 minutes in the bin. Since that didn’t happen, it would give credence to a defence case, IMO.

Edited by Berleyguts

12 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I had a feeling Slater would get off. Although a brilliant footballer, I feel he’s a grub the way he plays sometimes - very dangerous. I’m sure it was a shoulder charge, perhaps not as bad as a head on shoulder charge by a front rower but a shoulder charge nonetheless. I guess one thing that may have swayed the decision was the way it was dealt with on the field at the time... just a penalty and “on report”. If it was a genuine shoulder charge (I think it was), it should have been a penalty try (he was going in) and 10 minutes in the bin. Since that didn’t happen, it would give credence to a defence case, IMO.

As I stated earlier, IF Slater had of been sin binned ( like any other player would have ) the crowd would have gone wild and invaded the field and the refs knew it so took the cowardly way out. That 10 minutes may have turned the outcome of the game around, so I believe the refs gave the entire game to the Storm, so I have had enough of Rugby League after a lifetime of being a supporter.

Frank

Edited by frankS

Opened up a can of worms here

I feel like by definition, what he did was a shoulder charge and there is no way you can sugar coat that

He deserves a one match ban

But he is one of the greatest fullbacks so it would be sad not to see him play in his final match

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:47 AM, fragmeister said:

Roosters here too for the same reasons and yes, I was not surpised to hear Slater go off.

5 out of 7 players have beaten the charge  since shoulder charge ban was introduced so, given who it is and the fact that its the grand final , and the questionable evidence that his right arm made first contact ( very sus that one) the judiciary was probably never going to stop him playing in the G/Final.

Agree Jim. His name allowed for him to play in the G/F.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, Berleyguts said:

I had a feeling Slater would get off. Although a brilliant footballer, I feel he’s a grub the way he plays sometimes - very dangerous. I’m sure it was a shoulder charge, perhaps not as bad as a head on shoulder charge by a front rower but a shoulder charge nonetheless.

Cameron Smith is probably worse.

Am i the only one who thinks the shoulder charge should never have been banned.

Call me a dinosaur......but i loved league alot more when it had a bit of brawn in it.

10 years from now i can see league transforming into soccer....players falling over at the slightest touch for a penalty.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Call me a dinosaur......but i loved league alot more when it had a bit of brawn in it.

10 years from now i can see league transforming into soccer....players falling over at the slightest touch for a penalty.

And bring back the BIFF ?, love watching that old footage of guys just going to town on each other

On 9/27/2018 at 9:38 AM, Squ!rt said:

I'm a dragons and sharkies supporter so it doesn't really bother to me, both of the cocks and storm knocked out my two teams, would like to see the cocks win it, i dont think billy the kid should be playing. If you look at his history he gets away with a lot of things in front of the judiciary, which joe bloe would be banned for several weeks. but guess it will be his last game and he is pretty taken car of being how wealthy he is, after all he is 35 years old, time for retirement, what a life wish i could have million dollar bank accounts and retire at 35 odd.

Haha, wishful thinking Squirt. Not possible to retire at 35 and live a decent life, no matter how much you have earned. Of course, you look at most of the retired players and they're all offering some opinion on how they see things going...and (no doubt) getting paid for their views. I'm not a big RL fan but used to follow the Roosters when I lived in Sydney. Alas, Melbourne teams dipped out in both Finals. Such is life. bn

21 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Absolutely agree with you.....................I actually am a dinosaur, but with the the ridiculous rules, interpretations and inconsistencies, it surely is heading towards the theatrics of soccer unfortunately.

On another note.....Billy Slater, like him or hate him, but what an absolute disgrace for the Sydney fans to boo this great stalwart of Australian Rugby League. You oght to be ashamed of yourselves!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mullatt said:

Absolutely agree with you.....................I actually am a dinosaur, but with the the ridiculous rules, interpretations and inconsistencies, it surely is heading towards the theatrics of soccer unfortunately.

On another note.....Billy Slater, like him or hate him, but what an absolute disgrace for the Sydney fans to boo this great stalwart of Australian Rugby League. You oght to be ashamed of yourselves!

Such is the sad character of our nation at the moment mate. Greenies, alternate theology and militant political correctness running this country.

Years of excellent servitude for team, state and international representation all forgotten for the sake of a questionable penalty.

Oh well....... 

• Like 1