Recommended Posts

Just wanted to alert Raiders to a short informative report on ABC's Landline. Talks about the well documented White Spot virus from imported prawns and the reason that Bloodworms are currently unavailable. A very sad state of affairs. 

It is on ABC at 12.59 PM Monday

Edited by wazatherfisherman
added time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again??

 

This reeked havoc on the local industry  last time & tonnes of stock had to be destroyed!

 

We had to stock selling functions with prawns on the menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

So I take it we're still  not supposed to fish with supermarket bought prawns?

richard

I sometimes use king or banana prawns from Woolies. As far as I’m aware, they’re OK. There are signs in the imported prawns saying “not to be used for bait”. So I don’t. Won’t eat them... won’t feed them to fish I’m going to eat. ?

PS. Australian king or banana prawns from Woolies. ?

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

So I take it we're still  not supposed to fish with supermarket bought prawns?

richard

Hi Richard- no don't use supermarket bought prawns! The continued importation is ridiculous- why bring anything to Australia that poses any risk, let alone one that could wipe out our own stocks. The government knew of this risk beforehand and regardless of 'balance of trade' arrangements should never have let this come to our shores. We have some mindless fools making diabolical decisions. A far more worthwhile environmental campaign than the 'lockouts'. 

Be safe, buy Australian

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Richard- no don't use supermarket bought prawns! The continued importation is ridiculous- why bring anything to Australia that poses any risk, let alone one that could wipe out our own stocks. The government knew of this risk beforehand and regardless of 'balance of trade' arrangements should never have let this come to our shores. We have some mindless fools making diabolical decisions. A far more worthwhile environmental campaign than the 'lockouts'. 

Be safe, buy Australian

I couldn’t agree more.

What I have found is generally people dismiss me saying anything about it, replying something along the lines of it’s cheaper, or good eat enough to eat, or making out I am being petty.   The last advice I read was do not use any prawns for bait unless it is sold as bait.

In my opinion it is poor signage from the supermarkets.

Facebook forums most people dissmiss it too.

I just can’t figure out the attitude of our government and many fishos too.  It can’t be that hard to put Australia first. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G'day Welster the people that are so 'dismissive' take too much for granted. It's easy to complain after the damage is done. You aren't being 'petty' in my book, more like 'environmentally responsible'. They'd sure be whinging if White Spot ruined our prawn fishery. It only takes one bad prawn to transmit the virus. The Pilchard fishery hasn't forgotten the great Pilchard kill attributed to imported frozen pilly's used for Tuna farm food. I was fishing Sydney Harbour (Sow and Pigs) the night the dead/dying pilly's floated in en mass. "Beaches of Death" was the Telegraph's front page the next morning. It was 'surreal' to have thousands of them floating past the boat

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if white spot can affect crabs , my mate caught a muddie last week with white spots all over it I told him to send pics to fisheries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

Does anyone know if white spot can affect crabs , my mate caught a muddie last week with white spots all over it I told him to send pics to fisheries

Hi Dirvin21  further reading on White spot syndrome indicates that crabs are also susceptible to the condition. Local environmental stressors are the influencing factors on the severity. Hope the spots are from a lesser horror

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Richard- no don't use supermarket bought prawns! The continued importation is ridiculous- why bring anything to Australia that poses any risk, let alone one that could wipe out our own stocks. The government knew of this risk beforehand and regardless of 'balance of trade' arrangements should never have let this come to our shores. We have some mindless fools making diabolical decisions. A far more worthwhile environmental campaign than the 'lockouts'. 

Be safe, buy Australian

Hi thanks for the reply, I've searched around the internet and it says only use prawns marked as bait and not to use prawns marked for human consumption, but can I use prawns from say the supermarket if they're caught in Australia.

Sorry not trying to nit pick just want to be clear and what's safe and whats not.

cheers

Richard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

G'day Welster the people that are so 'dismissive' take too much for granted. It's easy to complain after the damage is done. You aren't being 'petty' in my book, more like 'environmentally responsible'. They'd sure be whinging if White Spot ruined our prawn fishery. It only takes one bad prawn to transmit the virus. The Pilchard fishery hasn't forgotten the great Pilchard kill attributed to imported frozen pilly's used for Tuna farm food. I was fishing Sydney Harbour (Sow and Pigs) the night the dead/dying pilly's floated in en mass. "Beaches of Death" was the Telegraph's front page the next morning. It was 'surreal' to have thousands of them floating past the boat

I hadn’t heard of that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Welster said:

I hadn’t heard of that one.

Beaches of death was the morning headline and front cover of the Telegraph. The cover was a picture taken from the small beach facing towards the heads at Bradleys Head. 10's of thousands of dead pillies had come in on the big incoming tide in the night (it was full moon and we were Tailor fishing at Sow and Pigs Reef) and washed up on the beach. 1995 was the year and it would have been the night of the full moon in April. We scooped up a couple of boxes as they floated past us. No Tailor to be seen that night but an enormous mass of squid were there feeding on the pillies. The two major seagull flocks of Sydney Harbour were also sitting just offshore, gorging on the dead fish, luckily, the virus didn't affect the rest of the sea life (by being consumed I mean) or it would have been a chain of death. It was put down to a herpes virus that most likely came from using imported frozen pillies to feed the S.A Tuna farms. Why governments don't learn from these types of incidents is the big question. White spot should never have reached here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Hi thanks for the reply, I've searched around the internet and it says only use prawns marked as bait and not to use prawns marked for human consumption, but can I use prawns from say the supermarket if they're caught in Australia.

Sorry not trying to nit pick just want to be clear and what's safe and whats not.

cheers

Richard

Hi Richard for safety's sake I reckon that'd be wise to only use Aussie caught prawns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Richard for safety's sake I reckon that'd be wise to only use Aussie caught prawns

thanks mate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Beaches of death was the morning headline and front cover of the Telegraph. The cover was a picture taken from the small beach facing towards the heads at Bradleys Head. 10's of thousands of dead pillies had come in on the big incoming tide in the night (it was full moon and we were Tailor fishing at Sow and Pigs Reef) and washed up on the beach. 1995 was the year and it would have been the night of the full moon in April. We scooped up a couple of boxes as they floated past us. No Tailor to be seen that night but an enormous mass of squid were there feeding on the pillies. The two major seagull flocks of Sydney Harbour were also sitting just offshore, gorging on the dead fish, luckily, the virus didn't affect the rest of the sea life (by being consumed I mean) or it would have been a chain of death. It was put down to a herpes virus that most likely came from using imported frozen pillies to feed the S.A Tuna farms. Why governments don't learn from these types of incidents is the big question. White spot should never have reached here

I remember that..... we had a school camp at the time all us boys had a pilchard fight on the beach

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      63,167
    • Total Posts
      502,787