Another fishless day

JonD

It’s hard work looking for some decent fish! I’ve seen a few big snapper up here in the last week but all that have caught them have got nothing else! I managed few today but had to travel for them! 

Nice pics! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

If there are that many flying and swimming critters, there must be some baitfish around.

What is the water temp?

16 degrees up here around Wanda/Cronulla, a bit cold for a swim a few days ago.

25 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Great photos Jon.

Desperate times call for desperate measures...have u tried bottom bashing with bait?

Yes bottom bashed and micro jigged, even under the bait balls, plenty of jackets snipping off every rig you drop.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

If there are that many flying and swimming critters, there must be some baitfish around.

What is the water temp?

16 degrees up here around Wanda/Cronulla, a bit cold for a swim a few days ago.

Yep same temp here, risen to 16.2, nothing under the bait that would take bait or micro. Deeper water full of jackets and coota.

2 hours ago, Ledge said:

Well I’m sure it’s small consolation but it motivates me to know that even YOU have fishless days JonD! Always enjoy your reports and photos. Ledge

Had quite a few fishless this winter. I do wonder if the constant increase in jackets and coota may completely change our grounds, you have to wonder what else they are feeding on apart from our baits and lures. On the upside the occasional boat finds a patch of reds every now and then.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JonD said:

Had quite a few fishless this winter. I do wonder if the constant increase in jackets and coota may completely change our grounds, you have to wonder what else they are feeding on apart from our baits and lures. On the upside the occasional boat finds a patch of reds every now and then.

When the jackets increase in big numbers, they will eat anything and everything that can be eaten.

When there was a jacket plague about 10 years ago off Cronulla, 2 jackets I caught around the 40cm mark had obviously attacked and eaten a small blue spotted ray before I pulled them out. One jacket had the whole of the ray's tail in it's guts, with just a few chew marks along the way, and the other one had part of the body of the ray in it's guts, including an eye. The eye was not damaged at all, it was still in one piece.

Throwing over a dead jacket, about 100 jackets came in for the kill and ate every part of the dead jacket in less than 1 minute. Worse than a feeding frenzy of piranha. Would not want to fall overboard with them.

As for barracouta, the dumb arses of the ocean.

• Like 4

Hi Jon, it certainly appears that fishing has been in the doldrums for most of us throughout the Winter months (and beyond). But what the heck, when we can see the things we see and take a few photos of the magnificent natural environment...it eases the hurt. Great action photos, bn

• Like 2

6 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi Jon, it certainly appears that fishing has been in the doldrums for most of us throughout the Winter months (and beyond). But what the heck, when we can see the things we see and take a few photos of the magnificent natural environment...it eases the hurt. Great action photos, bn

Yes I agree, I enjoy being out on the water just spotting wildlife or out in the bush searching for critters to photograph. The poor catch reports are also handy for anyone considering putting in the effort, or simply realising we are all in the same boat to a certain point. 

Ive had some friends here with two boats that managed 4 trips in a row, during which time they've landed 3 flathead and lost over $400 of gear between them. As mentioned the odd boat gets a few reds every now and then so things are starting to pick up possibly. Plenty of tourists here at the moment trying their luck.

• Like 1

Hi Jon

Do you not eat Leatherjacket, I watched a video on how to clean them and it was so it easy, They did give plenty or repeat warnings about the teeth and the spike.

I have never caught one but figured if it taste as good as they say and was that easy to clean then might give them a try.

2 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Hi Jon

Do you not eat Leatherjacket, I watched a video on how to clean them and it was so it easy, They did give plenty or repeat warnings about the teeth and the spike.

I have never caught one but figured if it taste as good as they say and was that easy to clean then might give them a try.

They do indeed taste very good. I have wondered the same thing...why do people not target them? Cheers, bn

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

They do indeed taste very good. I have wondered the same thing...why do people not target them? Cheers, bn

If i had to take one easy guess it would have to be the fact that you will lose a tremendous amount of tackle targeting jackets. Lines with any trace or smell of bait from your fingers will get snipped and iv even had soft plastics shredded on the way up.

Guest Guest123456789

+1 on targeting jackets - wouldn’t it be great to thin them out a bit. Surely a wire trace and bait would do the trick along with a big meat cleaver to remove the head. I’ve eaten them before they are delicious but quite big bones, I baked them whole 

1 hour ago, flatheadluke said:

+1 on targeting jackets - wouldn’t it be great to thin them out a bit. Surely a wire trace and bait would do the trick

I have used wire before, and the little bastards will chew the line above the trace, sometimes not far under the surface.

What you need is a line that is all wire from above the surface to the hooks.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

If i had to take one easy guess it would have to be the fact that you will lose a tremendous amount of tackle targeting jackets. Lines with any trace or smell of bait from your fingers will get snipped and iv even had soft plastics shredded on the way up.

It's funny how we can have very different experiences in the same situation. I have fished for Leatherjackets twice, in different locations and never lost any gear. The first was an inlet near to Dalmeny where my late uncle and I pulled them up 2 at a time on paternoster rigs (these were around 20 - 25 cms) and the second was at Montague Island ( these were 40 - 50+ cms). I must have been extremely lucky for I don't doubt the reality of what most people experience. They are a good feed though and very easy to prepare for cooking. Cheers, bn

Guest Guest123456789
10 hours ago, Yowie said:

I have used wire before, and the little bastards will chew the line above the trace, sometimes not far under the surface.

What you need is a line that is all wire from above the surface to the hooks.  :lol:

You’re a real clown

1 hour ago, flatheadluke said:

You’re a real clown

Just being practical. :lol: Have lost plenty of gear to jackets over the years, must be keeping the tackle shops in business.

My grandfather told me that many years ago, when he was fairly young, the jackets would be in plague numbers off the coast and he would hold a dead fish on the surface to attract the jackets, then pick them out by hand and into the boat. He still had all of his fingers.  :lol::lol:

• Haha 2

I don't mind the taste and flavour of the  bigger model jackets - so if we hit a patch I have two go-to rigs that have worked for me to minimize gear loss.

a) GO DARK and LONG: theory here was give the pesky buggers nothing that would attract them anywhere except to the hooks/bait. Made 4-5ft black wire traces, tied into a paternoster with the hooks way down low away from the line attachment point. Loop at bottom for snapper lead (as shiny as possible), and loop at top for line/braid. Tie line directly to the wire loop - no swivel. 

b) GO SHINY and SPARKLY: theory being they love to chew on anything shiny - formed after observing the snapper lead coming up with jacket teeth marks all over it. So I purchased about 50 packets of these shiny spangly beaded wire paternosters (*bay store) ... and they are kept ready to snap onto a bottom bash rig.  

image.png.220656c6c679ba52140e24c3db9b29da.png

image.thumb.png.a00ecab52066a1451bfd68faab0c73c6.png

Cheers

Zoran

• Like 1

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Just being practical. :lol: Have lost plenty of gear to jackets over the years, must be keeping the tackle shops in business.

My grandfather told me that many years ago, when he was fairly young, the jackets would be in plague numbers off the coast and he would hold a dead fish on the surface to attract the jackets, then pick them out by hand and into the boat. He still had all of his fingers.  :lol::lol:

You still live at home right? Does grandpa live there too?