Another fishless day

JonD

Before braid I used to use single strand wire like the trace line we use for spotted and Spanish mackerel,  I don't want to go back to those days but I'm sure it would stop them biting through the main line. As mentioned they bite through colour change braid at the change points as well as any mono knots, this is often near the surface meaning you lose 50m of braid each time it happens. On the trip before this we lost so much braid that three outfits were unusable. I prefer colour change using soft plastics as it makes fishing the right depth far easier.

On the upside, this has been the best southern rock lobster season we have ever experienced. Not only are the lobsters in very good numbers, finding decent sized ones is also pretty easy, some nests holding 40-60.

• Like 1

Just switch to all mono. They largely leave it alone (the main line that is). You can use one of those wire paternoster rigs as well if the jackets are particularly troublesome. You can try low stretch mono like the one Platypus makes to help feel the bites.

Just an observation - I have never had a fishless day offshore fishing from Sydney.

Edited by kingfishbig
  • Like 1

Im curious if the jackets are attracted to the line colour or scent as I have been told not to touch line with hands used in baiting??

Lost plenty of rigs of braid of one colour half way through the water column & not sure why at that point??

Nice pics by the way & agree Id be happy to come home fishless if I could witness that kind of spectacle!

Lots of people pay big money to see the same thing!

9 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Im curious if the jackets are attracted to the line colour or scent as I have been told not to touch line with hands used in baiting??

Lost plenty of rigs of braid of one colour half way through the water column & not sure why at that point??

I think they are attracted to any point where there is a change - change of colour, change of scent, change in size - living in a school of jackets they probably have a nano second to decide to bite something or risk missing out on a meal.

I have been bitten off on solid green braid (no colour change) half way up the water column - I suspect that a bit of floating weed or algae got caught on the braid and provided that variation/movement -- snip !

10 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice pics by the way & agree Id be happy to come home fishless if I could witness that kind of spectacle!

Lots of people pay big money to see the same thing!

I reckon @JonD needs a special section on FR just to create a gallery that we can scroll through over and over - outstanding photos again.

Cheers Z

3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

I think they are attracted to any point where there is a change - change of colour, change of scent, change in size - living in a school of jackets they probably have a nano second to decide to bite something or risk missing out on a meal.

I have been bitten off on solid green braid (no colour change) half way up the water column - I suspect that a bit of floating weed or algae got caught on the braid and provided that variation/movement -- snip !

I reckon @JonD needs a special section on FR just to create a gallery that we can scroll through over and over - outstanding photos again.

Cheers Z

Funny you mention scent, as an old pilchard ended up in the anchor well which squashed into the rope, after around 20mins the jackets had almost gone right through 10mm rope. We only pulled the anchor because we were loosing gear to jackets, if we had been down on scuba we would of most likely returned to the surface after 45 mins to find the boat gone.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, JonD said:

if we had been down on scuba we would of most likely returned to the surface after 45 mins to find the boat gone.

I honestly didn't know which emoticon to pick for that. !!!  Could have been really nasty and all because of pesky jackets !! 

I'm starting to think, just like we have a hairtail social .... maybe when they are in numbers we should have a "JACKET" social ... see if we can cull a few, test our different rigs and get a feed !

Cheers

Zoran

10 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Cheers Z

@JonD why not make a folder in your Gallery here on FR? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JonD said:

Where do I head to find my gallery ?

On phone - Ok top right 3 horizontal bars drop down the menu/list

find “gallery” and select it

EE278914-474D-43FD-B92F-43B66C5F528F.png

Select “add images” green button and it will open up as below. 

Start creating your Galleries :)

22729EA8-E561-43E2-BF71-A0A728D5972A.png

Raiders check out the over 500 galleries in there!

• Like 1

Thanks for that, gave it a couple of try's without luck but then realised it must be because others have used the same tittle. After making an obscure random word all worked. Only now I can't seem to get rid of the silly named gallery.

Cheers?

Edited by JonD

Even though I can't seem to change the gallery name now which doesn't really matter I'm also not able to upload any images. A warning that my file size is 74,456kb  pops up but my files were reduced in photoshop to around 200kb just like they are in any of my fishing reports. Tec ain't my thing?

2 hours ago, JonD said:

Even though I can't seem to change the gallery name now which doesn't really matter I'm also not able to upload any images. A warning that my file size is 74,456kb  pops up but my files were reduced in photoshop to around 200kb just like they are in any of my fishing reports. Tec ain't my thing?

Hmmmm let me look into this 

On 10/4/2018 at 8:09 AM, Yowie said:

Just being practical. :lol: Have lost plenty of gear to jackets over the years, must be keeping the tackle shops in business.

My grandfather told me that many years ago, when he was fairly young, the jackets would be in plague numbers off the coast and he would hold a dead fish on the surface to attract the jackets, then pick them out by hand and into the boat. He still had all of his fingers.  :lol::lol:

Guys - Yowie is right. I can't see why someone would call someone else a clown. Years ago I had bought a 300m spool of plastic coated wire and spooled up an alvey deckwinch. I made droppers with crimps and swivels. Caught heaps of jackets and never lost a hook. I fish inshore these days and I sold my big boat and the deckwinch years ago. The buyer was very suprised and greatful for the winch and intel on it's use... No clowns in sight...

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:37 AM, Keflapod said:

Guys - Yowie is right. I can't see why someone would call someone else a clown. Years ago I had bought a 300m spool of plastic coated wire and spooled up an alvey deckwinch. I made droppers with crimps and swivels. Caught heaps of jackets and never lost a hook. I fish inshore these days and I sold my big boat and the deckwinch years ago. The buyer was very suprised and greatful for the winch and intel on it's use... No clowns in sight...

Yowie is not the only one, the same poster called me a commercial fisherman - apparently for being too knowledgeable on fisheries topics!

Edited by kingfishbig
spelling
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Keflapod said:

Thanks Keflapod.

Flatheadluke also made a comment about grandpa still living at home. Well, my grandfather died about 20 years ago so I just ignored Flatheadluke. If he was trying to be funny, he wasn't.

My father, grandfather and great grandfather taught me various aspects of fishing, and I learnt a lot myself by trial and error.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 5:52 PM, zmk1962 said:

I honestly didn't know which emoticon to pick for that. !!!  Could have been really nasty and all because of pesky jackets !! 

I'm starting to think, just like we have a hairtail social .... maybe when they are in numbers we should have a "JACKET" social ... see if we can cull a few, test our different rigs and get a feed !

Cheers

Zoran

Your not actually suggesting we go out and actually target these things are you......I already donate enough gear to them, let alone willingly, sounds like a terrible idea ???

Gee Jon sounds like your having a terrible time with them down your way, we get them in plague proportions up here but you can always find somewhere to get away from them 

1 hour ago, rozza_b said:

Your not actually suggesting we go out and actually target these things are you......I already donate enough gear to them, let alone willingly, sounds like a terrible idea ???

Gee Jon sounds like your having a terrible time with them down your way, we get them in plague proportions up here but you can always find somewhere to get away from them 

I think the fact you get that warmer water before us (talking 17'c as warm) and it's only just reaching us now, could be something to do with why we have them so long. I noticed warmer water pushing down past Sydney but then turn offshore at Jervis Bay, simular thing early in the season the last few years. Last weekend the 17'c hit us and the catch picked up instantly, unfortunately it's been to rough to get out and give it a try all week. 

44 minutes ago, JonD said:

I think the fact you get that warmer water before us (talking 17'c as warm) and it's only just reaching us now, could be something to do with why we have them so long. I noticed warmer water pushing down past Sydney but then turn offshore at Jervis Bay, simular thing early in the season the last few years. Last weekend the 17'c hit us and the catch picked up instantly, unfortunately it's been to rough to get out and give it a try all week. 

Yeah possibly, we always seem to get the cudda in plague proportions everywhere just not jackets, they seem to like hanging out down deep up here which is good in a way, waters has seemed freezing for us this year (I haven't actually looked at the charts though) def not as cold as you guys get but hopefully things start to pick up now the waters starting to warm up,  bet your itching to get out and give it a crack with a push of warmer water know I am.