Port Stephens- Just when you thought!!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Just when you thought you worked it out! No!!!!!!!

I’ll keep it brief, headed out this morning with @Woodsy1. We made a fair trek north. Started a drift at first light nothing! Moved around to several spots for nothing! Then we found a good patch of bait. It was there most of the day so we kept working it. All we could manage was 6 pannies to bring home! It was great conditions but couldn’t find a decent fish to get the heart racing! Still a great trip and always fun to be out there having a go! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 189B45A7-0985-4223-8E9B-7A5C01BBE8A0.thumb.png.df376125b52baba3551aaccf3b1b80ca.png94BA39D2-7986-4F85-9E6B-CD2FC899E5AD.thumb.jpeg.bcfe6a8bb98691836244fb19e9bafa53.jpeg

• Like 14

12 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Great work Scratchie and Woodsy !!!! Awesome fish

PS...for the rest of us humble village fisherman....a 50 to 60cm snapper is considered a great catch haha...

Thanks Sam! I’m not complaining. Well not completely. The area we went to is a fair way and renown for big snaps but it wasn’t be! Still looking forward dinner ?

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Sounds like my voodoo doll is working   bahahaha

Haha, noooooooooooo! I wondered what was happening! Lol. Still got a few but there far between! 

7 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Makes me rethink goin e b in two weeks   but things might change by then  what was the water like ?   Was there much on sounder  also any slimies anywhere

Water was dirty but starting to warm up. Temp was 17.9 best we got was 19.2. 

The bait we came across were small yakkas. We stopped on the way back at cabbage tree and only pencil slimies! Most good snapper from this week were caught out deep! 

55 minutes ago, frankS said:

I think Snapper between 30 and 40 cm are best on the chew, larger are great to catch but I prefer the smaller ones for the plate. You done OK and I would be happy with that haul for a session.

Frank

Thanks frank! I was happy with the fish we caught. Most were just over 50. Just would have liked a few bigger fish to tangle with! Haha

57 minutes ago, RippinLips270 said:

hey scratchie 

only new on here like your post will be heading up there saterday for the week hows the fishing in the bay or do i have to go out are there any kingys about 

Welcome to fishraider. 

Read this thread as the information is all relevant.....

Cheers scratchie!!! 

4 hours ago, RippinLips270 said:

hey scratchie 

only new on here like your post will be heading up there saterday for the week hows the fishing in the bay or do i have to go out are there any kingys about 

Hi RippinLips270, Not sure I want to know how you got that username! ?

Read Scratchie’s thread he’s pointed you towards for some tips on Port.

In the Bay, the flathead are starting to come on the chew. There’s bream and luderick about and the red spot whiting. Won’t be long before the sand whiting come on the chew. Mud crabs in the upper reaches and blue swimmers lower down (I’ll start putting my pots in as soon as the seagulls, sorry, holiday makers go home!). My mate caught quite a mixed bag off the breakwall the other day - bream, whiting, flounder, flathead, luderick and some type of sweet lip. I’ve heard of the odd king being taken off the breakwall on livies but haven’t seen them. Hope that helps.

7 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Hi RippinLips270, Not sure I want to know how you got that username! ?

Read Scratchie’s thread he’s pointed you towards for some tips on Port.

In the Bay, the flathead are starting to come on the chew. There’s bream and luderick about and the red spot whiting. Won’t be long before the sand whiting come on the chew. Mud crabs in the upper reaches and blue swimmers lower down (I’ll start putting my pots in as soon as the seagulls, sorry, holiday makers go home!). My mate caught quite a mixed bag off the breakwall the other day - bream, whiting, flounder, flathead, luderick and some type of sweet lip. I’ve heard of the odd king being taken off the breakwall on livies but haven’t seen them. Hope that helps.

Haha, your mate Dooley ay? Champion bloke! Baz is right about his info except the flatty are still in the upper half of the bay atm and will start moving down in numbers within the next few weeks!!

22 minutes ago, RippinLips270 said:

thanks guys ill be in a 490 renagade so might try broughton 

thanks for the info scratchie 

No worries! If you see me up there, feel free to come and say hi, but don’t drive up my drift! Haha ? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, austwave said:

Great work Scratchie, and a great post to go with it.

Thanks for the info.

Gotta head up that way to catch up with an old mate for a fish soon so am reading intently.

Cheers! If you have a mate that lives up here, there’s no better excuse to bring your boat up! 

1 minute ago, RippinLips270 said:

will do scratchie up you drift is that like a burley trail ive seen some of your snapper lol

Haha, not really, I never use bait. Only soft plastics! That way the fish are in front of the boat! 

P.s. quick tip, if your fishing soft plastics, never drive over the drift you intend to use as you spook the fish ?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Haha, not really, I never use bait. Only soft plastics! That way the fish are in front of the boat! 

P.s. quick tip, if your fishing soft plastics, never drive over the drift you intend to use as you spook the fish ?

I like to take the same approach if drifting with baits behind the boat, too.? Skirt around the intended drift route. When fishing the shallows, I like to sneak in on the electric motor, too. ?

• Like 1

Id rather have those pannies to take home then those huge big bump models you have taken home over winter scratchie!

The bigger fish might get the ? racing but those littlies are better eating imho.

Anytime you can just get out & feel tug on the line is a good day :biggrinthumb:

• Like 1