Northern Beaches Bottom Bash

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

After a successful bottom bash yesterday i headed out again today with two friends for another bottom bash along the northern beaches. 

Conditions were great with no wind and very little swell. At one point the lack of wind became problematic as we couldnt get a drift going.

Tried a bunch of reef systems between North head and long reef for another mixed bag. Tried a new spot which paid dividends. First drift scored a nice piggy, followed by a trevally and then a pannie.

Shortly after my rod buckles over and screams off. Before the fight could even begin the line snapped. I had forgotten to loosen off my drag setting after having tightened it up to get out from under a rock/reef slightly earlier. DEVASTED and kicking myself, i spent the next hour cursing under my breath. Oh well thats fishing.

Then, my mates rod buckles over and up comes a nice 51cm snaps....high fives all round and the smile says it all. His first ever legal red and a nice one at that. 

The highlight of the trip was when my mate threw a nice sized gurnard back into the drink because he thought it was...and i quote.. "one of those colorful wrasse that earlier Sam had said taste terrible"

Moved around and scored a few more flatties, another pannie, piggie and trev.

Split the fish two ways for the boys as i still had a few from yesterdays trip.

All in all great day out and that warmer water fishing startin to come on in Sydney.

Thx for reading 

Sam

Screenshot_20181001-175950.png

Screenshot_20181001-180026.png

• Like 7

Very nice Sam! Your making the most of that new boat! Isn’t it great to be able to take the family or friends out and bring home a feed! Your consistently getting a mixed bag, so that big snapper ain’t far away! Well done ? 

cheers scratchie!!! 

14 hours ago, The Rev said:

Some nice fish there - well done. .  What depth of water were you fishing?

cheers

The Rev

Thank Mate

We tried a whole variety of reefs/sandy bottoms from 70m line down to as shallow as 25m.

I usually start out in the deeper water and work my way closer to shore as the day goes on.

6 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Very nice Sam! Your making the most of that new boat! Isn’t it great to be able to take the family or friends out and bring home a feed! Your consistently getting a mixed bag, so that big snapper ain’t far away! Well done ? 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie

Absolutely loath seeing my boat parked in the driveway collecting dust !!! 

I admit taking out a crew and sending them home with a nice bag is very satisfying.

PS - the snapper spot that we tried is very very close to Bluefish, which you recommended I try a little while ago. So even from 200km away you know where to find the snapper better than us Sydney folk ?

1 hour ago, blairy69 said:

Hi Sam, I notice there is a Pigfish but whats the other Red fish it looks like it has the head of a smaller groper nut the colour is way different and its not a Pig fish

Hi Mate, I took it as a pig fish, the overall patterns teeth and colors looked the same, just the snout was not as elongated. I assumed the bigger models get fatter/blunter on the nose.

so.....no idea ! perhaps one of the resident experts can tell us.

3 hours ago, Caple666 said:

first legal snapper at 51cm.... gotta be cheering 

looks like it was a good day fellas

Was a great day on the water and yepp old mate was over the moon.

In april this year, one of my mates caught his first Mahi on my boat at 90cm which bested my PB from the 4 years prior !!!! 

Haha Sam! I’m actually a bit more travelled than Port Stephens! I can navigate  the entire Hawkesbury system without GPS and plenty other areas! Just not as experienced as Port! You need to travel up here for me to show you a few places and techniques that will help in your quests! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blairy69 said:

Hi Sam, I notice there is a Pigfish but whats the other Red fish it looks like it has the head of a smaller groper nut the colour is way different and its not a Pig fish

Looks like a Foxfish. Bodianus frenchii.

If you look closely I recon you can see the 2 White dots on its side. Certainly not to common around these parts.

Nice catch to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Haha Sam! I’m actually a bit more travelled than Port Stephens! I can navigate  the entire Hawkesbury system without GPS and plenty other areas! Just not as experienced as Port! You need to travel up here for me to show you a few places and techniques that will help in your quests! 

You are definitely a fountain of knowledge Jeff, and what a top bloke because your more than happy to share all that with others.

PS: I am certainly going to take you up on that generous offer this summer Scratchie.

42 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

If you look closely I recon you can see the 2 White dots on its side. Certainly not to common around these parts.

Nice catch to.

Thanks Blackfish ! well that's a new species I can tick off my list.... il have to ask my mate if they are good eating

49 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Nice catch to.

Your right..two white spots clear as day. More visible in this photo.

Screenshot_20181002-155142.png

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1

We went out on Monday with me in high spirits having watched the mighty Roostersvtakebout the NRL premiership. The good times continued as we had our best day’s fishing this year. Flathead were well and truly on the bite off Sydney Heads and further south. The reefs however were pretty quiet.

1 hour ago, cogo44 said:

We went out on Monday with me in high spirits having watched the mighty Roostersvtakebout the NRL premiership. The good times continued as we had our best day’s fishing this year. Flathead were well and truly on the bite off Sydney Heads and further south. The reefs however were pretty quiet.

Good to hear !! Wheres the report !

• Like 1