Bait

Bilo

Hi guys, I was just wondering what bait i should be using when im going for bream and flattys in the habour, particularly around watsons bay, parsley bay, rose bay and surrounding areas.

Thank you

• Like 1

Bream: use garlic chicken thigh strips about 20mm long 5mm wide. Flathead: Berkeley plastic worm in camo and half pilchards(tail end). That's if you're land based in those spots. In summer in the spots long 30mm by 10mm strips of squid with 1/0 hook work ace. I've been land based fishing those spots for over a year now with good results

2 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

For flathead you really need to cover ground to find them....id throw out a rod with bait in it then flick a soft plastic around

True with the fatties especially at rose bay. Even with bait don't be scared to flick it and let settle every few minutes. Keep bait fresh change every 20mins

Edited by FishermanSteve

Hi Jake,

I use pilchard tails and have caught a large variety of fish plus the rest makes excellent burly. You can fish them unweighted or with a sinker in many different rigs, unweighted covers the whole water column plus in a retrieve they can act like a lure. Key is to learn how to present them and tie a half hitch for security. 

SNAPPER

ADDICTED MEMBER

947 posts

Posted April 17, 2007

Stylo - the best way to rig the tail half of a cut pilchard is as follows:

1. push the point of the hook through the flesh just in front of the tail (i.e. where the flesh just begins on the body of the pillie)

2. pull the whole hook through the pillie so that the tail half is 'threaded' on the line just at the point where the tail meets the body.

3. stick the point of the hook into the cut made by the knife (when slicing the pillie in half) and pull the line tight.

4. tie a half-hitch around the tail and tighten to secure the bait.

Using this method I find that pillie talis stay on the hook better than the heads.

thank you, will give this all a shot, thanks guys.

13 hours ago, FishermanSteve said:

Bream: use garlic chicken thigh strips about 20mm long 5mm wide. Flathead: Berkeley plastic worm in camo and half pilchards(tail end). That's if you're land based in those spots. In summer in the spots long 30mm by 10mm strips of squid with 1/0 hook work ace. I've been land based fishing those spots for over a year now with good results

13 hours ago, blaxland said:

Hi Jake,

I use pilchard tails and have caught a large variety of fish plus the rest makes excellent burly. You can fish them unweighted or with a sinker in many different rigs, unweighted covers the whole water column plus in a retrieve they can act like a lure. Key is to learn how to present them and tie a half hitch for security. 

SNAPPER

ADDICTED MEMBER

947 posts

Posted April 17, 2007

Stylo - the best way to rig the tail half of a cut pilchard is as follows:

1. push the point of the hook through the flesh just in front of the tail (i.e. where the flesh just begins on the body of the pillie)

2. pull the whole hook through the pillie so that the tail half is 'threaded' on the line just at the point where the tail meets the body.

3. stick the point of the hook into the cut made by the knife (when slicing the pillie in half) and pull the line tight.

4. tie a half-hitch around the tail and tighten to secure the bait.

Using this method I find that pillie talis stay on the hook better than the heads.