Saltwater fly reels

Kracka

Gday raiders,

I've been looking at a few fly reels and centrepin reels to use on my blackfish and bream sessions around Sydney. Namely the Alvey 475CP - which I've been looking at for a while now to upgrade my 475B.

Then I stumbled across some pretty fancy looking fly reels by South Pacific which are similar in action to the alvey.

Has anyone had any experience with the SP brand of reels? And do they deal with wear and tear as well as the alveys do? Looking at spending up to $250 if anyone has other recommendations.

G'day mate I have one of those South Pacific 'pins and it's a nice reel. Only used it a few times and runs beautifully.  Don't go the fly reel way because they are 'single action' which means the ratchet is always on, for want of a better description and fly reels usually have one handle knob and a counterweight, 'pins have 2 handle knobs.  Nothing will last as long as an Alvey. Traditional centrepin reels are called 'trotting' reels in the UK and are always available on ebay. I bought a beautiful 'pin from the UK called an "Emperor Cypranius" which is the smoothest and lightest 'pin I've ever seen, all high quality aluminium body and s/steel parts. Cost me $110 (2nd hand but as new condition)including postage from UK. The traditional old Grice and Young Avons. Golden Eagles and Trudex's are still around but are expensive compared to some of the newer purpose made Blackie reels and were originally built for freshwater, however they last for years with good care. Not knocking Alvey's new alloy version but a bit pricey, but having said that, some of the Yank 'pins go for $500-$800 US! South Pacific should be under $170

Edited by wazatherfisherman
forgot price

Hey Waza.

As always a wealth of knowledge. Thank you. I'll steer clear of the fly reels. I saw the UK reels but always thought they were designed for freshwater and will be prone to rusting up quickly. Just checked out one on eBay the cyprinus monarch. Looks nice n not too dear.

Might try out a South Pacific n see how it goes. It's hard to make a decision when no tackle stores stock them. Can't get a physical feel of the reel.

Btw thanks so much for the info RE white rock. Took the Mrs and we both managed a few blackies on the last of the run out. Kept two - 42cm and the other, which was my Mrs first ever blackie went 40cm.

G'day again that's great re Blackies at the crack! Cheering you both got them! Fight well there eh! There should be some really big ones there now(nothing wrong with the ones you got!) but you have to get wet! No evil Surgeons on that tide. Glad you got some, it's a nice private spot with a great view.

The South Pacific is a bit heavier than the UK reels but only minimally and is well made. After the Alvey, you'll love the free spinning spool. You'll be happy with it and it'll last years with basic care