Where do you fish in the Hawkesbury?

Jew_Master06

Hi FishRaider Members,

Does any one fish the Hawkesbury River? If so I have been catching a couple of fish. Some flatties just under 40cm and some 35cm Bream. I was just wondering if anyone could share some of their tips on where they fish and what bait/lures they use. I would really like to catch a Jewfish or a Kingfish. I have a boat which can travel anywhere in the Hawkesbury. Any fishing tips would be most appreciated.

Happy Fishing,

Jew_Master06?

• Like 1

I cant comment on the Hawkesbury really, or kingfish for that matter, but I can comment on Mulloway.  I like to think of myself as a bit of a self taught expert with regards to mulloway haha.  

So much literature on Mulloway is out there mate, and I learnt by reading all that I could from magazines and forums just like this.  There is a "how to" specifically on mulloway on the fishraider site, start by reading this and putting it onto practise. 

Catching Mulloway on a regular basis is somewhat of a mean feat, the hours I have put in to them over the past 8 or so years I couldnt begin to divulge.  Add to that, the hours I put in just to catch bait to give me the best possible chance. 

Then you have those times, particularly when I began specifically and solely targeting them, the fishless, cold and soul destroying nights when you drop a fish, makes the times you net/boat them even better. 

Just the other night, I witnessed one swimming between a bridge pylon and my bait in the water for about an hour before it disappeared and I ended up with a donut.  But, from what I have learnt over they years, I did put myself in the right spot at the right time, so I dont really count this as a failure by any means. 

For the record, if i did land that fish, my tally would be 15 for the year (and I didnt fish at all in june, july, august or september).  So it averages out to be about 2 a month.  Considering how many people I see trying to catch mulloway vs actually catching them in the Georges river, I think im doing ok.

I AM a diehard fisherman for mulloway, that will never change now!! 

TIPS

1.  Dont give up on them after just one or two sessions or you wont have learnt anything.

2.  Keep a diary - might seem a bit silly, but trust me, if someone offered me 10 grand for my diaries I would never sell them.   Doesnt have to be a diary, I just use exercise books.  I record everything, what tide, the amount of water both run in and run out differences and the peaks, what the weather is like that outing, pressure, what the water is like and doing depending where I am, date, time etc etc.  I just write down anything really lol.

3.  Use the best bait you can!!!!  You may need to learn how to catch bait first, so learn that as well, worst case you end up with a bag full of squid you can eat, and yakkas do taste ok too.  I catch squid a few days out from when Im planning a jewie adventure, i wrap them indivually when I get home and freeze them.  I have caught mulloway on self caught squid that has been frozen for 8 months, but never servo/baitshop squid!!

Now for the little I can add about the Hawkesbury - never fished there ever for mulloway.  There are plenty of known spots so begin by hitting them up.  Looking at any map of the river, I always see two bridges, perhaps start there.  You should be aware of those bits of structure for any estuary fishing really.....there is loads of info on the hawkesbury and also you could get your hands on a map from AFN that will tell you places like flint and steel, juno point, coal and candles etc etc.

Hopefully some of this helps mate

Hope to see you post when you do catch your first mulloway

Mick

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jew_Master06 said:

Hi FishRaider Members,

Does any one fish the Hawkesbury River? If so I have been catching a couple of fish. Some flatties just under 40cm and some 35cm Bream. I was just wondering if anyone could share some of their tips on where they fish and what bait/lures they use. I would really like to catch a Jewfish or a Kingfish. I have a boat which can travel anywhere in the Hawkesbury. Any fishing tips would be most appreciated.

Happy Fishing,

Jew_Master06?

I am no expert but I am wanting to crack both jewies and the Hawkesbury in general.  If you want some company while you learn let me know.  I am based near Woy Woy, but can travel.  Happy to put the hours in at night.  I have a boat too so we can mix it up to share the cost.

I'm under the impression that Kings like slightly cleaner, saltier water.  And structure.  I think if you wanted Kings you would do well to put some time in to finding and marking structure in pittwater.  I have come across then in there, but not further in.  

Craig