What Alloy does Quintrex /Telwater use?

Sea Ranger

Hi All,

I've been looking at new boats from Quintrex  Especially the 510 Frontier and 490 Renegade.

I cannot find anywhere on Quintrex's site what alloy they use.   It just says Marine grade.    

Not sure I'm game on the new Apex hull but it was sure spacious when standing on it in the shop.

Bear 

2 hours ago, Noo2OzFish said:

Hi All,

I've been looking at new boats from Quintrex  Especially the 510 Frontier and 490 Renegade.

I cannot find anywhere on Quintrex's site what alloy they use.   It just says Marine grade.    

Not sure I'm game on the new Apex hull but it was sure spacious when standing on it in the shop.

Bear 

I wouldn't know mate.But quintrex(Telwater)have been making tubs for a little while now and I'd say they are using something thats suitable.lol.

Sounds like your over analyzing everything now you've been bitten.

My advice is look for a boat/brand you like , can afford and don't worry too much about trivial stuff like that too much as they've been around long enough to know what they are doing unless it won't let you sleep at night knowing.

Enjoy your search mate.

• Thanks 2

I agree with Fab i wouldnt worry about the type of aluminium being used..Quintrex have been making alloy boats for decades and their reputation is impeccable.

PS....what type of boating/fishing do you do?

If you go the apex hull u pretty much limit yourself to bays estuaries and rivers. That hull is not designed for outside conditions. If thats what you want then great.

The 490 renegade is a good alrounder....i fished with a 460 renegade for 4 years and at that size i got out as far as the FADs....not to start a debate about going out wide in little boats...my point is the renegade is a good alrounder for inside and outside conditions when the conditions are right

Edited by GoingFishing

8 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

PS....what type of boating/fishing do you do?

I and my adult son(s) fish for Flathead, Bream, Squid, and want to start chasing Kingfish and Snapper around Sydney.

We also like to drop our crab pots. Pittwater

We had a 520 Haines Hunter so I'm coming from a glass boat (sold to a new owner)  Any tinnie is going to be different lol

I've been shopping around for something under $50k that would suit up to 4 blokes but 90% of the time only 2

The reason I asked this question is that I like the idea of no wood in the boat.  No floors to rot etc.  All the offshore model$ that I have looked at besides being expensive also claim that they use Hi tensile alloy (5083 I think) in the hull which is by salesman speak heaps stronger than Quintrex alloy.   The same place stated Quintrex make thin hulls which we have discussed before but it does make some sense to me.  A 4mm bottom  has got to be better than 2mm.  When we are only talking a few thousand dollars different I was curious if the claims were true and if so what benfits one might expect.  The Quintrex dealer states the Apex Frontier is replacing the top ender series and works better in light offshore conditions than the Top Ender's it is replacing.   The frontier has a 4mm bottom and 3mm sides.   Similar to the other boat I was looking at.  The Frontier has ply floors but sure has a bit of space when standing in it.  I'm sure any of these boats will do fine however I'm interested in getting the best bang for my buck!

I looked at the Renegades and most do not have a splash well.  I did find one (a 490)with a splash well and in center console which I like but costs the same as the frontier which is 510 and has heaps more room.  The dealer states the Frontier is a much better boat in the rough stuff.

Bear

Edited by Noo2OzFish

I and my adult son(s) fish for Flathead, Bream, Squid, and want to start chasing Kingfish and Snapper around Sydney.

We had a 520 Haines Hunter so I'm coming from a glass boat (sold to a new owner)  Any tinnie is going to be different lol

I've been shopping around for something under $50k that would suit up to 4 blokes but 90% of the time only 2

The reason I asked this question is that I like the idea of no wood in the boat.  No floors to rot etc.  All the offshore model$ that I have looked at besides being expensive also claim that they use Hi tensile alloy (5083 I think) in the hull which is by salesman speak heaps stronger than Quintrex alloy.   The same place stated Quintrex make thin hulls which we have discussed before but it does make some sense to me.  A 4mm bottom  has got to be better than 2mm.  When we are only talking a few thousand dollars different I was curious if the claims were true and if so what benfits one might expect.  The Quintrex dealer states the Apex Frontier is replacing the top ender series and works better in light offshore conditions than the Top Ender's it is replacing.   The frontier has a 4mm bottom and 3mm sides.   Similar to the other boat I was looking at.  The Frontier has ply floors but sure has a bit of space when standing in it.  I'm sure any of these boats will do fine however I'm interested in getting the best bang for my buck!

I looked at the Renegades and most do not have a splash well.  I did find one (a 490)with a splash well and in center console which I like but costs the same as the frontier which is 510 and has heaps more room.  The dealer states the Frontier is a much better boat in the rough stuff.

Bear

I agree you will find aluminium hulls much softer on the pocket in terms of maintenance.

FYI - Quintrex offshore models such as the Trident and the Yellowfin use Plate Aluminium (5083). I assume Quintrex don't use plate alloy on the smaller models because its just unnecessary and cost prohibitive.

Which dealer are you talking to? I really cant see a flat wide beam like the frontier as any sort of comfortable ride offshore, even in mild offshore conditions let alone "rough stuff". Just watch any of the videos online and you will notice the apex hull is only featured in flat(ish) water.

From the type of boating/fishing you have described, from the Quintrex range I would recommend you look at the topender or renegades.

Also, Formosa have offshore plate boat options that might fit within your budget.

Edited by GoingFishing

Bear

Hi mate,you didn't mention anything about hull thickness in your original post,you asked what type of ally Quintrex uses.The thicker the alloy the more ridgid the structure it's used on will be along with it being heavier, dearer etc.

As for not wanting timber in an alloy boat good luck with that as most,if not all will come with a crappy almost packing crate grade ply floor and if your lucky as you are looking at Quintrex will come with the added bonus of having a rusty tape measure and host of rusty fasteners under the said floor straight off the factory floor like mine did.

Quintrex's QC is that great.

Some of the Benefits of a thicker hull say debating between 2mm and 4mm is the added weight will handle rougher conditions better,be more resistant to flexing,denting, scrapes etc.

The cons are the boat is heavier(Towing),will require more hp,is dearer etc.

Whatever Alloy boat you buy don't expect it to perform as good as a glass one especially in the rough stuff and especially a Haines or you will be disappointed.

In all seriousness for light offshore use venturing out the heads etc, buying a boat with a hull bordering on being a plate boat is overkill if I was buying and the extra money I'd need to spend would work better for me in the bank.

But it's not my boat or money so the sole decision lies with you and if you have the money and desire,buy the Queen Mary if that's what you want.

Here's a link about Ally you might find interesting.https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.australwright.com.au/aluminium-alloy-5083/&ved=2ahUKEwiurMLKwvXdAhWPad4KHbelA-EQFjACegQICxAO&usg=AOvVaw0kv9ndLNoQZZ6O333Xe6Df

Good luck with the hunt mate.

All the talk of offshore is fine, but from the reading 90% of your fishing will be done in bays, harbour and estuaries and if you venture offshore it wont be on bad days.

I have the 4mm bottom and 2.5mm sides on mine (Stacer 539) and its great for pulling up at beaches in the Hawkesbury.

Mine is pretty stable at rest but being alloy a lot bumpier than a F/Glass, but I just throttle back a bit.

I can carry 7 but for fishing 3 is good and 4 only if 3 know how to fish and not get tangles.

37 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

All the talk of offshore is fine, but from the reading 90% of your fishing will be done in bays, harbour and estuaries and if you venture offshore it wont be on bad days.

Mate I would say 97%  

I do not have the experience to venture offshore..  Truly offshore.    I do however want to chase Snapper and maybe Dollies.

Bear

Bear, I reckon get a second hand renegade 460 or 490 and put the money you save towards a good bow mount electric motor, makes life so much easier. Or have a look at the TABS 5100 above that looks like a great boat too.  Don't get hung up on the motor well, the back of the boat rides up and down with the swell and you'll probably only take it offshore on a safe calm day.

Edited by mob0103
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Hi mate,you didn't mention anything about hull thickness in your original post,you asked what type of ally Quintrex uses.The thicker the alloy the more ridgid the structure it's used on will be along with it being heavier, dearer etc.

A

Some of the Benefits of a thicker hull say debating between 2mm and 4mm is the added weight will handle rougher conditions better,be more resistant to flexing,denting, scrapes etc.

Thanks for the reply Fab..  My old tinnie (no idea of the make as it was pre HIN numbers which might have been part of the problem) used to dent everytime I touched the dock.   It would dent when touching sand lol.  I want something a little more robust.  Especially if I am buying new(ish).  I don't need plate I'm sure but 3 to 4mm sounds fair.  I don't mind the towing weight it will be less than my caravan by far.  More weight equals better ride and though I don't expect Haines Hunter type of ride I want something better than al foil.  I was talking to a Formosa dealer who stated their alloy was heaps better than that used by Quintrex.  I could see the high tensile Alloy used in the Formosa offshore models but not their classic models.   I cannot afford the Offshore model,, shame as it was nice.  However I was curious what Quintrex used as their new Apex Hulls have 4mm bottom and 3mm sides which sounds robust enough for me it was just the Formosa felt more solid.   I have since seen the same alloy used in other makes as well like Mclay, Surtees, and Senator.  Hence my question as to what Quintrex uses.

Bear

Edited by Noo2OzFish
fixed stuff

41 minutes ago, mob0103 said:

Bear, I reckon get a second hand renegade 460 or 490 and put the money you save towards a good bow mount electric motor, makes life so much easier. Or have a look at the TABS 5100 above that looks like a great boat too.  Don't get hung up on the motor well, the back of the boat rides up and down with the swell and you'll probably only take it offshore on a safe calm day.

Hi Mob   

Yeah mate I agree.  However my Mrs keeps pointing out the problems I have had in the past buying used.  If I could find a truly decent used boat that the motor isn't stuffed or soon to be stuffed like my last one I'd seriously consider it.   I will be paying back the bank for this boat and can't afford 2 years from now buying yet another motor.  I think my wife at that point would put an end to my fishing boat dream. ?

Bear

29 minutes ago, Noo2OzFish said:

Hi Mob   

Yeah mate I agree.  However my Mrs keeps pointing out the problems I have had in the past buying used.  If I could find a truly decent used boat that the motor isn't stuffed or soon to be stuffed like my last one I'd seriously consider it.   I will be paying back the bank for this boat and can't afford 2 years from now buying yet another motor.  I think my wife at that point would put an end to my fishing boat dream. ?

Bear

That's a very good point ?

I was talking to a Formosa dealer who stated their alloy was heaps better than that used by Quintrex.  I could see the high tensile Alloy used in the Formosa offshore models but not their classic models.

Take what those idiots tell you with a grain of salt mate as they will tell you anything if your gullible enough to believe it.Formosa will say their the best,Quinny will say the same,etc,etc.Car dealers are the same.

I hear being able to tell the difference between high tensile and standard alloy just by looking at is a great skill to have.?

Those old tinnys are usually built like tanks,better than the new ones.Yours must have been a foreign edition built from rice paper.

Your Mrs does have a point.Although plenty of used boats have exchanged hands without issue there's a good reason people say when buying used you buy other people's problems.

You know who else makes a sturdy hull that may be of interest to go and have a look at?Anglapro in the shire.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I hear being able to tell the difference between high tensile and standard alloy just by looking at is a great skill to have.

I have worked with marine grade 5083 4mm plate -- I have welded two 50L buoyancy tanks that I bolted under my boats marlin platform - effectively extending the factory pod. I wanted hi-tensile alloy as I was relying on one face (the bolting face) to carry the load and did not want any flex that would deform over time.

5083 is stiff and brittle - it cannot be pressed or bent into shape - it will crack - if not immediately, then over time due to the stress.

So  quick way to tell - if the boat has flat plates that are cut and welded  in a way to give the hull "curves" -  it is probably made of hi-tensile plate.

If the boat has curves that are clearly bent - "pressed" -  then chances are that is it standard marine alloy. 

Cheers

Zoran

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

I have worked with marine grade 5083 4mm plate -- I have welded two 50L buoyancy tanks that I bolted under my boats marlin platform - effectively extending the factory pod. I wanted hi-tensile alloy as I was relying on one face (the bolting face) to carry the load and did not want any flex that would deform over time.

5083 is stiff and brittle - it cannot be pressed or bent into shape - it will crack - if not immediately, then over time due to the stress.

So  quick way to tell - if the boat has flat plates that are cut and welded  in a way to give the hull "curves" -  it is probably made of hi-tensile plate.

If the boat has curves that are clearly bent - "pressed" -  then chances are that is it standard marine alloy. 

Cheers

Zoran

Couldn't agree more mate.

7 hours ago, Noo2OzFish said:

However my Mrs keeps pointing out the problems I have had in the past buying used.  If I could find a truly decent used boat that the motor isn't stuffed or soon to be stuffed like my last one I'd seriously consider it

I wouldn’t discount a good 2nd hand boat. Not sure what issues you’ve had in the past - but how old/many hours was on the 2nd hand ones you bought?

Stick to low age/hours and get a mechanic to do a *pre inspection and you’ll save some coin. I hunted around for 6 months before I bought mine - had 13 hours on it and paid 60% new cost. I haven’t had a single issue yet (now 250 hours in). I know people who have had more drama with buying new. I get buying new, but with homework, looking in the right places (sub 30 hour renegades pop up every month) and with some patience you can save a bit of money if it’s tight. 

Also - if you haven’t done so, spend some time in a tinny before you comment, big difference compared to glass, make sure youll be happy.

* I didn’t get a pre inspection done with mine. When I was looking,  The marine mechanic was booked out for 3 weeks so I said I’ll wait for that, or drop another 1k and I’ll get today. Had a service done 3 weeks later, mechanic said this is the newest second hand boat he’s seen. 

9 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Cheers

Zoran

Hi Zoran,

Thanks again to you and everyone else for their input.

My comment came from the Formosa offshore model I looked at.  The hull had the manufacturers stamp all over it (unpainted bottom) showing it was 5083.  That is how I saw it.   They must not be pressed then

Bear

9 hours ago, raging said:

I wouldn’t discount a good 2nd hand boat. Not sure what issues you’ve had in the past - but how old/many hours was on the 2nd hand ones you bought?

Also - if you haven’t done so, spend some time in a tinny before you comment, big difference compared to glass, make sure youll be happy.

Both my used boats were more than 20 years old with high hours or unknown hours as no meter.  One had a dodgy hull that had been bogged up and then painted and the other had a dodgy motor which dropped pressure in a cylinder soon after buying.

I fished out of a 475 Quintrex bay  hunter for 5 years.   You are right the glass boat was night and day.   Finding a decent glass boat used is a minefield and new is simply out of the question money wise.  

Bear

People get obsessed with motor hours but a well maintained motor that has been used is a better buy than a low hour motor that hardley gets used, gaskets etc dry out, impellers crack, fuel gum builds up etc. The hull is the most important part, all boats eventually need repowers but these days 10000 hrs is not unreasonable on a 4 strokemotor. One guide i know ran Suzi's for 140000 hours and barely serviced them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Off topic you should have repowered your other boat if u liked it

I did like it but:::

I added up the costs to do what I want and the costs were getting close to buying something new.  New and shiny ?