Dpi Gets Its Claws Into Lake Macquarie Crab Trap Offenders

Ken A

Six illegal crab traps have been seized from Lake Macquarie in a two day operation that has seen Department of Primary Industries (DPI) officers lift set fishing gear in a bid to detect and deter the use of illegal traps.

The patrols come after the death of two turtles which were caught in illegal crab traps in the lake over the past week.

NSW DPI Fisheries Compliance Manager, Glenn Tritton, says the use of crab traps is completely banned in Lake Macquarie all year round.

‘Visitors and residents are reminded that there is a total trap ban for all waters of Lake Macquarie, including all tributaries and creeks flowing into the lake.

‘So far this year officers have seized 46 illegal traps from the lake, these seizures were the result of continued vigilance of fisheries officers and tip offs from the public.

‘I would continue to encourage people to contact us should they observe the use of these traps in the lake or any other illegal fishing activity,’ Mr Tritton said.

Lake Macquarie is a popular fishing spot for both locals and visitors and it’s important that everyone follows the rules. I would particularly like to encourage those from out of town to check the specific rules of the area by calling 02 4971 1201.’

Full details of bag and size limits and NSW fishing guidelines are all available in the new 2005-2006 NSW Recreational Saltwater Fishing Guide.

The patrols come after the death of two turtles which were caught in illegal crab traps in the lake over the past week

G'day, I read in the post newspaper this week that residents found the dead turtles on the shore and assumed that they were dumped from illegal traps at wangi headland and valentine?. It sounded a bit presumptious when reading.

Cheers Neil

Edited by Neilium

• 1 month later...

The operation has done nothing to deter anyone from using traps.

I went out on the lake yesterday for about two hours and saw in excess of 60 traps. This was only in the Southern part of the lake around Mannering Park, Summerland Point, and the Balcolyn area. I can only imagine how many in total there would be in the whole lake - hundreds at least.

I reckon I saw at least 4 boats putting out traps too.

I would say the majority of these people would have no idea that this is illegal either, and they may not even be from this area.

Fisheries need to do much more than pulling the odd trap if they are serious. There is no signage anywhere that ive seen ( at the ramps i use ) advising locals or tourists of any rules or regulations. Its unfair to expect people to not use traps if they dont tell anyone other than the odd newspaper artical which tourists dont see, and by listing it on the Fisheries site.

Ive got nothing against putting a trap down, but the law is the law and it says it can't be done in Lake Mac.

I blame Fisheries for not doing enough to educate people on their policies. I have contacted them and told them of the many traps in the Lake but also reminded them that there was so many that surely they must have been aware and perhaps they need to do more. If they were not aware well shame on them. If we want to support a sustainable fishery we must follow the catch and bag limits. Not doing this just adds fuel to the ever building exteme Greenies fire againts rec fisho's, who they already think have no respect.

Sorry if anyone thinks im being a knob by ringing them, but its this lack of education which spawns the same dramas as keeping undersize fish. People need to be educated.

How hard is it to put a few signs up !

Just to clarify it for myself and I am sure for plenty of other readers/participants.........

Is a witches hat considered a trap? I would assume that a muddy cage is considered a trap.

Thats exactly what is being spoken about

Cheers Swordfisherman

I have been putting in Witches hats for about 3 years and had no idea that I was doing anything illegal.

I would like some more info if anyone has any.

I was under the impression that this Lake was ok and it was only Brisbane Water that was banned.

I put my name and boat rego and carry the max 5 per person.

Regards

:1fishing1:

I have been putting in Witches hats for about 3 years and had no idea that I was doing anything illegal.

I would like some more info if anyone has any.

I was under the impression that this Lake was ok and it was only Brisbane Water that was banned.

I put my name and boat rego and carry the max 5 per person.

Regards

:1fishing1:

GDay Bob,

Mate im not suprised you were not aware, no one really is. Thats the problem, they just dont do enough to educate.

To be honest I really dont see why crab pots are banned, other than some claims that they may endanger other protected species.

Anyway heres the link to the fisheries law.

Lake Mac

Just to clarify it for myself and I am sure for plenty of other readers/participants.........

Is a witches hat considered a trap? I would assume that a muddy cage is considered a trap.

As far as we have been told and read in the regulations witches hats are ok, either four or five per person (not sure which) with name and address on the net and the float. Traps are not allowed meaning the box like traps with slits either end and also lift nets are not allowed. You can read the regulations for Lake Mac on www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au

As far as we have been told and read in the regulations witches hats are ok, either four or five per person (not sure which) with name and address on the net and the float. Traps are not allowed meaning the box like traps with slits either end and also lift nets are not allowed. You can read the regulations for Lake Mac on www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au

This is how it is worded and it says all types of traps of which WITCHES HATS are Hoop Nets

Schedule 1

Trapping

Column 1

Methods

Column 2

Waters

By means of "traps of every description", except bait traps as prescribed by Regulation.

The whole of the waters of Lake Macquarie, together with its creeks, inlets, bays, lakes and lagoons.

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/recreation...water/crab_nets This link will show you what is a witches hat or hoop net

Cheers Swordfisherman

Edited by Guest

Ok here we go. The Swannsae fisheries office just returned my call and query from the other day.

I had left a message querying the traps around the lake and also whether or not 'witches hats' were considered a 'trap' and whether they could be used.

He said that this question is very common, as the Fishereis website is a bit confusing stating the wording 'traps of every description' is a bit misleading.

The good news is witches hats are NOT considered a trap (although in theory they do in fact 'trap' the crab)and the normal regulations apply of 5 per person with all the details on the float. They cannot however be left unnattended overnight.

Of course getting them to put up some signs is all too hard.

Still, 3 of the boats I saw a few days ago were dropping actual traps resembling a steel cage in an area where there were another 30 or so identical floats, which they will look into.

I still feel that its all too confusing for the average rec fisho and holiday maker, and clearer regulations are needed.

Edited by Grantm

If they say the question about witches hats is very common surely they must see it needs to be clarified.

I have always thought of witches hats as "crab nets" & the steel mesh traps as crab traps.

Some clarification on their behalf would benefit everyone.

This is how it is worded and it says all types of traps of which WITCHES HATS are Hoop Nets

Schedule 1

Trapping

Column 1

Methods

Column 2

Waters

By means of "traps of every description", except bait traps as prescribed by Regulation.

The whole of the waters of Lake Macquarie, together with its creeks, inlets, bays, lakes and lagoons.

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/recreation...water/crab_nets This link will show you what is a witches hat or hoop net

Cheers Swordfisherman

We phoned fisheries and they told us the witches hats were ok some weeks ago.

We phoned fisheries and they told us the witches hats were ok some weeks ago.

Guess it depends who you talk to sometimes. I always find it safest to abide by written legislation, rules, regs or guidelines as it is usually quite clear and prescriptive (except when you deal with healthcare legislation as I do lol). Some very interesting links from all here and its still confusing :074:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

You said it Diane,

You've had to ring Fisheries for clarification, ive rung Fisheries, everyone shouldnt have to do that.

Thats one of the reasons i posted on this thread, at least we all now know what the deal is. :biggrin2:

Do you think more should be done, or is it clear enough ?

No one seems to have an opinion on the education part or Fisheries role in this. (except Ken )

You said it Diane,

You've had to ring Fisheries for clarification, ive rung Fisheries, everyone shouldnt have to do that.

Thats one of the reasons i posted on this thread, at least we all now know what the deal is. :biggrin2:

Do you think more should be done, or is it clear enough ?

No one seems to have an opinion on the education part or Fisheries role in this. (except Ken )

Good for you Grant! Contacting the Department to let them know of your concerns and ideas for education is a good one. I would have thought that education of the general public on issues would be included in the Department services. Prior to amalgamating the 4 industries (2004) was it any better? Some plain English pamphlets instead of "legalese" regs would help us average rec fisho people and yes some signs for sure.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

All FISHRAIDERS and guests,

To seek clarification on the traps issue, I too contacted the Fisheries Department. I spoke with Mr Bryan van der Walt who is the Senior Manager of Recreational Fisheries. He was very helpful and sent me an email to post here on the site in an effort to clear up the confusion. The email is as follows:

Hi Stewart

Thank you for your call regarding the use of crab nets and traps in Lake

Macquarie.

Five hoop or lift nets (also known as witches hats) per person are permitted in

Lake Macquarie except for some small tributaries. Hoop nets are defined as nets

with no more than 2 hoops or rings that are not attached to each other by means

of a rigid frame. The hoop net must be dropped and raised vertically through the

water by hand.

Crab traps are not permitted in the whole of Lake Macquarie. Crab traps usually

have a rigid frame covered with meshing material with up to 4 entrances.

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Bryan van der Walt

Senior Manager-Recreational Fisheries

NSW Department of Primary Industries

PO Box 21

Cronulla

NSW 2230

Tel: 9527 8522

Facsimile: 9527 8536

Bryan is happy to assist with any further enquiries regarding this or any other issue.

Cheers Swordfisherman

Nice one Swordy, :thumbup:

Now we just need to get them to tell the rest of the world :wacko:

Thanks Grant ,but I take this as a good way to resolve things .Diane and yourself already had the ball rolling and I just wanted it in writing for all to see :thumbup: Hopefully after my discussion with Bryan, The powers that be will make it easier for all of us to read the rules and understand them .Most of the regulations are hard core as to leave no loopholes in case the lawbreaker has to go to court and be prosecuted ,but for us lamen its all a bit of a merry go round :thumbdown:

Cheers Swordfisherman