Port Stephens- raider meet

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

After a few texts back and forth for a while with @quintrex52 (Jeremy) today was the day we finally got it together and managed to get out to Broughton Island. 

Left little beach at 5am and hit the sisters for the first spot. First drift a couple of touch’s but no solid hook ups, so I reset the drift and not long after I came up tight to nice 55cm snaps. After a little tuition for Jeremy he was in the swing of things but no takers. I was hoping I could get him onto something in the first area but it wasn’t to be! The lack of wind wasn’t helping our cause neither was the calm ocean and lack of current but we persisted. We moved areas and begin another drift. I scored a just legal and then another that both went back. Reset the drift a little wider, found some bait and boom........ Jeremy is onto a good fish, a few words of encouragement (and don’t touch that drag) and the reel was singing! After a good tussle we see some colour and into the net it goes! A good fish going 65cm. Hi 5’s all round and another added to the esky! Well done champ, you played it well. A pb at 65cm on soft plastics at your first attempt is an awesome effort! 

After that,  conditions got calmer and the fishing quieter so after some whale demonstrations it was time to head home! 

Thanks for the day mate, it was nice to meet you and I’m glad you met your goal  

cheers scratchie!!! 4C2CA808-8110-4912-BBE9-B68009689147.thumb.jpeg.ae33a1f921c20f3ddf4c62ddc8546754.jpeg127838AA-6346-496B-8930-4A04483BE4C6.thumb.png.f4d77c975a0528ae204addc85f0a3a41.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, quintrex52 said:

Great day out mate, we’ll have to do it again

theres always more room for more drag lmao ( excitement got the better of me haha)

top bloke ,great teacher can’t wait to do it again

im hooked!

Haha, very addictive way of fishing! Little bycatch, hit target boom ? 

We’ll do it again for sure! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...awesome fellas

Thanks

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Great stuff guys ... congrats. 

These reports of  Port Stephens snaps keep reminding me:  I just have to get up there one day ... (I actually have it as an entry in my bucket list !)

Cheers

Zoran

Thanks! There’s a year round snapper fishery up here, so anytimes a good time! 

1 hour ago, Koalaboi said:

Well done. Great fish and a wonderful memory that will stay with you forever.

Good on ya Scratchie for helping make it happen.

KB

Cheers KB. I enjoy seeing people catch good fish just as much as I enjoy catching them! 

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff, guys!

Cheers Baz! 

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work again there Scratchie, couple of nice reddies.

Cheers yowie! 

11 hours ago, J0nn0 said:

Well done lads

Thanks

7 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Great work as always fellas.

Must have been satisfying putting a raider onto his PB.

Cheers Sam! Great to see anyone get a pb but even better a raider! 

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Good stuff jeff  was jopin to get up on the wknd but weather doesnt look good

Yeah rick, weather looking crap for the next week! Of course I’ve got the week off too! ?

26 minutes ago, Ribs said:

All hail King Scratchie, u the man bro, I know u love sharing knowledge and your time , great Raider spirit !

killing it on the snaps , well done ??

Thanks bro! Yes I’m happy to share info and time when I get the chance! As I say “I always need an excuse to go fishing”. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 2:07 PM, Scratchie said:

G’day raiders, 

After a few texts back and forth for a while with @quintrex52 (Jeremy) today was the day we finally got it together and managed to get out to Broughton Island. 

Left little beach at 5am and hit the sisters for the first spot. First drift a couple of touch’s but no solid hook ups, so I reset the drift and not long after I came up tight to nice 55cm snaps. After a little tuition for Jeremy he was in the swing of things but no takers. I was hoping I could get him onto something in the first area but it wasn’t to be! The lack of wind wasn’t helping our cause neither was the calm ocean and lack of current but we persisted. We moved areas and begin another drift. I scored a just legal and then another that both went back. Reset the drift a little wider, found some bait and boom........ Jeremy is onto a good fish, a few words of encouragement (and don’t touch that drag) and the reel was singing! After a good tussle we see some colour and into the net it goes! A good fish going 65cm. Hi 5’s all round and another added to the esky! Well done champ, you played it well. A pb at 65cm on soft plastics at your first attempt is an awesome effort! 

After that,  conditions got calmer and the fishing quieter so after some whale demonstrations it was time to head home! 

Thanks for the day mate, it was nice to meet you and I’m glad you met your goal  

cheers scratchie!!! 4C2CA808-8110-4912-BBE9-B68009689147.thumb.jpeg.ae33a1f921c20f3ddf4c62ddc8546754.jpeg127838AA-6346-496B-8930-4A04483BE4C6.thumb.png.f4d77c975a0528ae204addc85f0a3a41.png

Mate If I were to tow my boat up for a two or three day stay mid week where would you recommend I stay something cheap and close to the ramp ( thinking nelson bay area)

1 hour ago, blaxland said:

Mate If I were to tow my boat up for a two or three day stay mid week where would you recommend I stay something cheap and close to the ramp ( thinking nelson bay area)

Halifax caravan park! It’s right at the ramp! 

• Thanks 1

Hi Scratchie,I swam in at Little Beach and was taken by the outgoing tide around to Shoal Bay,wearing only a mask and swimmers.Agreat drift seeing lots of marine and benthic life,tho a bit fast.Was later told of shark danger,didnt see any.What do you think ,as alocal?

14 hours ago, wizza said:

Hi Scratchie,I swam in at Little Beach and was taken by the outgoing tide around to Shoal Bay,wearing only a mask and swimmers.Agreat drift seeing lots of marine and benthic life,tho a bit fast.Was later told of shark danger,didnt see any.What do you think ,as alocal?

Well, considering the amount of people that swim in the area of Port Stephens daily, multiply that by ten years and only one shark biting! Your odds of enjoying your swim are pretty good! ?

Thanks for comments .Kingie Chaser was that the young lady falling off her skis?Scratchie,sounds good to me. Have had other similar swims in various places like Narooma ingoing tide Inlet,clear water lots of rays and fishlife,First Beach Seal rocks to Fishermans beach,many fish and baitfish.Clovelly to Gordons  Bay,Gordons bay to Coogee Beach, all good aquatic adventures.Only saw sharks in earlier years of speared fish on towed lines.

14 hours ago, wizza said:

Thanks for comments .Kingie Chaser was that the young lady falling off her skis?

Yes that's the one, I remember it well because I was there in my tinny only the day before & there were massive schools of slimmies & the resident dolphins feeding on that side & another massive school of garfish on the southern shoal bay side, the water was like glass with not even a ripple on top.

I know what scratchie ie saying, the chances of being attacked are slim but the area has been well documented with whites in the area, one picture in the Sunday telegraph still comes to mind with a great white swimming only 20/30 mtrs off Hawke's nest beach, on boxing day I think it was some years ago.

Besides that pretty much any waterway would have Bull's as well which are even more a worry.

Call me paranoid but ever since I was 7 years old(43 years ago) & I had to leave the old soldiers point community hall theatre to be sick on the front steps because my father thought it was a good idea to take me to see Jaws I haven't spent to many occasions swimming in the salt ?

Then he expected me to go fishing in the bay with him the next day in our 13ft tinny...…………………………….which didn't happen ?

True story though!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1