MerryFisher

Solas prop

I think there are still Solas distributors in Sydney, one in Mona Vale not far from me.  As to motor height I can rule that out as there's no cavitation even on hard turns with the motor trimmed correctly. 

When you talk about the effect of turns on your prop you are probably thinking about ventilation- sucking in air into the prop. That is different to cavitation. Prop cavitation occurs when very low pressure is created at the front of the prop blades - where water enters the blades. This low pressure makes gas bubbles “boil” out of the water reducing grip and thrust. Some reasons cavitation can occur are if the prop blade angle is to sharp for the revs (overpitched) or if the motor is mounted  too high and not getting enough water flow to the front of the prop. 

Ventilation and cavitation are often confused but they are two different phenomena- both damaging. 

https://uk.boats.com/how-to/propeller-cavitation-propeller-ventilation/

Cheers Zoran 

On 10/13/2018 at 10:41 PM, MerryFisher said:

I think there are still Solas distributors in Sydney, one in Mona Vale not far from me.  As to motor height I can rule that out as there's no cavitation even on hard turns with the motor trimmed correctly. 

as i said though mate still get the height checks if the motor if its to low it will cause dramas as well, believe me i had a problem with mine just like this, motor was way to low and i the prop was wrong, fixed both issues and it sorted my problems out a lot