Bf20 Outboard mounting

Mattyau

Hi There

First time poster, anyhow this may be a stupid question but i seem to be having problems mounting my outboard the carrying handle will not fold all the way down and with this not folded down i can not tilt the motor to its highest tilt position. now im hoping someone with the same motor has encountered this or if i should remove the handle cut the slots it the handle so it folds down. i dunno i dont really wanna be angle grinding the handle of a  new motor. pics attached any input would be appreciated 

20181011_181431.jpg

Hi Mattyau... everyone has a first post - welcome. No question is stupid in my books. 

I don't have a bf20, but many Radiers on the forum are handy with mechanical stuff.

I can only see one picture which is front on, so its hard to tell if the carry handle is resting on the carpeted seat or on the aluminium stern brace.

Can you take a side shot please and post that?

Also, another shot with the motor tilted so that we can see where its being impinged by the handle  and by how much?

Cheers

Zoran

PS - with motors that are mounted to teh stern with only paddle clamps I would recommend you have a safety lanyard that is attached to your motor and hull. Vibration can work the paddle clamps loose.

• Thanks 1

Hi Zoran

Its hitting the carpet at the moment if i remove the wood it will also end up hitting the stern brace

its getting impinged by the handle when i try to tilt the motor higher that the max i can tilt it up

its meant to sit flush like this other pic i attached

thanks for the tip i plan on tieing it to the stern brace 

20181011_181422.jpg

honda-bf20-02.jpg

Ok that makes it much clearer.  If the carry handle is the only thing stopping the motor reaching full tilt, and if the motor will basically be permanently mounted, it may be quite simple to dismantle and remove the carry handle. Have you had a google for the service or assembly manual. Or google spare parts for your yr/model motor and there should be an exploded view of the handle assembly.

(The carry handle is there for convenience when the motor is moved around frequently - such as with tenders - but if its a permanent mount you will not need it).

Cheers 

Z

yeah its what im thinking i will end up having to do its only 1 bolt but that bolt is holding the weight of everything so id need to take the motor off the boat or get someone to hold it up while i remove it but laying it down shouldnt be a problem motor still hasnt had oil in it. wonder if remove that thing if it effects warranty. dealer likely charge me abit to take it off ? 

Suggest you talk to the dealer - I can't see how it would effect warranty. It's there to help carry the motor if its frequently moved - sounds like you will have it permanently mounted.

I did a quick google... not sure if  BF20-D3 is your specific model... but here is the exploded parts view.  If it was me, I'd remove part 16 (handle), and replace it with a stainless tube same width as the handle to act as a spacer. I'd use that as a an attachment for the safety lanyard! 

Cheers

Zoran

image.png.b080252d37320a35803ae1fa440a4e07.png

https://www.hondaoutboardbits.com.au/honda-parts/

Hi raiders

A update for anyone who was following, i have called a few dealers one told me i would lose warranty the others have told me i shouldn't loose it. i have taken off a hatch in the mean time it has allowed me to at lest put a outboard support still needs abit to tilt higher but where id would like to bolt the motor in it would of conflicted with the hatch so it may remain off. if i was to get a guy to come out and take it off likely be around 150 if i take it there one said he would likly be able to take the handle off for free i need to go to a dealership at some point anyhow to get the oil and buy the installation kit which i find is really over priced like $134 for 4 bolts 4 nuts 8 washers. anyhow this leads to my next few questions as i have not much experience setting up boats ext this happens to be my first one. i got a few pics ill attached if you could tell me if the transducer appears to be at the correct height and if the outboard support looks like it should the motor sort of looks trimmed correctly the boat is on abit of a tilt in the photos . i put new carpet on the boat and installed the fish finder the other week. it works but havnt really tested it while the boat is planing as this seems to be where issues start happening if its setup wrong like i said i have very little idea in regards to this stuff. im pretty good on tools as i do a trade for work but this is a different to electrical work. 

the last image is of how it sits when the outboard support is connected basically all the weight is on the trailer so im assuming its doing its job

20181012_162253.jpg

20181012_162103.jpg

20181012_161950.jpg

20181012_162305.jpg

53 minutes ago, Mattyau said:

A update for anyone who was following, i have called a few dealers one told me i would lose warranty the others have told me i shouldn't loose it.

Hi Mattyau,  I know you are talking to dealers, but ultimately it is a factory warranty.  I suggest you send an email to Honda (usually the technical department) explaining your specific problem and that in your case the handle is really not required for a fixed mount situation. Specifically ask them to confirm in writing that the warranty will not be impacted if the handle is removed as you are getting conflicting replies from dealers. They should help you here.

I'll leave ally boat owners to help out with your other installation questions as I'm more experienced with glass boats.

Cheers Z

It probably sounds stupid but I think that handle has been installed upside down, Probably a Friday job done buy a newby to the trade without supervision, however I could be wrong, but it just don't look right.

Frank

Hey Mattyau,

I was just thinking about this over dinner - it looks like your motor may be mounted a bit low - if you could raise it a bit then it would allow the handle to hang more vertically - maybe enough to get the tilt you're after. 

You can google your specific motor, but generally the anti-ventilation plate (cavitation plate) should ideally be about 1in (2.54cm) below the hull. From the pictures it looks like yours is much lower - can you lift it an inch or two? Do you have sufficient stern height left at the motor well?

image.png.23abb3e5f98c6fdf37f2e035dea196b6.png

Also, rather then remove the entire hatch, can you just cut out the corner that is impinging on the handle? 

Cheers Z

I remeasured and it is 50mm but that is what the honda wants i reckon i could rise it but then the motor would not be sitting flush on the stern and its only the 2 screw mounts holding it to that height. im now curious to see if i get the dealership to mount the motor with the instl kit which is  2 extra bots that can be secure abit more, if they raise it or leave it how it is. 

Edited by Mattyau

Yup. The extra bolts are locknut permanent mounts.  I’ve seen a few boats with a wood or plastic spacer above the stern to accommodate a higher mount. Hope that extra height gives you the clearance you need. 

Cheers Z

• 2 weeks later...

sorry i forgot to update, well as it turned out the motor was low raised about inch and half with a piece of alloy being welded on the back then bolted on, this allowed just enough movement in the handle to be able to tilt it to the highest setting and made the boat alot better in the water compared to the last motor, it dont feel like its going to go vertical when your planning lol. fish finder could be adjusted more but i havnt got to that just yet as the guy i got to do the work was not to concerned as he said it should be fine will the boat is drifting and trolling and thats mainly when i use the sounder at the moment im still learning how to use it correctly, the outboard support has been working tho ive got it so it cant slide out if the motor moves about and it seems to be doing the job. work was done last week and i had it on the water saturday at fivedock. my next post will be looking for recommendations of where to take a vessel of that size around botany bay as that will be my closest ramp. its only 3.5m  and im not to sure how far i could push it and i guess that will also depend on experience, but this is amusing conditions are ideal.

Edited by Mattyau

Thanks so much for the update @Mattyau !   Great to see it worked out for you.  I'm sure the set up of the sounder will be a lot easier than getting the motor set up. 

I suggest you post your boatramp question in the  Fishing Chat or Boat Ramp forums.

Cheers

Zoran