Spill In Botany Bay

Guest Sea Jay

Guest Sea Jay

Hey fella just read about this spil in the bay anyone have anymore information on it would much appriciate it as it is where i mainly fish??

Any responses greatly appriciated!!

Is this the one that you are concerned about?

"The "plume" is what the spill is being called, as it originated on the Orica site and has spread out through the water table in a plume. Think of a giant fan shape.

The spill is a substance called EDC which was used in making PVC, VERY NASTY!!!

The clean up involves a series of wellheads on Foreshore drive (recently constructed) that allow the ground water and EDC to be removed and treated."

Hi folks,

The Orica site has been releasing a plume of contaminatants for ages. At present teh company has been spending loads of cash trying to solve the problem. At present the plume has not reached the sands of botany to completly affect the bay but like what jewel said, it is very close. The wellheads which have been drilled is aimed at taking the contaminated groundwater to a treatment plant for treatment before release. All this is costing the company millions of dollars. Now thats only the 1st problem abt contaminants in the bay. Another major issue is the leaking seweage flowing into the bay. Along foreshore road, there is a big drain flowing out near the airport. Many people has reported fairly gd catches there. However on certain windy days, many would have observed a pungent smell coming from it. All this comes from the sewerage pipe which is leaking in a couple of places. There are days when u do not smell it and its all because of the win direction. Added to that there are quite a number of industries and ports which operate in the bay. In the pass where there was little control- sometime i still think there isn't much of that. Illegal dumping of waste have been carrying on. Thus the sediments do get contaminated by lead, copper, mercury ect. test have been done on the area and although there is a possibility of getting contaminated, the risk is low. But for me, i still wouldn't take a chance with fish from the bay esp along foreshore road, and a couple of the industralised areas. But hey its always an excellent excuse to do catch and release eh. :1fishing1:

regards

DArryl