Bought my first boat! Cant wait to hit the water!

MJGough

On 10/13/2018 at 6:10 PM, antonywardle said:

@Doza48 I'm happy to come up for trip. Maybe together we can help you become less rubbish ?

We should be able to get something between the lot of us. I work a rotating roster and can usually get out here and there, send us a PM if you ever plan a spontaneous trip up this way.

15 hours ago, Doza48 said:

?

I should have read this yesterday, another fishless morning this morning ?

happy to get lessons off anyone anytime ?

I went out quickly yesterday, no luck but only fished half an hour. Too much rain lately.

15 hours ago, antonywardle said:

Well I went out three times this weekend and only caught yesterday

To be fair, today in the creek was always going to be pointless, its runinng

fast and full of mud!

I took the boat up Dora creek for a test run and dropped a few lines in quickly with the kids. Was definitely not in a good state for fishing with all this rain lately. Not even a bite.

• Like 1

Well the conditions werent ideal but I took advantage of a few hours of sunshine between the bouts of rain to get the boat out yesterday with the kids. More went out to test things out with the boat than to fish, but we did still drop a few lines in. Didn't even get a bite though. 

Took the 10 minute drive to Dora Creek ramp and cruised up and down the creek. Its a 4 knot zone and you are never far from shore so I felt it was a good testing ground, its a bit out of the elements too. The lake itself had some decent chop going on and I wasnt keen to deal with it.

AxspJQf.jpgqopyZHi.jpgkRcAnVB.jpg

The boat went perfectly, motor runs like a dream, its nice and stable with good space, although it will be better when I work out some storage and a good set up for our gear. Doesn't fill up with water eirher, which I believe is a good thing.

100% needs a tiller extension handle, and the jury is still out on the windscreen and canopy, forward visibility leaves a bit to be desired. Other than that it was fine.

Wind got up over 20kmh which made getting it in and out by myself a bit tough but it was manageable and would be easy on a nice day.

As for the fishing,  we only used one prawn each and they were still on the hooks when we took the boat out. The creek was dirty and running fast after this week or so of heavy rain.

I haven't fished the creek before so if anyone knows the good spots I could do with some direction.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, MJGough said:

Well the conditions werent ideal but I took advantage of a few hours of sunshine between the bouts of rain to get the boat out yesterday with the kids. More went out to test things out with the boat than to fish, but we did still drop a few lines in. Didn't even get a bite though. 

Took the 10 minute drive to Dora Creek ramp and cruised up and down the creek. Its a 4 knot zone and you are never far from shore so I felt it was a good testing ground, its a bit out of the elements too. The lake itself had some decent chop going on and I wasnt keen to deal with it.

AxspJQf.jpgqopyZHi.jpgkRcAnVB.jpg

The boat went perfectly, motor runs like a dream, its nice and stable with good space, although it will be better when I work out some storage and a good set up for our gear. Doesn't fill up with water eirher, which I believe is a good thing.

100% needs a tiller extension handle, and the jury is still out on the windscreen and canopy, forward visibility leaves a bit to be desired. Other than that it was fine.

Wind got up over 20kmh which made getting it in and out by myself a bit tough but it was manageable and would be easy on a nice day.

As for the fishing,  we only used one prawn each and they were still on the hooks when we took the boat out. The creek was dirty and running fast after this week or so of heavy rain.

I haven't fished the creek before so if anyone knows the good spots I could do with some direction.

By looking at the photos the boat looks good mate you should have lots of good times

1 hour ago, masterfisho7 said:

By looking at the photos the boat looks good mate you should have lots of good times

Heres hoping, will be nice if we ever have a day with sun and no wind

Edited by MJGough
  • Like 1

Getting the kids hooked into coming out with you and not getting bored can often be just a simple case of burlying up a few pilchards and tossing them over the side every few mins to draw a few small fish in. This is best done at anchor, My advice would be get close to the river bank then move out to where the bank seems to level out and often at the edge of the ribbon weed. Once the small fish turn up in the burley often something bigger moves in too. Small hooks and just enough weight to reach bottom, sometimes no weight at all will do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JonD said:

Getting the kids hooked into coming out with you and not getting bored can often be just a simple case of burlying up a few pilchards and tossing them over the side every few mins to draw a few small fish in. This is best done at anchor, My advice would be get close to the river bank then move out to where the bank seems to level out and often at the edge of the ribbon weed. Once the small fish turn up in the burley often something bigger moves in too. Small hooks and just enough weight to reach bottom, sometimes no weight at all will do.

They have been fortunate enough to catch a tonne of fish each every time we go out (cant saythe same for myself) but even though qe had no luck, the boat was enough tk keep them entertained this trip.

Some good tips there, hopefully get it out somewhere with more action next time.

Well done on the first trials MJ, small steps initially is a good idea.

On the tiller extension, just be careful there, they do increase the danger of ending up in the drink & if the motor had a lanyard cut off switch then I would be wearing it while using the extension.

I can also see some cushioning on the seats being needed at some point soon, once you get into a but of chop it can get a bit punishing on the buttocks ?

I went with this in mu tinny & used Velcro so I could take them off for cleaning but there is a multitude of choices out there.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/cush-grey-thick-med

Enjoy & stay safe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Well done on the first trials MJ, small steps initially is a good idea.

On the tiller extension, just be careful there, they do increase the danger of ending up in the drink & if the motor had a lanyard cut off switch then I would be wearing it while using the extension.

I can also see some cushioning on the seats being needed at some point soon, once you get into a but of chop it can get a bit punishing on the buttocks ?

I went with this in mu tinny & used Velcro so I could take them off for cleaning but there is a multitude of choices out there.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/cush-grey-thick-med

Enjoy & stay safe.

Sound advice, thanks.

Thought it better safe and sorry on the first day out, would hate to be rowing a few KM's back across Lake Mac with a cooked motor on day one!

I have some old throw cushions, but some proper cushions and carpet for the benches and floors are the first priority (beyond preventative maintenance)

• Like 1

The thing is its a good base to add your own improvements to, a partial project boat!

I did some mods when I inherited my fathers/family 1969 Quintrex sportsman, had to get a new motor but then set out making it more user friendly for me so floating deck in between both seats to make it easier to get around & for casting(but have to be careful now as its less stable underfoot!), marine carpet, seat cushions & rails for rod holders.

Not overly pretty but it does the job :biggrinthumb::biggrinthumb:

Framing.JPG

deck - Copy.JPG

motor veiw.JPG

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

The thing is its a good base to add your own improvements to, a partial project boat!

I did some mods when I inherited my fathers/family 1969 Quintrex sportsman, had to get a new motor but then set out making it more user friendly for me so floating deck in between both seats to make it easier to get around & for casting(but have to be careful now as its less stable underfoot!), marine carpet, seat cushions & rails for rod holders.

Not overly pretty but it does the job :biggrinthumb::biggrinthumb:

Framing.JPG

deck - Copy.JPG

motor veiw.JPG

Thats it.

It has a painted ply floor now, I plan on pulling it up when i can and probably setting up some storage areas like that and carpeting or rubber matting it.

Nothing too crazy now, just some comfort things.

Got home 5 minutes before the postie arrived and wouldnt you know it, my package from Frank turned up.

Blown away by your generosity Frank, the perfect few goodies to get the boat on its way to a proper fishing set up. I really appreciate it and hope you will let me return a favor one day.

Will have to wait for for the sun to come back out to get them installed but I'm looking forward to it.

YbeeHUN.jpg

• Like 3

Nice boat mate, you certainly scored really well there with that, and don't ya just love the smiles on the kids faces, that's what its all about!

As for Frank S, the most lovely bloke on earth mate. I used to live in Sydney and Frank gave up his time for me to help me out on more than a couple of occasions, he even offered to drive up to Port Stephens when I had some other issues not long after I moved up. He knows boating and fishing and always has some great advice. Hope you're well Frank - you are a champion fella mate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield28 said:

Nice boat mate, you certainly scored really well there with that, and don't ya just love the smiles on the kids faces, that's what its all about!

As for Frank S, the most lovely bloke on earth mate. I used to live in Sydney and Frank gave up his time for me to help me out on more than a couple of occasions, he even offered to drive up to Port Stephens when I had some other issues not long after I moved up. He knows boating and fishing and always has some great advice. Hope you're well Frank - you are a champion fella mate. 

Thanks. The whole family is stoked, the kids love it and it's a great feeling to see them enjoying a good old fashion family activity.

I don't doubt your claim about Frank, he is fantastic,  has already sent me some nice messages and topped it off with this parcel.  All we can do is remember to pay it forward and to always try our best to be a good member of the community ourselves 

• Like 2