Sign in to follow this  
masterfisho7

Canon 200- 400 F4 Lens

My brother has one of these and they are an incredible piece of kit. 

He also shoots with a couple of 1D X's.

• Like 1

I had a prime 400 2.8 and have to say my daughter's 100-400mk 2 easely managed more keepers. She still has her lens but I sold mine loosing close to $10000 on the sale. You really have to ask yourself are you prepared to lug that thing around and use it enough to make it worth while.  I know the phone sounds like a low quality option but both my daughter and her boyfriend are supplying their sponsors with regular shots because they can carry the phone without the bulk and produce the images many of us are seeing in fishing magazines.

In terms of image quality, the very slight improvement most people wouldn't even notice is a huge price to pay, certainly not the $10000 more than the cost of the excellent 100-400mk2 .

Sorry for the non encouraging comments but from someone who once worked professionally and owned around $80000 worth of camera and obsessed with getting the best gear I found it simply wasn't needed. The hobby side of me had me carrying huge amounts of gear into tree tops photographing eagles to kayaking for kingfishers on rivers and lakes. I can honestly say after selling most of my gear apart from a small kit each for my girls I managed to get images in the first day of testing my Sony compact of wildlife than I had in eight years with the pro level gear. 

My advice would be either buy a 100-400mk 2 if you haven't already got one and spend the $10000+ you saved on a holiday away using it. Or save even more and get a great little compact, go on holiday, take heaps of photos with the compact and sell them to tourisum so you can go again.

• Like 1

Oops my mistake I should of said $12000 cheaper to put towards your safari. 

Canon 200-400 rrp $14400

Canon 1dx mk2  rrp $8500

Or Sony rx 10mk4 24-600 at $2000, no Sherpa or extra baggage charges and shoots more than twice as fast as the above canon. One you can carry almost anywhere, both will produce Geographic front cover quality, infact look at the review done by a leading Geo photographer on the compact Sony. 

This wasn't the Geo photographer I meant but it seems yet another has moved to the Sony https://alphauniverse.com/stories/rx10-iv--a-sleeper-no-more/

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

Although my kit is based more around wide angle and macro, I do own a 100-400 mkII and it can certainly take a sharp pic, even with my shaky old hands. 

This shot was taken with it on my 7d.

IMG_1202.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Although my kit is based more around wide angle and macro, I do own a 100-400 mkII and it can certainly take a sharp pic, even with my shaky old hands. 

This shot was taken with it on my 7d.

IMG_1202.jpg

It really is a superb lens, must of hurt canons sales on their much higher price range gear. It's funny that there are also many reviews on the older 400 5.6 which gained the same high score as the $14000 more expensive 2.8. Also the 7d is a great body, both my girls love theirs, one uses the same 100-400 as you and the other the much cheaper 70-300 nano which is incredible for the money. For us much of our photography is in the boat where we do get sea spray on our gear, not the best for extremely high value kits. Not sure if you are on Instagram but my youngest daughter has lots of wildlife images mostly taken with the 70-300 if you are interested just look up Tess Poyner instergram.

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

Jon I had a look at your Daughters Instagram page looks great mate love the phoyography

• Like 1

The camera I will be getting soon to replace my Canon 1200 d . Canon EOS 7d Mark 11

canon is me.jpg

canon is me 1.jpg

canon is me 2.jpg

canon is me 3.jpg

canon is me 4.jpg

canon is me 5.jpg

canon is me 6.jpg

can0n eos 7d mark 11.jpg

Edited by masterfisho7

That's a great outfit, what are you wanting to mostly target? 

31 minutes ago, JonD said:

That's a great outfit, what are you wanting to mostly target? 

Mate Wildlife Photography 

• Like 1