Battery under the floor...

Colin Fishabit

Hi,

I've recently purchased a 'new to me' 2008 Quintrex 490 Coast Runner. 

The main battery was mounted in a plastic battery box and strapped to the floor under the folding rear seat.  I suspect this isn't the factory location.

Under the floor, adjacent t the transom in the center is an empty spot (40cm x 40cm x 40cm) with foam blocks ether side that is begging to rehouse the battery.  It would be great to get the weight down low and clear the deck area. 

I thought about how batteries can produce gas when charging and discharging so decided it shouldn't go there but have since been told some boats have batteries mounted similarly.

Has anyone done a similar relocation or got good advice on the proposed relocation?

Cheers

Colin,

Edited by Colin Fishabit

Hi

my stacer has the battery mounted in a vented battery box under the floor in a hatch behind the rear folding seat directly below the ski pole.

my 2nd battery is behind the folding seat in a box but not below the floor.

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff.

I've found a bit of advice to put in a vented box but the boxes ive found don't seem to seal so the fumes could escape into the under floor area anyway.

I'll see if I can find a better box and work out a good vent system. 

The space benefits of moving it are significant.

Love to see some pictures form Quintrex owners..

• 3 weeks later...

I had a 5.3 quinine bowrider.  It had a rear long we put a second batterybunder the lounge.   The original battery was behind the seat above the floor level.     There was a tiny lift up panel for access to the bilge pump.    This is all from memory see the pic of the rear lounge.  We bought it brand new around a 99 model I think.

Our current boat is s 5.7 stacker bowrider.    It has the two factory batteries under the floor.   But the stacker does have a deeper V.   The pictures are as it was supplied to us new.   The lids to the battery boxes weren’t supplied as they wouldn’t of fit.   You can see it with the panel almost completely in place. It seals pretty tight and there is no deliberate ventilation I can see.   I’m sure there are plenty of gaps around the floor sections though.

they are good there with the low center of gravity and out of the way  but it does concern me if I cop some water the power will be gone very quick.

Sorry it probably doesn’t relate to your boat and situation very well. 

Thr first pic is the quinine the other three the stacer set up.   I have no idea how to put them near in the discussion part.

62716402-6A98-4125-A2EA-CC0B1B545F81.jpeg

3B5112FB-2706-4DA6-B0AA-C402DA025FCE.jpeg

CE5585A7-7BCD-4C63-BA85-F8A8E8EAE673.jpeg

609A0B9B-056F-4225-BE8F-D04BA81D99AF.jpeg

Edited by Welster
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My Quintrex 5.7 Lazeabout has a similar battery setup and it was a real pain to get to either of the batteries.  I was happy to leave them where they were but it accessing them for topping up charging at home drove me crazy so it did this ( posted in a previous article).

3 hours ago, Colin Fishabit said:

Hi Fragmeister

I had a read of the article; thanks this is good.  Nice job too.

So both your batteries were essentially under the floor?  Were they in vented boxes or just mounted securely and covered with a  ply/carpet lid?

Thanks

Colin,

They were in vented boxes with plastic covers and straps that held them in place.

There is a carpeted ply cover that slots into place and lines up with flooring under the transom which is about 100 mm higher than the deck.

You have to release the straps to get the covers off and removing the covers requires losing some skin off your knuckles!

I am not convinced that batteries require a great deal of venting. Hydrogen is lighter than air so as long as there is any sort of hole in the top of the battery compartment the gas will escape. In most situations, the boat is underway when all the charging takes place so the general airflow in the boat is going to quickly disperse any gas.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1