Transducer installation help

Fish_More

Hi all

Habe order a new transducer for the boat, being a Lowrance 3-in-1 Active Imaging.  It has not arrived yet but have looked up installation instructions on web as starting to work myself up to drilling a hole in the back of the boat.

the instructions say I need a 1 inch of 25mm hole.  The existing transducer is about a 3-4mm cable and hole is probably about 10mm.  I’m can enlarge it out to the required size using a burr drill bit not a problem.

However, at rest, it is below the water line.  Concerned about having a whole this big sealed up with some sort of cable cover and sealant.

what have others done?

Thanks

Mark

8BE4ECA1-81F3-46A6-BD32-2E60A7722684.jpeg

assuming thats a step above the mount, just run it through the step (drill a hole through it)and drill your hole above the waterline and run in back down the inside of the hull, not a fan of holes in the hull, its amazing how much wateer can come through a couple of tiny screw holes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaddyT said:

assuming thats a step above the mount, just run it through the step (drill a hole through it)and drill your hole above the waterline and run in back down the inside of the hull, not a fan of holes in the hull, its amazing how much wateer can come through a couple of tiny screw holes

Agree worried about water with it being below the waterline.  If do end up using the existing hole, will put whatever cover I put over it on with sealed rivets like you use for bungs.

You have given me an idea though, there is a removable berley bucket through the step, could use that area to get through the step as will only need to take a little nick bigger enough for the cable rather than the a hole bigger enough for the plug on the end.

3 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...fish more,im installing a new sounder and transducer as well.use a cable cover and a suitable silicon. 

Struggling to find a cable cover bigger enough to fit over a 25mm hole.  Where have you got yours from?

Hi all...fish more,ill be getting stuck into mine tomorrow.i was going to use my old cover,but since you have pointed it out,mine will be to small also.i think the local boat shop would be my first look for one,there the ones who usually fit out the electronics in boats.ill let you know when i get there.

Thanks back cruncher.  Will be very interested to hear how you go.  If bringing up through the barley bucket hole does not work, I might use a bit of aluminium checker plate I have in the shed with a slot cut in it for the cable to cover the hole which would only leave a small amount to do with sealant.

Hi all...fish more,i bought a cover from my local boat shop today.it only cost a couple of dollars.still needed to use a good blob of sikaflex.i feel your better off making a plate with a slotted hole,you would use less sikaflex.

i could mail you one up if you wish.

your boat looks the same brand as mine.

Thanks for the offer back cruncher, very much appreciated, think I will just go with a plate with a slot in it.  

Have got the previous transducer of and surprised how big the hole is anyway.  Only need to enlarge about 5-7mm.

Think I might put the new transducer closer to the centre so my dream of trim tabs later on can go outside it.

Also need to clean up some corrosion around where the old stainless screws where.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Here is what I ended up with.  Happy with the outcome, even if a little bit agricultural.  Took it for a run this morning and no leeks.

However, structure scan not working properly.  Will post some photos as can’t get anything from it.  Not even holding depth initially but is now.

Mark

298239DB-15EF-46B9-B91D-A93129C10940.jpeg

E9AEB3B5-34FE-498C-8DD0-BDAE102FA08B.jpeg

Hi all

Spoke to Lowrance support today, apparently HDS Carbon may not be compatible with the Active Imaging 3-1 Transducer (at the moment).  Even thought the Lowrance website says it is compatible.

I have had to send some screenshots and photos of transducer installation to support this afternoon for them to investigate further.

They think the next software release when available will make it compatible. More than a little bit frustrated by spending over $2k for a structurescan sonar to find out I don't actually have one.  The y assured me yes it's is compatible, just not yet!  Pity away for a week on holiday hoping to use it.

After getting the run around from support for a while, did get to somebody that was very helpful and did what they could and has promised to come back to me.

Anyway, I have had my rant, should get some sleep as hoping o go catch some fish early tomorrow morning.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by Fish_More
Spelling

59 minutes ago, Fish_More said:

Hi all

Spoke to Lowrance support today, apparently HDS Carbon may not be compatible with the Active Imaging 3-1 Transducer (at the moment).  Even thought the Lowrance website says it is compatible.

Anyway, I have had my rant, should get some sleep as hoping o go catch some fish early tomorrow morning.

Cheers

Mark

Gee that sux,,  hopefully you get into the fish tomorrow.   Does the traditional 2d sonar still work?

Bear 

Hi Sea Ranger

Yes, traditional 2d sonar works at least.  Also have transducer from HDS gen 1 on the back that still gives traditional sonar.

At lease came home with some fish today.  7 flathead and 1 snapper (more squire than snapper).

Mark

FFD960D4-C904-4218-9B47-EB8212666A1C.jpeg

• Like 1