Broke down on hacking last night

Fab1

Could be.... but you were meticulous in the re-assembly of the carbie.  The low pressure fuel pump is a relatively easy test - unplug the fuel feed line at carbie and crank motor to see if its feeding out fuel.

But before you go look at the fuel pump - When did you change the primer bulb last? The non return valve may be buggered and letting the fuel siphon back into tank (sucking it out of the carbie).  

Cheers Zoran

BTW - did you catch any fish ?

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Could be.... but you were meticulous in the re-assembly of the carbie.  The low pressure fuel pump is a relatively easy test - unplug the fuel feed line at carbie and crank motor to see if its feeding out fuel.

But before you go look at the fuel pump - When did you change the primer bulb last? The non return valve may be buggered and letting the fuel siphon back into tank (sucking it out of the carbie).  

Cheers Zoran

Hi Zoran,yes the fuel pump pumps fuel into a glass jar as i already tested it along with pumping the bulb into the jar too.

I've never changed the primer bulb since 2011 when i bought the boat.Know a way to test and confirm the non return valve is operational?

We fisher for about 2hrs off and on inbetween travelling time for just under legal snapper,some kind of wrasse looked like and a pink cod looking thing about 30cm long.My mrs hooked a nice flounder which we realeased. We used prawns,pillies,and salted tailor fillets with the prawns out fishing the other baits.We had a few good bites that we missed inbetween fish too.It was very nice on the water from about 6:30-7:30pm with not a breath of wind then the wind icked up slightly.

Water temp was a pleasant 22.6deg.

My mrs was sick before we even went so we decided to pull the pin around 8:30-9pm and head home.

Ill be out again on the weekend or on thurs during next week as sitting here im certain i won't catch a fish.😀

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I've never changed the primer bulb since 2011 when i bought the boat.Know a way to test and confirm the non return valve is operational?

Mate 7yrs thats an excellent run out of a fuel primer bulb - mine usually need to be changed every 3-4yrs - they go hard and brittle but then mine are outside exposed to the elements. 

The only real test I know of is that they don't hold pressure - bulb goes soft. The valve is either a simple diaphragm or ball type thingy. IMO not worth trying to fix - the replacement bulbs a relatively inexpensive (to the point that I usually carry a spare in my onboard kit).   

So overall, thinking back to the original post and the symptoms you described  it looks like you had a combination of problems.

1. carbie needle wasn't seating properly - primer bulb going soft, flooded chamber and running rich with wet plugs,

2. bulb check valve was leaking - bulb going soft.

Re fishing.  At least you got out and had an outing with the Mrs... better then anything Netflix could dish up for sure !  I'm sure the fishing gods will smile on you one day soon.. 

Cheers  Zoran

19 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Mate 7yrs thats an excellent run out of a fuel primer bulb - mine usually need to be changed every 3-4yrs - they go hard and brittle but then mine are outside exposed to the elements. 

The only real test I know of is that they don't hold pressure - bulb goes soft. The valve is either a simple diaphragm or ball type thingy. IMO not worth trying to fix - the replacement bulbs a relatively inexpensive (to the point that I usually carry a spare in my onboard kit).   

So overall, thinking back to the original post and the symptoms you described  it looks like you had a combination of problems.

1. carbie needle wasn't seating properly - primer bulb going soft, flooded chamber and running rich with wet plugs,

2. bulb check valve was leaking - bulb going soft.

Re fishing.  At least you got out and had an outing with the Mrs... better then anything Netflix could dish up for sure !  I'm sure the fishing gods will smile on you one day soon.. 

Cheers  Zoran

Good summary Zoran. Always a worry that something MAY happen when you head out in the boat, especially if you're miles from nowhere. Cheers, bn

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Good summary Zoran. Always a worry that something MAY happen when you head out in the boat, especially if you're miles from nowhere. Cheers, bn

And at night.I have a plan though if i just can't get my boat started at all ill get my son to hang off the transom and kick us back to the ramp with his size 14 clod hoppers.lol.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

ill get my son to hang off the transom and kick us back to the ramp with his size 14 clod hoppers.lol.

BAHAHA... so in actual fact you carry an auxiliary on board... great stuff.  Perhaps you should write it up in the Personal Outboard experience topic.... we know the Brand: Fab+, but it would be good to know - What fuel is preferred, what consumption do you get, how often do you service ? ... 

Cheers Z 😂

1 minute ago, zmk1962 said:

BAHAHA... so in actual fact you carry an auxiliary on board... great stuff.  Perhaps you should write it up in the Personal Outboard experience topic.... we know the Brand: Fab+, but it would be good to know - What fuel is preferred, what consumption do you get, how often do you service ? ... 

Cheers Z 😂

Brand :Jordan

Fuel:Anything that was alive or grown.

Consumption:Very expensive to run as Jordan eats me out of house an d home.

Service:Just the usual teenager/young man of getting haircut once a year,tidying bedroom as often and general shower every now and then.

Cheers. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Service:Just the usual teenager/young man of getting haircut once a year,tidying bedroom as often and general shower every now and then.

I did forget to mention that i think he's running way too rich as he's been backfiring out the exhaust latelywhen worked hard and by golly he reeks.

Solution i think is less beans and more veggies.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Oh... I thought that was the turbo kicking in ... adding to the propulsion.

Lol.I tell ya what,that turbo would even make the fish curl up their toes and float to the surface if they had any.Phew wee.

6 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Cheers Zoran

I primed the bulb hard last night(Carburretor bowl full)when i parked my boat up for further testing today to see if it drained over night by unscrewing the drain plug on the bowl today and see what fuel if any came out.

Well,i just did it and a whole 20ml came out if that which confirms the fuel is going back into the tank.

Looks like its bulb replacement time too.

20181107_142558.jpg

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Cheers Z 😂

Sounds like a very high maintenance auxiliary power supply. If he has size 14 feet he probably "eats 2 spuds more than a pig". Still beats being totally stranded eh? bn

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Sounds like a very high maintenance auxiliary power supply. If he has size 14 feet he probably "eats 2 spuds more than a pig". Still beats being totally stranded eh? bn

It sure does.If we have to swim ill make sure he goes first so the shark that attacks us has a taste of the stinky sod and won't come back for me.lol.

• Haha 1