boat insurance

mii11x

Hi guys,

Almost time to renew my policy and noticed this clause - 18.6 theft excess.

image.thumb.png.b553c950b9e45553793631a68d9c92c6.png

While my boat is always stored at home in a lockable garage, behind two other vehicles at night, there is the occasion I do go holidaying with it.   Whenever im towing it it always is padlocked on the trailer coupling, so too when I holiday - I also chain and padlock to the cabin, but these are not  accepted "anti-theft" devices as outlined in clause 18.6.

So my question is, what anti-theft devices are you guys using or recommend?  I dont fancy those complete wheel devices really, but it may mean the difference between a $1000 excess or not.  Are there any other alternatives?

Cheers

Mick 

I use the same as well.  Also when boat used to be left outside used to fit a wheel lock.  Not really that much to carry and fairly easy to put on.  Gave me piece of mind. 

My my policy might even be worse that I have no cover if not locked with recognised anti-theft device.

did a quick search through RACQ product disclosure statement and couldnt find anything about having to have a recognised anti theft device.   Should I be looking into another document perhaps?  Im curious as my boat is out on the driveway with an el cheapo yellow tow ball helmet and a chain around the wheels. 

My boat sits in a boat port behind gates at the bottom of my driveway and I can see it from my spot on the lounge chaise while watching TV. It has a padlock through the coupling clip and the added protection of a 45kg American Staffy who won’t let anyone near it. ??

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, mii11x said:

Hi guys,

Almost time to renew my policy and noticed this clause - 18.6 theft excess.

image.thumb.png.b553c950b9e45553793631a68d9c92c6.png

While my boat is always stored at home in a lockable garage, behind two other vehicles at night, there is the occasion I do go holidaying with it.   Whenever im towing it it always is padlocked on the trailer coupling, so too when I holiday - I also chain and padlock to the cabin, but these are not  accepted "anti-theft" devices as outlined in clause 18.6.

So my question is, what anti-theft devices are you guys using or recommend?  I dont fancy those complete wheel devices really, but it may mean the difference between a $1000 excess or not.  Are there any other alternatives?

Cheers

Mick 

This is how I look at. Don’t worry about if the insurance company accepts your security devices as not adequate. If you genuinely think your own security devices are enough then don’t worry about the extra theft excess as chances are it won’t get stolen right?

I remember reading an article either on the web or in a Club Marine magazine where they tested the so called approved anti-theft devices.  They could get around them all easily, it just came to a degree of difficulty.

A bit like was said above, make it more difficult to steal your boat then the one down the road and hopefully the go down the road and don't take yours.  Feel sorry for the bloke down the road, but at least you still have your boat.

I've had boat insurance with club marine for the last 23 years, I also chop and change my boats quite often meaning my policy is always changing. These changes are always made over the phone with very helpful staff who agree on the phone what's covered, where, when etc. However when I get the policy book I find the first few pages look good stating everything is covered  but the next 150 pages state reasons why none of the first few pages are covered.

Looking back I've spent somewhere between $550 and $1200 each year (23yrs) which adds up to a hefty lump. Having once tried to claim after a 4 blade stainless prop worth $750 was stolen only to find because it wasn't considered secured properly it wasn't covered. I've since purchased a dedicated prop lock and will only buy boats that can fit in my garage behind a locked door. ( two German Shepards, one full time armed guard and a team of firefighters).

I also lost a $1600 lens off my daughter's underwater camera trying to film marlin by just holding the camera over the side. Even though I'd stated on the phone often carrying expensive camera gear, the girl on the phone actually laughed when I told her of the loss, of course not covered. I now wish I'd recorded some of those initial conversations.

According to the clauses in my policy I'm pretty much not covered for any items stolen from or off the boat if traveling on holiday unless I'm able to lock in in a building. I'm considering just having puplic liability insurance in the future if I can find one not attached to the boat.

5 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

My boat sits in a boat port behind gates at the bottom of my driveway and I can see it from my spot on the lounge chaise while watching TV. It has a padlock through the coupling clip and the added protection of a 45kg American Staffy who won’t let anyone near it. ??

I tell my Mrs to sit and stay beside the boat and I can tell you no one will go near it including me.?

4 hours ago, Hateanchors said:

This is how I look at. Don’t worry about if the insurance company accepts your security devices as not adequate. If you genuinely think your own security devices are enough then don’t worry about the extra theft excess as chances are it won’t get stolen right?

Lol.When it gets stolen and the insurance knocks back his claim he can say you said to not worry and everything will be ok.

• Haha 1

On 10/24/2018 at 7:45 PM, zmk1962 said:

This is what I use... a recognised anti theft device sold through a retail outlet.

image.png.1369a24c6b078178a06a042572edd711.png

Cheers

Zoran

I even Tow with that lock on my trailer, only time it’s had issue is whe. Reversing and I have to almost Jack Knife the trailer it bend the bar on the lock a little.

Otherwise it is fine when towing and reversing at the ramp.

The thieves bring their own tow hitch and a portable drill and just swap your out for theirs.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

I even Tow with that lock on my trailer, only time it’s had issue is whe. Reversing and I have to almost Jack Knife the trailer it bend the bar on the lock a little.

The thieves bring their own tow hitch and a portable drill and just swap your out for theirs.

They better swap that drill for an angle grinder for mine.

cheers for all the replies fellas, its more for when I holiday really and maybe when the trailer is left attached to my car at boat ramps.  At all other times, when im not using it, its in a locked garage behind two cars. 

I will have a look at some of the suggestions.  I just dont wanna pay 1000 excess to insurance companies if i dont have to, should it ever get stolen.  I know first hand they try and weasel their way out of all claims

Usually, if you choose a higher excess, you get a lower premium. If you opt for a lower excess, your premium will be higher. For our cars and the house, we usually choose a higher excess to get the lower premium. In the past, we figured that we’d be ahead that way.... then we had 3 car claims and 2 house claims in 12 months! ??

My boat insurance is under $200, so it’s not a big deal for me. I’m not exactly sure what the excess is, though - I’ll check. Renewal’s due in a couple of weeks!

3 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Hahaha ... that's exactly why mine is so bent !!

Cheers

Zoran

17 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Lol.When it gets stolen and the insurance knocks back his claim he can say you said to not worry and everything will be ok.

Lol. It’s not going to be knocked back if he doesn’t have the approved locks. He just had to pay $1000 theft excess if it happens to be stolen. 

So what I suggested was that if he thinks his own security is adequate (as he said) then I wouldn’t worry about the excess as chances are it won’t get stolen.

This is the same way the insurance company looks at it. If he has proper security then chances are it won’t get stolen and we make more money. 

17 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Yeah, 2 bolts and a hitch and the trailer is yours. Better off taking the whole drawbar off.

18 hours ago, campr said:

If you don't like the stolen excess clause you can always compare with other insurers there are plenty of them out there ?

Increase the value by 1000 bucks maybe??  :)

I have RACQ and I just got off the phone to them.  There is no stolen excess and I dont need to have a "recognised anti theft device".  So long as it is chained in my driveway im covered.  

32 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

News to me mate !  Welcome any insight. 

Mine specifically said to not be used while towing and is the same as yours pretty much.I accidently left mine on at the ramp and it does bind up when its a tight fit.

20181026_192432.jpg