boat insurance

mii11x

Ive been using one of these for the last 20 years, not only do they safely lock the trailer to the tow vehicle they also greatly assist in getting hitched without any dramas. When I say get hitched Im talking trailer conection not cheap marriages etc? 

Edited by JonD

2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Mine specifically said to not be used while towing and is the same as yours pretty much.I accidently left mine on at the ramp and it does bind up when its a tight fit.

20181026_192432.jpg

I have one of these locks but for some reason it doesn’t fit too well on my current boat/trailer. So, I don’t bother - just a padlock through the coupling.  But, I think my boat is pretty secure where it’s garaged now and I don’t feel that the trailer’s

a big risk at the ramps I use.

Just looked into my policy. My package is insured with NRMA for $22,800 plus liability insurance of $10 million. I didn’t choose cover for water skiing/towing or flotation devices. My excess is $500. No requirement for special theft protection devices. My premium due early next month is $197..84 (up 2c from last year). I have a 25% no claim bonus, a 25% loyalty discount (30 years and 11 policies - it really pays to keep all your policies with the one company ?); and I get a staff discount through my wife who works for IAG. Even without the staff discount, I’d probably stay with NRMA due to the no claim bonus and loyalty discounts and the fact that when I’ve had to make a claim on car or home insurance, they have been very helpful and quick with payments - even though they scrutinise staff claims thoroughly (to rule out fraud).

21 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I

Just looked into my policy. My package is insured with NRMA for $22,800 plus liability insurance of $10 million. I didn’t choose cover for water skiing/towing or flotation devices. My excess is $500. No requirement for special theft protection devices. My premium due early next month is $197..84 (up 2c from last year). I have a 25% no claim bonus, a 25% loyalty discount (30 years and 11 policies - it really pays to keep all your policies with the one company ?); and I get a staff discount through my wife who works for IAG. Even without the staff discount, I’d probably stay with NRMA due to the no claim bonus and loyalty discounts and the fact that when I’ve had to make a claim on car or home insurance, they have been very helpful and quick with payments - even though they scrutinise staff claims thoroughly (to rule out fraud).

Have you done a comparison quote with Club Marine?

I have Used NRMA on my last boat and we have 10 policies with them over 30 plus years too.

I got a quote on insurance for a new boat I was looking at from both NRMA and Club Marine

Club marine's coverage was $300 less than NRMA for me per year.     Could be where we live and all that too.  I have to keep a boat on the street unfortunately.

Bear

Edited by Noo2OzFish
important bits forgot

2 hours ago, Noo2OzFish said:

Have you done a comparison quote with Club Marine?

I have Used NRMA on my last boat and we have 10 policies with them over 30 plus years too.

I got a quote on insurance for a new boat I was looking at from both NRMA and Club Marine

Club marine's coverage was $300 less than NRMA for me per year.     Could be where we live and all that too.  I have to keep a boat on the street unfortunately.

Bear

Not since I purchased the boat 5 years ago. Club Marine didn’t come near it then. (The wife’s staff discount is a big help). It won’t hurt to have another look, I guess,.

13 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I have one of these locks but for some reason it doesn’t fit too well on my current boat/trailer. So, I don’t bother - just a padlock through the coupling.  But, I think my boat is pretty secure where it’s garaged now and I don’t feel that the trailer’s

a big risk at the ramps I use.

Damn thats cheap I think i pay $36 a month (so $430 a year) for a $13,000 boat.  lol

1 hour ago, frankS said:

The trailer need to be easily disconnected incase of an accident. hence illegal to tow with locking device in place, you can't even have a lock on the safety chain.

Frank

That’s news to me Frank and each time I have gone for rego I have had the same setup and no one has made a comment. I’ll do some digging but if you have a reference for that rule that you can point me to it would same me time and I’d really appreciate it mate.

thanks

Z

Sorry mate, no reference just memory from when I used to issue blue and white slips.

It was some time back so quiet possible for the rules to have changed, but seems as how it was a safety factor I can't see the rule being changed.

Frank

29 minutes ago, frankS said:

Sorry mate, no reference just memory from when I used to issue blue and white slips.

It was some time back so quiet possible for the rules to have changed, but seems as how it was a safety factor I can't see the rule being changed.

Frank

So im guessing hitch helmuts are illegal too even though they promote them as being suitable for driving with them on and stoping your trailer from unhitching in an accident?20181027_183115.jpg.d4f2b2ef09278138f027570c90cc3b7e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys... so I have done LOTS of digging on this topic...so apologies this is an EXTRA long post. 

First I went to RMS general website...

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/road-rules/towing.html

image.png.279da9cff8d52b882688d6b7a5b74ab6.png

I had a quick look and found Australian Vehicle Specification Rules  AVR 2015:  https://www.ntc.gov.au/Media/Reports/(4AA304CE-973F-48CF-999F-6D7B046B5470).pdf

The very last topic is about Trailer couplings:

image.png.3a47d52757fa0043422b857850e5b727.png

image.png.af8c9e4f1f80fe9314c72709e31ec2a8.png

Rule5 - makes the Ark Coupling Lock part of Rule3.

Rule 3b  clarifies that when you build your connection  you need to ensure that... "normal angular movement of the coupling is permitted" although it is more concerned this happens "without unnecessary slack".  I could not find anywhere a definition of "normal angular movement" ie specifically how many degrees (vertical and horizontal).  But I imagine the public carpark ramps, service stations, boat ramps etc would all have to be built to fall within "normal angular movement" . 

So in my case, when I create my specific "draw bar coupling" , it is made up of:

1. the Landcruiser mounted genuine towbar/towball and

2. Trigg 3.5T Trailer ball coupling AND

3. the ARK Coupling Lock,

I find it meets all of the above rule conditions and I can operate with normal angular movement.

So then I went to look at the manufacturer product.... it basically says "NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE WHEN TOWING" .. so its a recommendation from the manufacturer not a rule.

image.png.35011869064c26fdf55b5c64e5ebd7fd.png

1023143755_Photo11-11-1833217pm.thumb.jpg.04c22d72b7b973938c27fc9d8310ab46.jpg

I then went and wrote to RMS .... see the reply in the attached PDF.  But basically they pointed me to three websites and concluded....... " and the coupling lock while fitted to the towing attachment does not interfere with the normal operation of the vehicle in combination in any way then it would not be an issue."  I could not find anything that I contravened on the three websites they referred me to.

Technical Enquiries .pdf

Finally I went to Police enquiries 131444 and spoke to a constable who took my name number and referred the case to Highway Patrol Road enforcement area.  

Next day I got this text:

image.png.adc270f6e0ec6f02c20667a9dc6512d6.png

At this stage... I am comfortable to to continue towing with my coupling lock fitted and locked.

If anyone can find anything contrary PLEASE post.

Cheers

Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Thanks 2

I might add, the locking bar in the Pic is upside down, or at least when I use my coupling lock I use the bar the opposite way.

Mine is a lose fit and only has issues when I have to jack knife the trailer when parking on my lawn, never had a issue when doing tight forward turns or round-a-bouts or launching.

image.png.35011869064c26fdf55b5c64e5ebd7

4 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

I might add, the locking bar in the Pic is upside down, or at least when I use my coupling lock I use the bar the opposite way.

Mine is a lose fit and only has issues when I have to jack knife the trailer when parking on my lawn, never had a issue when doing tight forward turns or round-a-bouts or launching.

Interesting. I ran the peak of the locking bar across my bench grinder a few times and shaved a few mm off.  It is now tight on the Trailer ball coupling when left in the driveway, and has enough play to allow "normal movement" when locked over tongue and ball coupling when on the car.  Turning it upside down was too loose with my set up. 

I would classify a jack knife situation as abnormal and hence not fall under "normal operation".

Cheers Z  

9 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

image.png.35011869064c26fdf55b5c64e5ebd7

They are suppose to be fitted with the bar like this.20181026_192432.jpg.0b82fd9239cabf4b2326f1463d42551a.thumb.jpg.8ad6e4fce92de4dbe590fbfd45c90f66.jpgAnother thing people may find like i did is when you have the coupling adjusted correctly to the ball you can't pass the locking bar through the slot to put a lock on.I had to grind a hair off the top of my bar to get it through the slot.Also its a no brainer to use a decent lock and not the rubbish they come with.

I wonder why most people if you observe have these and not hitch helmuts?Cost i guess as those hitch helmuts ain't cheap but neither is replacing a stolen trailer i guess.

Cheers.

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I wonder why most people if you observe have these and not hitch helmuts?Cost i guess as those hitch helmuts ain't cheap but neither is replacing a stolen trailer i guess.

For me, all antitheft coupling devices are basically a deterrent. A battery powered grinder with a 2mm multi material cutting disc will make short work of any antitheft coupling.  Insurance takes over where antitheft prevention ends.  So if the insurance company accepts a $24 device as adequate for the policy its good enough for me for the Sydney ramps I visit.

I guess its the same logic with home alarms - my insurance company gave a significant discount if a back to base system was installed - they specified the minimum system that met their requirements. That's what I installed.

PS - I'd reconsider my decision regarding the coupling if I was travelling to remote locations where the logistics of what to do if a trailer is stolen are significantly more complex.

Cheers Z

I agree zmk1962, a battery grinder will remove anything anyway.  If they want it they will get it.

Its more the point of not having to pay extra excesses if I dont need to.  Policy is due for renewal in December,  I will follow up with club marine to see if they can recommend me a device and will repost when I receive a response.

To all that have commented, and there are quite a few, thank you for all your input, time spent and research on my originally posted question.  

Hey Raiders,

Just to keep everyone fully updated... I am still receiving emails from various departments and although there is contradiction in the responses the latest came from Traffic and Highway Patrol Command and they are adamant .....

-----------------------------------------------------

This device can not be attached to the vehicle/s while under tow.

Kind regards 
Belinda Rosolen
A/Sergeant 
Special Projects
Traffic and Highway Patrol Command 

-------------------------------------------------------

I have attached the email for reference.

I guess could continue the debate but when there is such variance of opinion between the departments I think its best to take the path of least resistance option.

So going forward I will not be driving with the coupling lock attached and will be adding fitting trailer coupling lock to my boat ramp carpark routine.

Cheers

Zoran

Fw Contact to NSW Police Ref 605885 0 CAS888418X2Q9 DLMSensitiveLaw Enforcement SLE.pdf

Looks like mine will be staying off while towing then too mate.

If there's so much conflicting opinion on the law/rules between government departments on a simple topic,what chance have us mere mortals have on knowing the more complex ones?

Thanks for your efforts.