MEDIA ALERT - Jetskis Georges River

mrsswordfisherman

MEDIA ALERT: 

JET SKIERS PUT ON NOTICE AFTER POTENTIALLY DEADLY GAME OF ‘CHICKEN’ WITH AUTHORITIES

Roads and Maritime Services Executive Director Maritime Angus Mitchell will address media this morning after two serious incidents involving jet skis on the Georges River.

All jet skiers are now on notice, with the busy summer boating season soon to start.

Time:                         11.30am, Thursday 25 October

2 Water Street, Sans Souci

1 minute ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

You obviously don’t do any fishing or boating there Jon 

Absolutely dangerous behaviour

I have heard that, luckily we have very few down here. The few that do have them mostly use them to get through the bar when conditions are to big, these are older blokes who tow surfers into big waves. 

It must be frustrating having them charging around on sheltered waters in numbers.

53 minutes ago, JonD said:

I have heard that, luckily we have very few down here. The few that do have them mostly use them to get through the bar when conditions are to big, these are older blokes who tow surfers into big waves. 

It must be frustrating having them charging around on sheltered waters in numbers.

Yes it is very dangerous and very annoying

Oh they are so irritating!  They get together in gangs and hoon around Brisbane Waters.  They've ruined a very popular local surf break at little box because it's too dangerous for surfers to be out there amongst them jumping over the back of waves without a care in the world.  They're loud and stupid and think they're cool but they're just idiots.  My brother bought one last year and I still can't look him in the eye...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Put  a band on them 

It would want to be a big jetski to fit a whole band and their instruments on them.?I agree if caught being a dill once,ban them for life.Same goes with boaters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know the Georges is way worse than the bay & understand that we have to share the water ways but there are some absolute out there trying to be hero's right next to where your trying to have a nice quiet fish.

I also now wont go on the Hacking during school holidays because of the jet & water skiers not obeying the rules.

Unfortunately life is full of people who think that the rules don't apply to them & they are  'special' & can do as they please.

A bit like people who drive expensive cars in Sydney ? 

I am sorry to say but these people behave this way only because they are allowed to do so and authorities are perfectly fine with it judging by lack of any action apart from very seldom tick-box “operations” with public notice well before their start.

1 hour ago, Fox Bite said:

I am sorry to say but these people behave this way only because they are allowed to do so and authorities are perfectly fine with it judging by lack of any action apart from very seldom tick-box “operations” with public notice well before their start.

I dont agree @Fox Bite I know of people who have called the report number and the authorities have attended and taken action. The responders will take your details and get back to you with actions and if they are close by an sms text to you. 

The problem is that there are not enough water police and fisheries boats to monitor our vast waterways. Pretty sure they know where the hotspots are and will be monitoring heavily. This may include aerial viewing ;)

Yep, attending the spot after everything and everyone has long gone is very good tick-box practice - procedure is followed and case is closed. People of Ettalong must be very pleased with outcome of their numerous petitions. :)

I have been out on the Georges and a jetskier has cut in front of me when I have been in a 40 foot Riviera. Then chose to fall off. I had to put throw the thing in reverse so hard.

They need to police this, and  get it under control...

Make the Georges a 15 knot limit.

16 hours ago, sydney south said:

Make the Georges a 15 knot limit.

You know as well as me that no matter what they do there will be imbecilles that break the speed limits and it would be impossible to police the whole river.

This applies to the waterways and the retards we are unfortunate to come across on the roads on a daily basis.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fab1 said:

You know as well as me that no matter what they do there will be imbecilles that break the speed limits and it would be impossible to police the whole river.

This applies to the waterways and the retards we are unfortunate to come across on the roads on a daily basis.

If it is 15 knots they won’t go there ;)

• Thanks 1

Going through high school and uni I used to paddle surf ski's on the hacking river at least three or four times a week. I had three separate occasions over the years where jet skiers thought it was hilarious to head straight for me then kick out at the last minute spraying me with water before heroically fleeing up the river.

Also used to surf the break over the bundeena/mainbar sand banks when the surf was really up and with the waves breaking across the entire bay they would come and ride around where we were surfing with no regards for required keep clear distances from paddle craft and swimmers. Didn't help  the fact that when we stacked it off the ski's we were practically impossible to see as a head bobing around on the other side of a wave when they would come flying over the top. Seems they were far more interested in having an audience than just enjoying the surf. 

In all the years paddling I never had an issue with any other users of the waterway. For me the sooner they ban them the better.

Rich

On 10/25/2018 at 2:55 PM, TK01 said:

Oh they are so irritating!  They get together in gangs and hoon around Brisbane Waters.  They've ruined a very popular local surf break at little box because it's too dangerous for surfers to be out there amongst them jumping over the back of waves without a care in the world.  They're loud and stupid and think they're cool but they're just idiots.  My brother bought one last year and I still can't look him in the eye...

They are supposed to keep 60m clear of anyone in the water for that very reason, shame it never gets enforced...

So?

“Training” courses for boat / PWC are merely a formality and knowledge test is a joke.

Regardless, drink driving, speeding, running red light are prohibited too. Are rules and prohibitions alone stopping anyone (from brainless mob)?