Brisbane waters bream flathead sorry no fotos

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

After yet another big work/commute week the boy came in early this morning and wanted to go crabbing. His sister (who I’ve barely seen) was up for it as well - the wife not keen so she stayed home.

after breakfast and preparations we put the boat in about 8:30am in woy woy. An absolute glorious morning I really didn’t care whether we caught anything or not.

we motored to our yabby spot and both kids had a blast splashing about - we got only 6 yabbies which was fine as the target species was blue swimmer crabs.

pulled up at the first spot and set out two hand reels and the boys rod with a rigged yabby. He struggled a bit casting and got fouled with weed a few times so I had a turn. I cast and drifted into a nice bit of structure and something sucked in the bait and I set the hook. On 6lbs and amongst the snags a good battle saw me narrowly win and get him into the chilly bin. A yellowfin bream and a healthy 29cms.

we headed to the next spot as I really wanted a crab. This time the boy monopolised the rod and after I baited it he casted it out and let it drift before engaging the bail arm. He came up tight and a hefty battle ensued, with me holding him as to not be pulled from the boat. After a bit of winding against the drag and some solid runs a 42cm blue spot flathead comes into the net. 

we made one more move and our 6th and last yabby got taken VERY strongly but I was too slow to set the hook as I was distracted by a nearby boat behaving strangely.

on the way back we had a swim and with the Mercury rising we were happy to be home in time for our seafood lunch. Thanks for reading.

Guest Guest123456789
58 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Sounds like a great day out mate and what better way to spend time with the kids!

Are you sure it was a blue spot flathead? Seems very far inland for a blue spot ! But nothing is impossible i guess.

Thanks Sam. I should have taken a picture. I recall a lot of white spots but yeah might have been another species