Boat Swamped at Broughton Island

Berleyguts

Sadly, a boat was swamped at Broughton Island this morning and the skipper had to swim to an anchored vessel in Coal Shaft Bay to call for help.

Hopefully, not a Raider.

Lots of bommies in that area - be careful, guys and stay alert! A friend I worked with lost her husband there a few years back and she had to raise her kids on her own. Don’t take unnecessary risks.

0CD3DA07-5B9F-40A5-B795-13073962BABE.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts

45 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Wow! There was a bit of swell about today! Dare say he got rolled by the bommie at cod rock! Glad all ended ok! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Yeah, or the one a bit north of Cod Rock. Like I said, there’s a heap of bommies up there. I always have to look around me and keep my eyes on the GPS/sounder, as I could be drifting along, working my lures and all of a sudden, I could find myself in a metre or two of water.

But, yes, glad no one was hurt or lost... and good work by our local Marine Rescue!

07C74B60-BCAD-4F82-8389-11AA72EA8995.jpeg

15 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Thank god no one was hurt.

Conditions today were terrible. Very different to the forecast

I got an alert yesterday re dangerous conditions for rock fishing etc. That’s usually a good tip that conditions might be dicey. ? A couple of divers were pulled out of the water last night too, down near Sydney, I think.

39 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I got an alert yesterday re dangerous conditions for rock fishing etc. That’s usually a good tip that conditions might be dicey. ? A couple of divers were pulled out of the water last night too, down near Sydney, I think.

Was that the Sydney forecast? I assume thats because the swell was up 1.3m but the forecast was also for 10s separation which usually is pretty comfortable as the break between the swells makes them almost unoticable.

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Was that the Sydney forecast? I assume thats because the swell was up 1.3m but the forecast was also for 10s separation which usually is pretty comfortable as the break between the swells makes them almost unoticable.

No. Just the alert on Willy Weather - for Hunter. I also get alerts from the RFA and through my fishing club. 

D3FCA556-3FE2-456E-B358-084ECF9A8AB9.png

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

No. Just the alert on Willy Weather - for Hunter. I also get alerts from the RFA and through my fishing club. 

D3FCA556-3FE2-456E-B358-084ECF9A8AB9.png

Given that im not fishing Macquarie or Hunter coastal waters its safe to say i had no warning of any diceyness lollll ?

Edited by GoingFishing

38 minutes ago, Smasher said:

That seems to me to be a pretty small boat to be heading 14km offshore, is it not?  

No, not really! Looks like a fair size tinny. Seen a lot smaller out there. As always depends on experience! 

In this case, either over confident or in unfamiliar territory or just sh&t happens! 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Yeah, or the one a bit north of Cod Rock. Like I said, there’s a heap of bommies up there. I always have to look around me and keep my eyes on the GPS/sounder, as I could be drifting along, working my lures and all of a sudden, I could find myself in a metre or two of water.

But, yes, glad no one was hurt or lost... and good work by our local Marine Rescue!

07C74B60-BCAD-4F82-8389-11AA72EA8995.jpeg

Gee’s, I can see a few good fishing spots there! I may have quiet a few reports on raider from those areas! ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Yes I took you there Baz! That area is all cod rock to me! ?

To be fair that first trip, you were pointing out so many areas, I couldn’t remember them all! ? We didn’t fish that ledge - we fished right in close (east) to that line of 4 rocks where the water surges through. I do need to explore more! ?

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

Smasher  it looks a bout 5mtrs  i go there all the time in a 4.8 vsea  the island itself is only 2 mile off the coast  its a 10 mile run up there  lots of boats this size fish there all year round  weather permitting like anywhere   the are just out from coalshaft is a mine field of bommies an shallow reefs that can break unexpectedly catchin people off gaurd that dont know the area or arnt watching where they are   il be up there on fri in mine