Southern calamari

Kingfish_Beast

Hi Kingfish Beast,

If you find these GPS coordinates then please share with the rest of us.

Slightly more seriously, I've been chasing squid for about 15 years and I think I am pretty competent at it. I find squid move around so what might fish well one day might not the next day. There are areas which produce squid more consistently and some of us have put in a lot of time to find these. I went to one of mine in Pittwater today and with three of us and limited time we didn't produce - if I desperately needed some then with a few more hours I think we would have been successful but this would have involved covering far more ground. I've had people ask me before where I caught some of my squid but advising them that technique is far more important than X marks the spot hasn't gone down well.

There are some good squiding articles on Fishraider. They (and myself) will tell you to look for areas with a combination of seaweed, sand and maybe small baitfish. A good example of this are a lot of the shorelines in Sydney. If casting towards these then mentally count down the squid jig over the drop offs. I prefer to cast parallel to the shore as it helps me cover distance.

Good luck in your hunt.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi Kingfish Beast,

If you find these GPS coordinates then please share with the rest of us.

Slightly more seriously, I've been chasing squid for about 15 years and I think I am pretty competent at it. I find squid move around so what might fish well one day might not the next day. There are areas which produce squid more consistently and some of us have put in a lot of time to find these. I went to one of mine in Pittwater today and with three of us and limited time we didn't produce - if I desperately needed some then with a few more hours I think we would have been successful but this would have involved covering far more ground. I've had people ask me before where I caught some of my squid but advising them that technique is far more important than X marks the spot hasn't gone down well.

There are some good squiding articles on Fishraider. They (and myself) will tell you to look for areas with a combination of seaweed, sand and maybe small baitfish. A good example of this are a lot of the shorelines in Sydney. If casting towards these then mentally count down the squid jig over the drop offs. I prefer to cast parallel to the shore as it helps me cover distance.

Good luck in your hunt.

Regards,

Derek

Very helpful advice KB. Derek knows what he's talking about. bn

• Thanks 1

KB about the only sure spot I know that produces every time ( or at least every time I have fished it for Squid ) is upshore  about 300 yards from Murrays boat ramp in Jervis Bay but a long way to go from Sydney for a feed of Squid. Other than that the mouth of Port hacking around the southern beach areas produce quiet often. Welcome to the site and hope you find success.

Frank

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...