Kings in the port hacking

Fischerfishin

After some advice from someone with some knowledge on Catching kingys in the hacking. 

After having no luck on catching them through winter I’m still yet to find where they are sitting. Any tips would be great, not after your secret spot but if someone could lead me in the right direction or show me some spots where they’ve been caught that would be awesome. 

My 2 setups I use are a daiwa gen black 2-7kg with a stradic 3000 with 15pound braid and 20 pound leader for smaller poppers and surface lures. And a daiwa saltist with a stradic 4000 with 20 pound braid and 30pound leader for bigger poppers and bait. 

Cheers in advance 

Best advice mate is give it another month or so until the water really starts warming up. The kings tend to be very few and far between while the water is cold.  Once they are in they tend to move around all of the deeper bays at times, best just to fish where the bait is holding. We are already seeing some good pillie schools in the river now so shouldn't be long until the pelagic's come in chasing them. Learn how to catch the pillies with a sabiki jig and send them out still twitching and you have the best bait you'll ever get for a King. Should also get lots of other surface fish such as tailor, salmon, bonnies, frigates, etc just depending on what has come in for any given season.

As a side note, the size in the Hacking is typically rats with the odd fish up to 75cm or so. If you're intent on chasing big kings specifically then the Harbour or Botany Bay tend to present better opportunities. 

Cheers,

Rich

Kings inshore are not easy, mostly because they are nomadic & they are very unpredictable on where they will be & what they will take.

Its about right place right time, right time right bait. 

No easy answer there unfortunately.

Edited by kingie chaser

I fish the Port quite a bit and at times have seen them everywhere from the flats in 2 ft of water to some of the deeper holes.  I am usually fishing for big flathead with livies on 1kg line and they can be a bit of a pain in the rear at times.  Most consistent places I've seen them is the drop-off at Lilli Pilli and the nearby moorings near Police mooring bouy and the southern shoreline of South West Arm.  Ron

• Like 2