The process for buying new boat?

Sea Ranger

Ohh btw yes I changed my user name.  I've been on here for 13 years and didn't think Noo2Oz was fitting any more. ;)

OK found a new boat that I want to purchase.  It didn't have the max size motor and I wanted that.  Dealer was happy to order in a new motor to hang on the back.

Dealer states normally when ordering a new motor it must be paid for in full prior to their ordering it.

Price sorted

Deposit made 

What usually comes next?

Should I pay half (which covers the cost of the motor) and the other half when the motor comes in?

Pay all now?

It is a new boat with a new motor should I request a sea trial before delivery?

it's only a 4.99 tinny however I want to do things correctly.

Cheers

Bear

Hi Bear,

Exciting times getting a new boat congratulations. When I purchased my boat new I had the motor as was so disgusted with the boat I owned I dumped it with meth heads in the hills. 

I only had to pay a 20% deposit and they custom made it for me and 2 months later it was ready. They put my motor on for me as well. 

I think it is always good to have some recourse so if it was me I would hold back 20 or 30 %. If you don’t think they are straight and might shirk if things are wrong then do a sea trial. 

Holding back some funds is totally acceptable in my opinion. Asking for upfront in full is un reasonable. 

Hey Bear

i paid 10% on order and balance on pick up which was 6 weeks after placing order.

i would be happy to pay 50% if the dealer is reputable and backed by a factory.

then go over the whole boat and make sure everything is correct and no damage as mine had a grease stain on the new seat trim which they tried to remove and it ended up marking the material.

They insured the boat, took me for a test spin and everything prior to me hooking up and driving off.

I would only give 50%. Definitely take it for a test drive once complete! And if everything checks out, that’s when I’d pay them! 

If you pay in full up front, I almost guarantee you it won’t be done in a timely fashion! 

Just my opinion! 

Good luck with your new purchase! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Yes definitely hold back some money, how much is up to you and the dealer to work out, also make sure the extras are 100% suitable to the boat, Trailer suitable, and I don't mean just sits on I mean suitable, make sure anchor chain and rope is large enough to hold boat at rest, life jackets don't settle for the cheap square $15 jobs that they usually want to throw in with the package. I would water test and test all equipment including bilge pump and live tank if fitted, make sure nothing leaks. But most of all enjoy your new toy and use it lots.

And I do like your NEW user name.

Frank