Smoked Cheese

antonywardle

HI

I thought I'd have a go at trying to smoke some cheese. I did a bit of research and then decided to try it out.

First, I decided that if this turned into a disaster, I didn't want to spend too much, so I went down to the shop and looked for cheap cheese. I had some aldi brand in the fridge, and I added Coon (on special) and Coles brand to my selection

496853320_cheese1(1).jpg.8f4e5daddd3b52a069c8f7636426e1fd.jpg

First step is to cut the cheese up in to smaller blocks, and then put them on a wire tray inside a baking tray. This allows the smoke to circulate.

I lit a couple of heat beads, and put some wood on for the smoke. I think I used some proper smoking wood. I put the cheese down one end and the fire down the other end, and then put the lid down on the BBQ and left it.

220373089_cheese1(6).jpg.915585ec271aacda36e220dd2298dce9.jpg

After about half an hour I went and had a look. I used my laser gadget to check the temperature of the cheese. It needs to stay less than about 30 degrees, otherwise it will go soft and melt. Mine was ok. The other thing to look out for is the cheese sweating. Initially, I think I had too many heat beads, so I ended up removing some.

1787690072_cheese1(4).jpg.1b342bffdfdbd17becbefbfd061c1e73.jpg

I ended up leaving it in there for a couple of hours, before bringing it inside.

812996523_cheese1(3).jpg.907ea355fcbdeb4bd7b4adaa04851330.jpg

I was expecting the colour to change a bit more than it did, but decided to leave it. The next thing to do is to wrap in plastic wrap, label them, and put in the fridge for a couple of weeks. You can try it straight away, but I heard that the taste is pretty ordinary. I put in the fridge and forgot about it. After a few weeks, I bout it out and tried it, and I'm pretty happy with the result. Nice smokey flavor. I can't really tell the if the different cheese styles made a difference or not, but I can taste the smoke when I make a toasted cheese sandwich.

cheese-finished.thumb.jpg.e2006e98f584e4267f7f8aabf603ae70.jpg

All up, I call it a success!

Thanks for reading

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2