Oz98

Hi all!

Decided to try my luck today at the mouth of Lake Illawarra, using my light shimano spin Rod combo, 2-4kg until I buy my proper saltwater gear. 

Had this rod since I was a young boy. Anyway it was a fine sunny day perfect temperature, with a bit of breeze as I was in the hunt for my first legal fish!

i was there an hour before high tide at 10:00am,  there was a  few punters already there and then more came later on. 

The swell was far too strong pushing the line back to the banks. Being a inexperienced but knowledgeable fisho I packed up knowing it wasn't to be as did the other regular fishos.

feeling hungry to catch a fish (mentally) lol, I went to a local harbour to try my luck....

found a good spot only to be crowded by kids jumping off into water, understandable!

as I fished a saw a massive stingray gliding through the water probably reducing my chances further...

just as I decided to leave a school of bull poddy mullet swam right past my lure, they were a good size probably 30cm but weren't having a bar of my squidgies pro range slick rig, pilly camo.

they fancy bread, peeled prawns and beach worms.

also chated with a local that told me a charter out wide managed to get some flatties.

all in all despite no fish for me (ughh!) I had a great day out by the water spending 2 hours fishing today different locations.

Despite no fish again for me I will not give up in the hunt for my first legal fish!

I will be out trying again on Tuesday. 🎣

Cheers all, I hope you enjoyed reading my report, until next time!

Tight lines!

👍👌🏼😄

Edited by Oz98
Typos
  • Like 2

Keep at it mate, persistence pays off in the end but research on things like location, tides & techniques will help.

Google can help in some of this-

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5026732/lake-producing-nice-flathead-and-bream/

http://www.catchmore.fish/Articles/Display/17920-Windang-to-Stanwell-Park

Anyway as you say, just getting out & enjoying the great aussies outdoors is what its all about :biggrinthumb:

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 4:18 PM, Lungfai76 said:

The mouth as in the breakwall? 

Local harbour as in Shellharbour? 

You sure did pick some difficult fishing spots 😁

Good to see you giving it a go, I've kept my rods dry due to lack of activity in the water. 

I fished at reddall reserve, opposite the right side of the bridge.

i had a look google maps and if I'm right it showed the area as where water from the ocean pours in through into the the lake...

I don't think hunk I'll be going back there, never been lucky there and lines get tangled when crowded...

will be trying a new spot that's deeper and covers more water land based at the lake.

as for the harbour I went down to wollongong harbour... not in its prime for years now.. might try a rocky platform nearby that might produce.....

Hahah it's been pretty rough here in the Illawarra... windy with hard swells. Will be going out sometime next week again hopefully with calmer conditions.

Cheers, Oz. 

17 hours ago, Oz98 said:

I fished at reddall reserve, opposite the right side of the bridge.

i had a look google maps and if I'm right it showed the area as where water from the ocean pours in through into the the lake...

I don't think hunk I'll be going back there, never been lucky there and lines get tangled when crowded...

will be trying a new spot that's deeper and covers more water land based at the lake.

as for the harbour I went down to wollongong harbour... not in its prime for years now.. might try a rocky platform nearby that might produce.....

Hahah it's been pretty rough here in the Illawarra... windy with hard swells. Will be going out sometime next week again hopefully with calmer conditions.

Cheers, Oz. 

Tip for Lake Illawarra Windang area, don't fish the deep fast running water, look for sand flats and sheltered areas where bait can hide. Picnic Island, the inside of the mini breakwall or Pur Pur Point. Unless you are chasing choppers. 

Wollongong harbour is horrible unless you chasing yellow tails 😅

Where are you based? At the moment slimeys and flatties are predominant. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lungfai76 said:

Tip for Lake Illawarra Windang area, don't fish the deep fast running water, look for sand flats and sheltered areas where bait can hide. Picnic Island, the inside of the mini breakwall or Pur Pur Point. Unless you are chasing choppers. 

Wollongong harbour is horrible unless you chasing yellow tails 😅

Where are you based? At the moment slimeys and flatties are predominant. 

Ah cheers man yep will be trying the breakwall for the lake next time.. high or low tide? 

I live in Wollongong, willing to catch anything lol still in the hunt for my first legal fish..

Will be fishing a rocky platform near the wollongong  harbour or near city beach which look more promising.

Cheers I really appreciate your help!  

Edited by Oz98