Rod set up for whiting on poppers

tunanocrust

Hey guys, 

Long time lurker first time poster,

I've been fishing out at the sand bar at grays point chasing whiting on poppers but 2 sessions down and still no bites, 

My current set up is a Shimano Raider Bream Spinning Rod 7ft 2in 1-4kg with 6 pound braid and  a small 4cm storm gomoku popper. 

I've read online the ideal retrieve is fast and straight for whiting  but I can't seem to get the  straight part sorted out.

The vibrations in tip of the rod seems to cause the popper to dart to one side on the retrieve.

My old rod is another graphite rod with a 2-7kg rating would switching back to a less sensitive rod correct the issue?

Cheers for the advice!

Doesn't need to be straight and not always fast, need to dart around left and right if possible. Are you using a loop knot or a blood knot? Vary the retrieve on fast to medium to stopping. You need to make enough noise to attract then give the fish time to react then chase then strike.

I would try different lures and it doesnt need to be a popper can be a small skinny stickbait. Crossfire lures and bassday lures are popular. Also I've had more success with 75mm lures than 40mm

I've also had some success with metal 1.5g and 3g lures lol

Edited by connico

with a popper I prefer a constant blooping retrieve being a flick of the rod tip not fast but quick enough the popper doesn't actually stop moving the aim is to make a splash and bloop like a prawn skipping across the surface, rapidly retrieving and shaking the rod tip is more of a stickbait retrieve (which I'm not particularly good at)

the most important thing for whiting is don't stop, 99% of the time whiting will instantly lose interest on a paused lure

• Like 1

Poppers require a different rig to a surface walker to work their best.

Surface walkers are fine on a longish light leader but your popper will swim better if you use a short, heavier leader. 30-45cm is plenty long enough and 12-15lb. FC or mono doesn't really matter as the lure is always moving and doesn't have time to sink.

Tie your popper directly to your leader with a tight knot such as a uni or a blood knot and this, along with the heavy leader will help it run straight.

The fish come at the popper from behind and are that fixated on the lure they don't notice the thicker leader.

Thanks alot guys for the advice!

I run a 6lb leader at the moment but I up it to something heavier and give it a go, 

I was running a blood knot but I'll invest a few more lures maybe a few larger size ones and keep trying. 

I currently work the lures over grass beds on the sand flats, it's there any other tips on finding places that hold fish?

Thanks again for the help!

Sand flats with life weedbeds baitfish etc.... look for small whiting in the shallows where theres small ones bigger ones wont be far away

Work the entire sand flat, whiting will patrol around and come from long distances to hit a popper

don't be afraid to work over the deeper edges 

12 hours ago, tunanocrust said:

Thanks dirvin21, 

I've made all the changes to the rig, fingers crossed the weather holds up this weekend to get out and give it another go! 

Don't worry too much about the weather. When its overcast and windy is when the flats fish best.

• Like 1

I like fishing when it's overcast even a light drizzle is fine but I don't like that wind.

I think the outfit you are using is suitable, I would perhaps change the location rather than the outfit, try further down towards the mouth of the river, some cracker Whiting in the system.

Frank