Sign in to follow this  
masterfisho7

Macro Photography

I am interested in trying macro photography have seen it on you tube and would love to get lens and have ago is anyone done this could you tell me a little about it this would be great. I use Canon camera.

204_1_1.jpg

Edited by masterfisho7

I have a macro lens which attaches to my other lens on my Canon EOS camera. I did take some very close up photos of grape vines, flora and a dragonfly which was resting on a peach. All of these were taken freehand but I concluded that they would need to be taken on a tripod (ideally). Of course, 99% of my photos are "on the spot snapshots" so I sort of dropped the idea. Here's a couple which I kept. Cheers, bn

IMG_9387rs.jpg.9bf82e7aa239d5ad7d0ba7e7e4043e2a.jpgIMG_9410rs.thumb.jpg.d6a4c669f3d8ba490ce4e77bf0c89088.jpgIMG_9404rs.jpg.d72737a08419f16f7bddb9a36c187295.jpgIMG_9388rs.jpg.59bfebf41f37882fb020ca6a78b31e87.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you Neil I am very interested doing this mate your photos look so good I am looking into lens with ones to get 

I used to use a 100mm 2.8 canon macro which was extremely good, I gave it to my eldest daughter and bought a 60mm canon macro for my youngest daughter which is also extremely good.

To get the most out of them using a ring flash will make life far easier. Both of my girls have had numerous competition wins using their macro's. You don't have to spend big to get a good little ring flash, my youngest uses a $100 ring flash which produces images every bit as good as the $1000 lights I used to use https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/macro-ringlights/ci/32959/N/3607616133

I recently had someone ask advice on a decent macro setup where my recommendation was for them to look closely at the Olympus tg 5 compact camera. They ended purchasing one and couldn't be happier, this is a complete camera that can even be used underwater https://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/advanced-compact-cameras/fixed-lens/olympus-tough-tg-5/  The macro allows for greater magnification than most macro lenses but also produces amazing video and stunning general photos to. There's much to be said for one easy to carry anywhere camera over slr bodies, lenses and lights. At a retail of around $500 this will be my next purchase when my old gear breaks.

• Like 3

I love getting into macro when I have the time and inclination.

I would suggest before you rush out and buy a dedicated lens that you get your self a set of extension tubes. These come in a few different sizes and fit between your lens and camera body allowing you to focus much closer than a standard lens alone. Note that if you buy a cheaper set you will probably have to shoot in manual mode and focus manually as well, which is no great handicap as most macro is shot this way anyhow.

If buying a first macro lens, may I suggest going for  a longer one than you suggest. Reason being if you want to shoot insects you are going to have to get incredibly close with a 28mm lens, maybe only 20mm from your subject and that's just not going to work. You'll also have problems with the lens casting shadows on your subject.

I would start out with either a 100 or 160mm lens depending weather you shoot a cropped sensor of full frame camera. I use a Canon EF 100mm IS lens on my 7D and find it great for bugs. Flowers and other things that don't move get shot with my 5DIII and the same lens.

Read up on google and be prepared to shoot pics with an incredibly short depth of field, sometimes less than 1mm.

Here's a couple of shots of mine to whet your appetite. The box fish was smaller than my little fingernail and to get it all in focus I took 9 shots and blended them in a focus stacking program I have, but the same can be done in photoshop CS.

Cicada.jpg

Ant.jpg

Box Fish.jpg

• Like 2

You most likely already own gear which can be used with reversing rings to do amazing close up work. This can be a little trickier to set up but there are plenty of YouTube tutorials that can help.

• Like 1

Looks like  2 different lenses there.

The top pic is the model with the image stabiliser, same as I have and the bottom one is the lens without IS, if its a Canon at all.

Notice top pic lens is an F2.8 and bottom is F4. 

Take a close look and you'll see plenty of difference between the two.

Edited by Green Hornet

58 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Looks like  2 different lenses there.

The top pic is the model with the image stabiliser, same as I have and the bottom one is the lens without IS, if its a Canon at all.

Notice top pic lens is an F2.8 and bottom is F4. 

Take a close look and you'll see plenty of difference between the two.

Thanks for the INFO mate I am looking for a lens Marco for my Canon EOS 1200d EF not sure what I am looking at 

21 minutes ago, masterfisho7 said:

Thanks for the INFO mate I am looking for a lens Marco for my Canon EOS 1200d EF not sure what I am looking at 

I've owned both Canon 100mm macros over the years. I ended up selling the original and moving on to the image stabilised version simply for its improved hand held shooting.

Either lens will work fine with your camera.

If your into them, either one also makes a very capable portrait lens.

• Like 1

The bottom lens is an older Canon FD series, which is useless as it is manual focus and it won't fit your autofocus camera without a special adapter :)

I still own the original Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro I bought in 2003, and will update it sooner or later. It is an amazing lens. Admittedly I also use the twin macro flash MT-24EX from Canon with diffusers. 

3 hours ago, Amatteroflight said:

The bottom lens is an older Canon FD series, which is useless as it is manual focus and it won't fit your autofocus camera without a special adapter :)

I still own the original Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro I bought in 2003, and will update it sooner or later. It is an amazing lens. Admittedly I also use the twin macro flash MT-24EX from Canon with diffusers. 

Thank you for your advice I am just getting into using these lens

• Thanks 1