Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning near the mouth of Yowie Bay.

Best baits were slimy strips from a couple I caught in Bate Bay the other day. The reddies, only just pannies, and the jew took the slimy baits. Handline jew for a good fight. Around sun-up, the pickers moved in and chewed off baits in no time.

A bit hard to see in the photos, but 2 of the reddies had a piece missing from the back of the neck just before the dorsal spines. Upon filleting, no problem seen with the fish's spine, just a piece of flesh missing like a small bite mark.

Predicted the jew would shrink a little after capture, so I judged it right to be just above legal size.

Moved up to near Greys Point and spotted surface action. After many casts and a few follow ups to a small metal lure, hooked up a small kingie, but the hook pulled after a while. The kingies swam around the boat, around the 50 to 55cm mark.

Headed to South West Arm for the tailor, only hit on the lure up there.

fish.jpeg.169_files_files.thumb.png.8e42da034a2a79f7aafed8b953114a64.png

• Like 4

Thank you all.

One thing I forgot to mention was that while I was anchored, I pulled out a sweep on the yakka line, killed it and threw it out. Dead sweep float on the surface, so I feed them to the sea eagles that cruise about. None turned up today as they were fishing elsewhere.

The sweep was only in the water a short time, when a small fin appeared and something grabbed the sweep. Did not see the head, nor much of the body, but the fin and tail were light to mid brown in colour and the critter was not a lot over the metre mark.

The tail popped out of the water twice during the feeding, the upper lobe was long compared to the small lower tail lobe, and there was a triangular patch of skin near the top of the upper tail lobe. My shark book indicates something similar to a bull shark, or other related sharks.

As the kingies are cruising about, so will the bigger critters be there.

Edited by Yowie

14 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Yowie, the jewie would have been fun on a handline...I got one bang on 70cm last week and had the same thpoughts about shrinkage:)

Around that size, the jewie's will easily shrink 1cm in length after death. Can be a trap for the inexperienced, and the Fisheries Inspectors only care about the final length.

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Good work yowie! Different looking mat there! Plenty of Jews about up here too! Enjoy 😊 

cheers scratchie!!! 

BBQ jewie fillets last night with some visitors.

The same old mat I have used for some time.

8 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice work yowie :biggrinthumb:

Wow kings up near greys point, is that unusual??

No. The kingies are working their way around the deeper water chasing baitfish, even if the water is a bit shallow in places. Of the many I saw swimming about, none appeared legal size. Not to say that some bigger ones are sitting underneath.

• Like 1